THOMAS SOWELL - Ted Cruz

For those who know who Thomas Sowell is - from the Hoover Institute at my alma mater, Stanford - he just announced his endorsement of Ted Cruz. I’m not a bit surprised. It won’t matter much, except to those of us who recognize the long standing brilliance of Dr. Sowell.

I posted an article years ago of Sowell’s and I had a left wing nut jump in and tell me the article was racist. I pointed out that Sowell is black. His reply— chirp chirp chirp

Thomas Sowell is one of the best intellects of this era. His wisdom shines!

PLEASE don’t take this wrong. That Dr. Sowell endorsed Sen Cruz is all well and good. I just don’t much care for endorsements, as they insinuate that I should approve of someone just because someone I admire does.
Then again, maybe I misunderstand endorsements for being more than, "Hey, ya might want to take a look at this guy."
In which case, okie doke.

Mike, do you have a link? I’d like to read why Dr. Sowell approves of Sen. Cruz so much that he’d put his name to his approval. That way, we can assess Dr. Sowell’s way of thinking.

Go to Drudge and scroll down to Dr. Sowell’s name and click on it. You’ll be taken to his column–and an archive of ALL of his columns. You’ll probably find it there. I agree. Sowell is BRILLIANT and would make a superb President if he was dumb enough to become a politician…which he’s NOT.

Is this the article to which you refer?
Tragedy and Choices | RealClearPolitics

A snippet:

As someone who once clerked for a Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, he will know how important choosing Justice Scalia’s replacement will be. And he has the intellect to understand much more.

A mindful assessment with which I happen to agree.

{For future reference, all you need do is highlight the addy in your address bar, copy, then paste it.}

Scalia’s death has certainly made me more likely to vote for Cruz. Him and Carson are the ones I trust the most to appoint constitutionally-minded justices.

Solidified my vote in a heartbeat.

This is a toughie for me because it was Cruz’s religious spiels that turned me off. 'Lay off it already. I prefer to hear your politics; not your sanctimoniousness.‘
At the same time, mind you, I can’t deny that our country is suffering from our not adhering to President Adams’ words that our Constitution would never work nor survive without a moral and religious people.

Sen. Cruz cannot change that, but character DOES matter, and it’s his adherence, and wealth of knowledge of, the Constitution, especially when considering Supreme Court nominees, that convinced of who is best for POTUS.

Now if somebody could just insert some vim and vigor into his campaign, we’d have it!

2cent - sorry I didn’t see your request for a link before now, but I had no link - A faculty member at Stanford called me. I just read the article linked in this thread. Doesn’t Sowell have a wonderful way of simplifying the situation down to its basic elements? His reasoning sounded perfectly reasonable to me. Sadly, and to your point that endorsements generally mean little, I imagine few people have heard of Sowell. For that matter, I doubt if 20% of the population could tell you who Scalia was. I heard the other day a poll among millennials revealed that 10% of the respondents thought Judge Judy was on the Supreme Court. I hope like hell that was intended as a joke, but I wouldn’t bet on it.

Mike, I didn’t realize 'til now that I confuse you w/P.Dave. Oops. (But nothing seems broken, so please don’t try to fix it.)

Yes, Dr. Sowell does have a way with words and a great mind to go with them. Sadly, you’re probably right about how many recognize the name.

I read about that survey saying 20% didn’t know who Scalia is. Worse? Some people, who I consider to be at least right-leaning, didn’t see a problem with that.
[In all honesty, I guess my teachers didn’t, either, because I don’t recall having to learn who any of them were.]
I think that’s terrible. Maybe I expect too much?

All of which goes to show how much we need to keep Common Core Rubio OUT of the W.H., and as far away from our school system as possible. (I’d say the same about Jeb if I didn’t think a blind man had better aim than he does.)