They Told Me If I Voted Republican the WH Would Start Threatening Reporters ...

They Told Me If I Voted Republican the White House Would Start Threatening Reporters, And They Were Right!
by Bryan Preston

2013/02/27

Legendary reporter Bob Woodward tells Politico that White House staffers have threatened him over his sequester reporting.

[quote]Bob Woodward said this evening on CNN that a “very senior person” at the White House warned him in an email that he would “regret doing this,” the same day he has continued to slam President Barack Obama over the looming forced cuts known as the sequester.

CNN host Wolf Blitzer said that the network invited a White House official to debate Woodward on-air, but the White House declined.

What’s there to debate? Bob Woodward’s reporting has spoiled Obama’s plan. That plan was to blame the entire sequester on Republicans, then allow the cuts to hit, and blame them again. Woodward reported that the sequester was the Obama White House’s idea, blowing the plan to bits.[/quote]
This is not a sneer on my part, but if you think Woodward too professional and courageous to be intimidated by this threat, why didn’t he name the e-mailer? Proving the e-mail exists? Hardly. Proving the identity of the e-mailer? Again, Hardly. Privacy concerns? Surely you jest! Woodward may eventually name the name, but for now he’s pulling his punches, almost like he’s trying to warn the WH into stopping this fight rather than going full-bore after this WH’s abuse. IF that is what Woodward is attempting, I think his chances of success less than 50%. And that isn’t the height of professionalism or courage. OTOH, he wasn’t cowed into silence, so there is some professionalism and courage in what he is doing, and if the WH doesn’t back down, they may push him into naming names.

Maybe Bob is fishing for a ‘Deep Throat’.

Woodward fishing for another, “Deep Throat”?

I guess he did

UPDATE: The official Woodward is referencing is Gene Sperling, a top economic aide, as BuzzFeed reported last night and we confirmed. Sources tell us the White House might release the full exchange to show it was much more innocuous than Woodward suggests.

ANOTHER UPDATE. We have obtained the actual email exchange and posted it here.

Behind the Curtain: Bob Woodward at war - POLITICO.com

and the email-link

But I do truly believe you should rethink your comment about saying saying that Potus asking for revenues is moving the goal post. I know you may not believe this, but as a friend, I think you will regret staking out that claim.

Exclusive: The Woodward, Sperling emails revealed - Mike Allen and Jim VandeHei - POLITICO.com

He comes from that by-gone age of journalism where there used to be small spark of neutrality in reporting and reporters sought the story not the reaction. He is a bleeding-hearted liberal, but I am glad to see him take the professional role and, after his long illustrious career, have himself reemerge into the history books once more by exposing a lie.

NBC’s Top Political Analyst: Woodward Email Was “The Nicest Brush-back” Any Reporter’s Ever Received
Ace of Spades
2/28/13

Noah C. Rothman wrote an excellent essay on this matter, and suggests that Woodward had ever reason to take the White House’s threat as a threat, because they’d similarly gone to war against FoxNews.

So when they say “You’ll regret this,” they are not speaking abstractly. They have a plan they put into place when someone reports something they don’t like.

Now, the media of course said nothing about the War on Fox, but perhaps that’s excusable, as, being archliberals, they buy the spin that Fox News is a propaganda arm for conservatives.

But now this same battleplan is being used against Bob Woodward. …

There are several lies Woodward has exposed:

1. Obama, despite the media blitz to blame the GOP, actually conceived of and proposed the sequester.

2. Obama, despite now claiming that tax increases must be part of the deal to avoid the sequester, agreed last year that only spending cuts would constitute the plan to avoid the sequester. Thus, he’s “moved goalposts” yet again.

3. Obama does not in fact have to release illegal aliens or cancel ship deployments due to the sequester – he’s doing these things by choice, for political purposes.

It’s interesting to watch this. Seemingly, the Obama ***Mal***Administration’s Sequester Lie strategy was too big and too central to their efforts of the moment for Woodward to pass up (and maybe the rest of the MSM’s basic acceptance and parrotage stuck in his craw). He did the honest thing, reporting it and calling it out for what it was. This didn’t go over well with His Transparency, the Narcissist-in-Chief and his crew of sycophants, and they struck back. Then Woodward did what they thought he would never do … he reported the threat! Ace explains why he took the threat seriously. Consequently, Woodward is now under attack from many of “his own”, the MSM parrots.

John Nolte of Breitbart.com has a list of MSM folk who have bashed Woodward, a list he will be maintaining as more join the bash-chorus: Cult of Obama: List of Journalists Throwing Woodward Under Bus

Meanwhile, unlike the rest of them, Woodward has a clear conscience in this matter.