Too Much Mercury in Tuna Now

“*Consumer Reportsrecently criticized the FDA guidelines on fish consumption as inadequate, saying that *anyone who eats 24 ounces or more of fish per week — or about six servings — “should steer clear of high-mercury choices,” and warning people not to eat canned tuna or sushi made from tuna.”
**How we ruined the oceans

*However, Consumer Reports disagrees with the recommendations from the FDA and EPA on how much tuna women and children may eat. (We don’t think pregnant women should eat *any.) We also believe the agencies do not do enough to guide consumers to the best low-mercury seafood choices. To make decisions easier for consumers, our chart below gives advice about good low-mercury choices.

**Mercury in Fish | Low Mercury and High Mercury Fishes - Consumer Reports

That’s a shame. Tuna’s one of my favorites.

Some other details on that.

1 Like

Women can always take fish oil to get the necessary vitamins

Good find.

The linked article as a whole sounds like more scare mongering to me.
I’d have to see the total study. I’d have to read up on the personal history
of the “scientists” to see if they had any past history of telling deliberate
lies in order to promote their political-ideological agenda.

I’d have to see the money bottom line $$$$$$$$.

I’d have to know:

(1) who had the money and what they wanted to hear

(2) then I’d have to know who got the money

(3) then I’d have to make a judgment call on this: Did or did not these “scientists” sell their soul for MONEY

(4) then I’d have to make a judgment call on this: Did or did not these “scientists” sell their soul for their POLITICAL/IDEOLOGICAL agenda?

Do I believe that large numbers of liberal secular “scientists” would do that? ** Yes! **

I’d also have to see more than mere issued proclamations and bold assertions, which was all that linked article
was. That Week article was just one bold assertion and issued-proclamation after the other.

Anybody can do that. Watch this: The world will end on March 1, 2015.

A groundbreaking new study,

Most of the major scientific “studies” that turned out to be Bull Mah-new-ah
was also said to be “groundbreaking.”

recently published in Science,

Wonder how much scare mongering Science magazine has published that never came true (since its first issue)?

warned that our oceans are being irreparably damaged by human activity

Bold assertion. 

Here is another one: Thirty years hence, reputable scientists will make new discoveries that
will easily allow humanity to remove 100% of whatever damage has been done to all the
Earth's oceans. 

Here is another one: Thirty-one years hence reputable scientists will discover that the damage
to all the Earth's oceans was very slight and the total repair job, using the new scientific discovery,
took only 4 months.

and could be on “the precipice of a major extinction event.”

“Could be”? The scare monger said “could be” … that means, on his phraseology, that
we also could not be.

Coral reefs, home to a quarter of the ocean’s fish, have declined by 40 percent worldwide.

40%? Why not 41%? Or 43% or 39%?

I’d have to see the actual HARD EVIDENCE that compellingly UPHELD his claim that it was 40%.

I’m going to guess that these scare mongers and prophets of doom and gloom produced this "study"
because they knew the people that paid their salaries $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ wanted to hear what
they “discovered.”

Stocks of swordfish, yellowfin tuna, and other large fish that people avidly eat are down by 90 percent.

Down 90%, er? I’d like to see the HARD EVIDENCE upholding that statement. (No doubt the “scientists” that conducted this "study"
have personally explored every square mile of the world’s oceans and know exactly how many of the fish they referenced are
down there …

… as well as knowing how many of those fish WERE DOWN THERE, so they could come up with their 90% figure. /hysterical sarcasm … lol …

One more point:
I smell scare mongering designed to promote and justify
more government control and increased regulation over
people’s lives. **

`

Remember when it would take Lake Erie 100 years to recover from the damage that practically eliminated the fish in it? About two decades later, the fish were back in abundance.

[quote=“Swaggy_D, post:1, topic:46059”]
"*Consumer Reportsrecently criticized the FDA guidelines on fish consumption as inadequate, saying that *anyone who eats 24 ounces or more of fish per week — or about six servings — “should steer clear of high-mercury choices,” and warning people not to eat canned tuna or sushi made from tuna."
**How we ruined the oceans

*However, Consumer Reports disagrees with the recommendations from the FDA and EPA on how much tuna women and children may eat. (We don’t think pregnant women should eat *any.) We also believe the agencies do not do enough to guide consumers to the best low-mercury seafood choices. To make decisions easier for consumers, our chart below gives advice about good low-mercury choices.

**Mercury in Fish | Low Mercury and High Mercury Fishes - Consumer Reports

That’s a shame. Tuna’s one of my favorites.
[/quote]Well, I won’t eat it then. I’ll just hold it under my tongue and take my temperature.

While their have been lies (and embellishments) about the garbage patch, your article doesn’t talk about high levels of Mercury being found in fish, which is the part you quoted. I assume you’re not disputing that?

Also, the article I cited doesn’t have that picture, and makes clear what Patch really is: Our oceans contain an estimated 5.25 trillion pieces of plastic — most of them less than 5 millimeters wide — weighing a total of 269,000 tons. A lot of this detritus, which mostly comes from plastic bottles and discarded commercial fishing gear, has collected in vast systems of rotating ocean currents, known as gyres. The largest such collection, the “Great Pacific Garbage Patch,” covers an area twice the size of Texas. The mostly tiny pieces of plastic in this and other patches contain many potentially hazardous chemicals, and are being eaten by fish and birds that mistake them for plankton or small fish. As smaller animals are eaten in turn by predatory fish, the plastic becomes more concentrated and winds up in people who eat seafood.

Apparently they did not get the message–how uncivil of them

I make only one specific point and that point is restricted to the passage
you selected to post up there:

According to the language in the passage you selected to quote
and to bold, there is no actually experienced hazardous chemicals,
only “potentially hazardous chemicals.”

Moreover according to your selected passage up there, the plastic that
"winds up in people who eat seafood" is not experienced hazardous
chemicals, but only “potentially hazardous chemicals.”

:diamonds:

:grin: I grinned broadly. Its fun to laugh and have a good time.

In the eight states surrounding the five Great Lakes, there
are more than 144 coal-fired power plants pumping more
than 13,000 pounds of mercury into the air every year.1
Approximately 20 percent of that airborne mercury pollution
is deposited locally, into the soil, rivers, and lakes, where
bacteria convert them to methylmercury, the most toxic
form of mercury.

There’s that pesky mercury again.

In all fairness, I blame this partly on the environmentalists who freak out about nuclear power, damming up rivers for hydroelectric, and the birds that sometimes get “cooked” around solar plants (like the ones near Vegas).

Humans aren’t going anywhere, we like to live with electricity, and we’ll tolerate a few dead birds if it means less mercury in our diet.

Yes, potentially hazardous. We don’t know enough yet about plastic in the foodchain. That doesn’t mean you should start eating plastic, Jack, or that we shouldn’t worry that there’s hundreds of thousands of tons of it in the ocean. Who knows what kind of effects we’ll see down the road?

Mercury, though, is terrible. I hadn’t realized it was so bad we have to be warned about how much tuna we eat. Nor do I think this is ConsumerReports or the FDA and EPA hyping the danger. It’s not that hard to test random fish for mercury levels.

Where’s all this mercury coming from?

"Some of the major sources of mercury pollution in the US include coal-fired power plants, boilers, steel production, incinerators, and cement plants. Power plants are the largest source, emitting around 33 tons of mercury pollution in the US annually, and contributing to almost half of all mercury emissions."
NRDC: Mercury Contamination in Fish - Know Where It’s Coming From

The smog fairy must be asleep at the switch.

Let us then strongly emphasize the potential element of this, and let us NOT
do what most do, which is to make only token reference to the “maybe” words
such as “potential” and then after their tokenism has been established, they
start filling their articles with large numbers of unproven assertions and
bold proclamations, as if their large number of “maybe” words had not
been uttered.

We don’t know enough yet about plastic in the food chain.

Exactly! And until we do know, its all speculation and guess work.

Meanwhile, I will tell one thing we DO know, and that is this: Some liberal "scientists"
connected with the Eviro Movement are fanatical ideologues that have lied in order
to push their fanatical Envro agenda down the throats of the American public.

That doesn’t mean you should start eating plastic, Jack,

Straw Man.

I never said or implied that I should.

or that we shouldn’t worry that there’s hundreds of thousands of tons of it in the ocean.

I don’t worry about it any at all. Not ever.

Who knows what kind of effects we’ll see down the road?

Exactly! Who knows? Not me. Not you. Not the “scientists” who issue the warnings.

Mercury, though, is terrible. I hadn’t realized it was so bad we have to be warned
about how much tuna we eat. Nor do I think this is ConsumerReports or the FDA
and EPA hyping the danger. It’s not that hard to test random fish for mercury levels.

I am not going to pay any attention to the “mercury scare” either, not until I see studies conducted
by scientists that I trust to be unbiased and not connected to government grant money and not
connected to their peer group which means needing their approval in order to keep their lucrative
good paying professorships at these liberal universities.

Where’s all this mercury coming from?

"Some of the major sources of mercury pollution in the US include coal-fired power plants, boilers, steel production, incinerators, and cement plants. Power plants are the largest source, emitting around 33 tons of mercury pollution in the US annually, and contributing to almost half of all mercury emissions."
NRDC: Mercury Contamination in Fish - Know Where It’s Coming From

I gotta see a lot of dead people before I become a believer. Or a lot of sick people. Then I have to
have a very reputable panel of several reputable medical doctors publically get on record as diagnosing
their deaths and sicknesses as being caused by ingesting or being around mercury.

When the new mercury light bulbs first were introduced some of the Ph.D’d scare mongers
wrote articles galore warning of death and worse. I see now they are everywhere and I
read an article the other day that said the amounts of mercury in one of those bulbs was
so insignificant that you were likely to be killed by lighting while wearing mismatched
socks with exactly 67 cents in pocket change in your left pants pocket, than you were
to be harmed by the mercury in one of those light bulbs.

2 Likes

Jack, if I read you right, you’re saying the levels of mercury (and plastic) that we’re being warned about aren’t really high enough to justify scaring us so much. It’s just more sensationalism and alarmism, which the media thrives on. Breaking News: what’s in your diet that will kill you tomorrow???

I’m sympathetic to that. You’ll find me in unexpected agreement on that. There always seems to something in our diet that is on the verge of causing instant death. Red meat, eggs, butter, even avocadoes. For a long time saturated fat was the boogeyman. Now it’s sugar. What will it be tomorrow? Remember when being two ounces overweight was a death sentence? Now you can be fat and healthy, if you simply walk around your neighborhood a couple times a week.

There’s a whole cottage industry devoted to scaring us. So you’ll find that I’m an unexpected ally on this topic. If it bleeds it leads, right? People want to know what’s out there that’s going to kill them. Those are the articles we click on.

One of the reasons people don’t take climate change seriously is because it’s been so ridiculously overhyped. The world will come to end unless we act NOW NOW NOW on climate change. That message sounds ridiculous to people when there hasn’t been noticeable warming for the past 15 years. If the danger truly is that great, then each year should be more Hellishly hotter than the last. But that’s not the case, so even the people who accept climate change and our role in it, don’t rate it a high priority. Even the worst case models call for a couple feet of rising oceans in the next hundred years, and some changing weather patterns. It’s not exactly the end of the world.

But! All that being said! That doesn’t mean I want mercury in my diet, or that we shouldn’t be concerned over what we’re putting in the air, or that megatons of plastic in the ocean is a good idea. We can educate people without terrifying them, and we can be better stewards of the Earth than we have been. I think Americans have made great strides in this area, and I fear a lot of our work is becoming undone by the actions of developing nations like India and China. Who can blame them? They want to live like we do. A car, a tv, a computer, a house that won’t collapse in a small earthquake…It’s sad to see the world being trashed the way it is.

And environmentalists, if you’re going to a world-wide conference, don’t fly in private jets! Book a coach seat like the rest of us common slobs. You totally undermine your own message when you trash the environment flying in a private jet to a global conference about how not to trash the environment.

I got on a bit of a rant there.

I’m a living testament to the fact that there is mercury in fish. Samples of my hair have indicated levels well above the average American.

Your article fails to mention that anthropogenic sources of Methylmercury have actually fallen. The United States currently puts out about 150 tons a year, which (relatively speaking) isn’t a whole lot. 1 volcano eruption would be close to double that.

Also, the article I cited doesn’t have that picture, and makes clear what Patch really is:

I took no issue with this, but note, your article never mentions something that mine does: certain species thrive due to the plastic.

It’s a flipside to the coin that’s rarely mentioned, but for all the damage we do, there are equally species who benefit from our presence. It’s not one-sided.

Swaggy,

I don’t think that was a rant at all. In fact I will give you an amen to the tone and spirit of
all that up there and I also thought the content sounded pretty good too. I read back over
it and I don’t see a single thing in it that I would not say amen to. All of it sounded very
reasonable to me.

Perhaps you will
read this slow
and carefully.
It may truly
encourage
you.

Here is my approach and thinking amidst all the Environmental
Hullabaloo:

Faith.

“Have faith in God.”__The Lord Christ

We have to approach the future with faith (otherwise both the present and the future
becomes de facto absurd and now so does the pointless past (what was all the
pointless human struggling for? Answer: All for nothing.

If the Sovereign God has planned for humanity to return to the law of the jungle
where tooth and claw rule and where humanity becomes savage barbarians like
those people in Mel Gibson’s Road Warrior or John Carpenter’s Escape From
New York, then the plan for humanity is not only absurd but evil as well.

Its insanity to even seriously entertain such a plan as a possibility.

The Bible presents the Sovereign God as being incapable of an absurd plan such
as that.

Such a plan is also an insult to the Lord Christ’ plan, who gave all His Christian
people the specific job of going into all the world and making disciples of all
nations, which is just another way of saying that Christendom’s job is to
eventually Christianize the entire world. I quickly note that a Christianized
world will obviously be characterized by law and order and economic success
and peace and prosperity and a clean planet as well.

The present, 21st century, makes no sense at all unless you look at it as one
small baby step in a master plan that eventually has the baby maturing into
a full grown man. The 21st century by itself, and in and of itself, is amazingly
absurd-ridiculous. Why so? Just listen to the nightly news. Merely observe
human behavior and beliefs. Look at the horror that is the lot of many
un-developing nations on the African continent, look at the befuddlement
of the entire West on many important social issues. Consider worldwide
prostitution with it’s millions of underage girls (and some males too in
this present Sodom-friendly 21st c. atmosphere). Consider the Sexual
Revolution throughout the West and the huge amount of major damage
it has done to the traditional family and the family’s salt social institutions
in the West. I could go on, but that’s enough to make the point: The 21st c.
is a giant kindergarten of some 7½ million immature unwise babies who
make constant unwise and immoral choices. The human race is in it’s infancy.

The collective wisdom and collective maturity of the human race has clearly
not risen above the collective wisdom and maturity of kindergarteners.

So where is all this leading? Answer: The Sovereign God has a plan to gradually
and incrementally lift the human race up to where one day in the far off future
many millenniums hence, it will finally experience “Graduation Day” and become
collectively an adult.

That means no human tribes will be beheading people, and humanity will no
longer be killing on a genocidal scale (WW I, WW II, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot,
etc), and in the science and high tech arena, no longer using fossil fuels for
energy.

And no longer putting plastic in the oceans. Kindergarteners often make a
big mess sloppy mess with their food and milk and their finger painting too.
And they don’t always “make it to the bathroom on time.”

So what is keeping the 21st century world of amazingly immature kindergarteners
on track? What is keeping them from destroying the planet? Who is making sure
that these big human babies survive so they, as the human race of the future via
their offspring, can one day have a Graduation Day? Answer: The Sovereign God
who has an exact blueprinted plan that is precisely on schedule and that will stay
on it’s exact precise schedule until the end of time. The Christian future here on
Earth is going to be quite beautiful.

If one wants a Second Grade, one cannot allow the First Grade to self-destruct.

If one wants a Graduation Day for the Senior Class, one cannot allow the
Kindergarten Class to self-destruct via it’s baby ignorance and childish
stupor. So to speak.

(Note: What I am talking about is plain old simple traditional Bible believing
Postmillennialism. And what is Postmillennialism? One writer correctly said,
“Postmillennialism is the view that Christ will return to the earth after the
Spirit-blessed Gospel has had overwhelming success in bringing the world
to the adoption of Christianity.”

Btw, just for your information,
Postmillennialism is not liberalism
Postmillennialism is not the social gospel
Postmillennialism is not universalism
Postmillennialism is not perfectionism
Postmillennialism is not nationalism

So what is the application of all that up there to the constant Enviro warnings
and all the scare mongering and the endless messages published by the
Prophets Of Doom and their cousins the Prophets Of Gloom?

Well each person will decide the application for themselves. I apply it like
this to (say) the mercury and plastic problems, I hold that: God has a plan,
and He permitted the problems for a purpose (if they are indeed problems),
and that in His good time He will incorporate all the actualities and all the
ramifications connected with mercury and plastic into a good thing for
humanity. We will learn. Learn good lessons. Trial and error. As a human
race we will improve. We’ll do better as the centuries roll forward.

They got a word for that. Progress.

What about your part in all this? As a good Calvinist I hold to human
free will and I hold that for every predestined goal, God has also
predestined a human means to achieve that goal. For example if
you have been predestined to help improve planet Earth’s
environment, then the means for you to do that has also been
predestined and you will freely choose to do it. You seem interested
in helping to improve the Earth’s environment. Maybe you will write
some books? Run for the US Congress? Run for office at the state
level? I’m being serious, I’m NOT making fun.

But whatever you do, imo, if you keep writing good and reasonable
posts like the one you wrote up there, you will be able to make a
valuable contribution to the discussion and to the coming improvements
in the environmental debates and battles yet ahead.

Keep the faith, and …

“Have faith in God.”__The Lord Christ

Thought For Today:

“Environmental warnings presented in an atmosphere of doom and gloom
and not in the context of a cheerful winning victorious positive-constructive,
are depressing and spirit-crushing.”__Me

You remember those two movies I aforementioned:

Scene From Mel Gibson’s Road Warrior

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fa/John_Carpenter_-1981-Escape_from_New_York(reissue).jpg

John Carpenter’s Escape From New York

See my post 52 here:
http://www.republicanoperative.com/forums/f31/warmest-year-record-well-sorta-maybe-actually-probably-not-47248/index6.html#post714688
for the reason why I mention such as these 2 movies. The point is that
some of the scientists and experts de facto predicted such as is presented
in these 2 movies.

PS
My apologies for such a short post. I will try to write more next time. :smile:

1 Like