Tina Turner renounces her U.S. citizenship

Couldn’t ‘Possibly’ be taxes huh?

Full Title: Let’s stay together? Tina Turner renounces her U.S. citizenship to become Swiss (so how much tax will she now pay?)

Tina Turner is renouncing her American citizenship to become Swiss, it was revealed today.

The American rock diva has lived in the Zurich suburb of Kuesnacht since the mid-1990s and speaks fluent German.

The local Zuerichsee-Zeitung newspaper said on its website the local council announced its decision to grant the 73-year-old Turner citizenship in an official notice published in Friday’s edition.

The decision still requires formal approval from state and federal authorities.

The Proud Mary singer told a local German newspaper: ‘I’m very happy in Switzerland and I feel at home here. I cannot imagine a better place to live.’

More at link: Tina Turner renounces American citizenship to become Swiss | Mail Online

Darn!
Our National IQ just fell by 3 points…

Switzerland supports dual citizenship, right?

Good riddance… What’s love got to do with it??

From the article:

‘I think anytime a person, whether they’re world-renowned or the most meek and mild, makes the decision to change their citizenship we need to step back and think what causes that decision,’ Matherne, [Turner’s hometown mayor] said.

The most articulate and well-stated responses I’ve heard yet.

I wouldn’t go so far as patting Tina Turner on the back for this decision, but I don’t exactly blame or fault her, either. She’s been living in Switzerland for nigh on 15 years now. She’d be a bit of a hypocrite for not wanting to become a citizen of the country where she lives and enjoys the lifestyle and whatever benefits that country may be of to her.

If Tina Turner has ever bashed the U.S., I’m yet to hear of it.
…unlike the hypocrites who do and swear to leave, but never put their money where their mouth is.

Very true, 2cent! I stand corrected! :beerchug:

Now that was very broad-minded of you. Sincerely. Rarely will a person stop and and think, “Maybe I had it all wrong,”, much less publicaly admit it.
:beerchug: back atcha, sister!

It’s hard for those of us who grew up in a country where we took so much pride in the fact that people risked their very lives to get to for the promise of a better life. I’ve ‘kissed the ground I’ve walked on’ many times just for the blessing of having been born in the greatest country in the world!
So you gotta know that it breaks my heart to admit this isn’t the country we grew up in: the one where to ALL people it meant, "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness!"
As, “Hope breeds eternal”, I don’t know that I’ll ever throw in the towel, but it’s a no wonder that many true patriots are hunting more fertile ground to live out the lives they thought they could live here.

—But I think that’s far removed from Tina Turner’s motives. Her move strikes me more as moving toward than away. A place where her sweetheart is, whatever. I admire her for her sincerity. She took the time and effort to learn Switzerland’s constitution, take the tests, and commit herself to it; even though Switzerland and the U.S. allow dual citizenship.
Heaven knows we never looked at people coming here as traitors to their countries.

You summed it up there.