Top IRS official will invoke 5th Amendment

WASHINGTON — A top IRS official in the division that reviews nonprofit groups will invoke the 5th Amendment and refuse to answer questions before a House committee investigating the agency’s improper screening of conservative nonprofit groups.

Lois Lerner, the head of the exempt organizations division of the IRS, won’t answer questions about what she knew about the improper screening — or why she didn’t disclose it to Congress, according to a letter from her defense lawyer, William W. Taylor III. Lerner was scheduled to appear before the House Oversight Committee on Wednesday.

“She has not committed any crime or made any misrepresentation but under the circumstances she has no choice but to take this course,” said a letter by Taylor to committee Chairman Darrell Issa (R-Vista). The letter, sent Monday, was obtained Tuesday by the Los Angeles Times.

Top IRS official will invoke 5th Amendment - latimes.com

GEE … I Wonder Why …?

President met with anti-Tea Party IRS union chief the day before agency targeted Tea Party..

The American Spectator : Obama and the IRS: The Smoking Gun?

“She has not committed any crime,” yet she pleads the 5th…

This illustrates the conundrum of “pleading the 5th” and the absurdity of her lawyer’s claim. Pleading the 5th intrinsically means the one so pleading did something illegal or which they believe was illegal. Pleading the 5th is a delaying tactic or a bet that other conclusive evidence of that crime won’t be found.

Her lawyer’s claim that, “She has not committed any crime,” is either absurd or evidence that she is misusing the 5th Amendment to avoid testifying about some one else who did. I’m guessing the latter …

Or, they don’t want to face the consequences that are both legal and/or political because they revealed someone else’s illegal activity. The 0bama admin has shown how they deal with dissent.

If my guess is correct, the Rs and any D with cajones need to ask questions that place her in a dilemma between speaking out or being so hyper-vehiculated as to be so unemployable in government she could not aspire to becoming an Assistant Dogcatcher & Chief Pooper-Scooper.

And Obama’s not lying about being clueless, (okay, I coulda chosen a better word), although his Chief of Staff and his lawyer admit to knowing about this.
R-i-g-h-t.

Btw, I heard Issa say last night that they’re still going to try to question her in hopes that she’ll have a change of heart.

Question: Somebody said something last night that got me confused, but I didn’t hear the whole thing. It sounded like he was inferring that these hearings aren’t under oath. (So he didn’t know why Lerner was bothering to take the 5th.)
Anybody know if I heard that wrong, and those being questioned are indeed being questioned under oath or not?

Lerner will go down and take a low-lying, low-level job somewhere until she can become a member of Hillary’s cabinet or one of her czars.

[quote=“2cent, post:6, topic:39553”]
And Obama’s not lying about being clueless, (okay, I coulda chosen a better word), although his Chief of Staff and his lawyer admit to knowing about this.
R-i-g-h-t.

Btw, I heard Issa say last night that they’re still going to try to question her in hopes that she’ll have a change of heart.

Question: Somebody said something last night that got me confused, but I didn’t hear the whole thing. It sounded like he was inferring that these hearings aren’t under oath. (So he didn’t know why Lerner was bothering to take the 5th.)
Anybody know if I heard that wrong, and those being questioned are indeed being questioned under oath or not?
[/quote]Peter Johnson Jr. Is DOJ spying a violation of the First Amendment? | Fox News Video

In a court of law, the evidence must indicate guilt. In a Congressional hearing, presumption has a place. Since she isn’t indicted for anything, yet, and since this is a fact finding proceeding, the impression she gives, can still hold some weight.

I see. Thank you.

[quote=“2cent, post:9, topic:39553”]
I see. Thank you.
[/quote]My pleasure.

And I’m hoping you’re a good guesser. (Seems like you are plenty often.)

Did you see any of the news clips yesterday with the previous IRS director being questioned by Baucus and W…(great. can’t think of his name, but he’s one of the more powerful Senators.) Anyway, they were both flat out calling the director a liar, and were NOT happy campers. Their vehemence caught me by surprise. It was great!

So, by their actions, I’m thinking you may get our wish. We’ll find out who are the sharper knives in the drawer, that’s for sure.

Well, she opened her mouth. I thought she might. She’s got her a farce of a lawyer. I don’t even play one on t.v., and even I knew once you open your mouth while pleading the 5th, anything you DO say can be questioned.
Oopsie!

This isn’t quite right. When someone pleads the fifth, it means that they believe their testimony would be incriminating, not illegal or criminal. For example, if your friend is murdered coincidentally while you’re in town, and you don’t have an alibi, it may be in your best interest to plead the fifth, as saying where you were could be incriminating and used as testimony against yourself.

incriminate:** to charge with** or show evidence or proof of involvement in a** crime or fault**.

Does the irony get any sweeter than an IRS Director having about the most inept lawyer on earth? LOL!

[quote=“2cent, post:15, topic:39553”]
Does the irony get any sweeter than an IRS Director having about the most inept lawyer on earth? LOL!
[/quote]Obama is representing her?

Yeah, good job. Showing evidence that someone committed a crime doesn’t mean they did it. You being in the same location of a murder victim is part of the evidence of your guilt. That doesn’t mean your guilty, and if you don’t have an alibi, it’s in your best interest to plead the fifth, and it’s sad that one of the most important rights of the Constitution is seen as protection for criminals, when the opposite is true. Any lawyer will tell you the same thing, and it’s why you absolutely should use the fifth until you lawyer is present.

I’ve posted this before but maybe it’s appropriate again:

Dont Talk to Police - YouTube

[quote=“Trekky0623, post:17, topic:39553”]
Yeah, good job. Showing evidence that someone committed a crime doesn’t mean they did it. You being in the same location of a murder victim is part of the evidence of your guilt. That doesn’t mean your guilty, and if you don’t have an alibi, it’s in your best interest to plead the fifth, and it’s sad that one of the most important rights of the Constitution is seen as protection for criminals, when the opposite is true. Any lawyer will tell you the same thing, and it’s why you absolutely should use the fifth until you lawyer is present.

I’ve posted this before but maybe it’s appropriate again:

Dont Talk to Police - YouTube
[/quote]You confuse the Court with a Congressional hearing. Not the same thing. In a Court of Law, EVIDENCE is presented as proof. The evidence must be conclusive in order to achieve an indictment. Pleading the Fifth in that instance is a good idea if you can be linked to the crime.
But, in a Congressional hearing, invoking the fifth, is akin to admitting wrongdoing. She did more to cast suspicion, than if she admitted she took orders form this administration.

I heard about that; and I hear they’re going to drag her back out to answer some questions…

[quote=“Tiny1, post:16, topic:39553”]
Obama is representing her?
[/quote]:howler::howler: