Those ain't Pennsylvania mountains

I am watching “The Deer Hunter” for the first time in ages and thinking “those are not Pennsylvania mountains” and sure enough I looked it up on Google the are the Cascades which I have visited a few times.

Speaking of Pennsylvania, yesterday was a disaster for social conservatives in the Keystone State. What has been since 2010 a Republican majority on the state Supreme Court has now become a 5 -2 Democratic majority, as Dems took advantage of a low turnout election to brand the GOP candidates for three open seats as dangerous to a woman’s right to choose.

One huge reason that the GOP has become increasingly uncompetitive in much of the country is the abortion issue. Forty years on, the right is still perceived to be in danger, and continues to motivate women and Democratic activists to get out the vote for liberals.

[MENTION=9435]Jazzhead[/MENTION], the appropriate venue for your post is either In The News or Left vs. Right. I encourage you to start a thread on your topic, with a linked article so RO-folks can see the story on which you are commenting.

Skeptic, Hollyweird does that a lot. In the movie “Down Periscope” the submarine “USS Stingray” is shown going out to sea with what is supposedly hill of Charleston, SC or Norfolk, VA in the background. The submarine used in the movie is actually the USS Pampanito, a museum boat at one of SF’s piers, and the hills in the background are near Benicia, in Suisun Bay, NE of San Francisco Bay.

There is also an anachronism in the movie in saying that the “USS Stingray” is of the Balao Class. The boat used, the USS Pampanito is of the Balao Class, but the real USS Stingray was of the earlier Salmon Class. USS Stingray was commissioned in 1938, served in and survived WW2 (15 war patrols!), and was scrapped in 1947.

Being a movie buff I frequently read the sites where they have the facts on movies made. Many times it is pointed out that besides goofs, they list landmarks which tells us that where the event happened is far from that area. Also mentioned is inaccuracy when it comes to such things as dress or equipment used. For example guns in the movie may be from a later period that what is claimed in the movie.

There was a movie - can’t remember the title, it was a Western with Gary Cooper and Joan Crawford. It was supposedly set very near where I live. As far as I know, there was one scene shot in this area. It was a scene of trading with the Indians. The camera was on the fire tower, about three miles or so from here. They also had a shot of Cooper and Crawford sitting on a rock in the area. But Cooper and Crawford were never here, and the background - although taken here - was just a backdrop.

[quote=“Susanna, post:6, topic:47622”]
There was a movie - can’t remember the title, it was a Western with Gary Cooper and Joan Crawford. It was supposedly set very near where I live. As far as I know, there was one scene shot in this area. It was a scene of trading with the Indians. The camera was on the fire tower, about three miles or so from here. They also had a shot of Cooper and Crawford sitting on a rock in the area. But Cooper and Crawford were never here, and the background - although taken here - was just a backdrop.
[/quote]That is common with scenes shot where the actors are no where around like the exterior of buildings and the actual shots are on a sound stage.

Some of the goofs that can happen is a period piece and you see a jet in the background or cars driving by.

I remember seeing jet trails in the original “Planet of the Apes” movie. Or was that a TV series? Can’t remember.

I remember being disappointed when I found out that “Groundhog Day” wasn’t filmed in Punxatawney.

I cannot remember the movie you refer to. The only Crawford-Cooper movie I remember was “Today We Live” but that was a WW2 movie.

I think it was something like “The Unconquered.” Not sure exactly.

“Unconquered” was set just after the French and Indian War, but Joan Crawford wasn’t in it, I am pretty sure. Could be wrong, though. Great Movie, with a huge cast.

Today We Live (1933) - IMDb

The only movie they did together.

I’m sure that was the one; I’m not absolutely sure about Joan Crawford, myself. Somewhere, I have a newspaper clipping about it (not from the time, but a couple years ago when our local paper published an article about it). The two pictures I mentioned were included in the article, the one taken from the fire tower, and the one of the two stars with the backdrop. There was also a picture of an Indian chief, I think, played by Boris Karloff.

And what I saw in that newspaper clipping is absolutely all I ever knew about the movie. Never saw it myself.

Yep, I do believe Boris was in that film.
Anyways, I get your point. I didn’t mean to make an issue of it, I was just trying to remember the movie you referred to. At our age, memory can be a dirty word.

Ain’t it the truth!

You were right, anyway. It was Paulette Goddard. (Just Googled it).

I love catching goofs in movies/shows. Of course I can’t think of many at the moment, (that memory thing), but one that happens repeatedly in The Waltons is someone will be coming home while it’s dark out, the next scene is an indoor shot - and the sun will be shining through the windows. lol.

Generally speaking, there’s lots of silly ones that I wonder if those making the film simply don’t catch, or just hope the audience doesn’t.
Such as, same basic scene, a guy comes back out of the kitchen in a different shirt than he had on not two minutes ago. Two minutes later, he’s back in the same shirt he had on previously.