Trump A Conservative??

I’ll be brief:

Simply being non-politically correct and having a combative attitude does not necessarily make one a conservative.

1. Trump has uttered nary a word about reducing the size and scope of government.

2. He is for reducing taxes - a very good thing - but his tax plan doesn’t reduce the number of pages in the federal tax code or serve to fundamentally restructure it one bit.

3. Trump claims he can cut deals with Democrats in Congress. Hell, Repubs cutting deals with the likes of Pelosi and Reid; that’s part of the problem.

4. Trump’s donations (pay for favors) to politicians and his favoring the KELO decision (eminent domain) is little more than “Crony Capitalism” in action.

Is Trump a conservative? I think that is a fair question.

This is a great cause for concern and is evidenced by a huge article written in the National Review.

Trump is effective. He gets things done. Ask yourself if you want someone who agrees with you on %90 of concepts and gets nothing done other than growing the size of government(see Bush) or someone who agrees with you on %70 of things and actually makes progress on those things.

Trump will build a wall with between us and Mexico. I don’t think anyone doubts that. That is probably the single most important issue in this election. If we continue to have an open border, with millions of anchor babies being born in the future, how many ideologically “conservative” presidents do you think we will have again in our new Meximerica? Even if Trump doesn’t do everything you want him to do, he will preserve a country able to elect this person at a future time. If we don’t fix immigration, you can forget about ever having another deeply conservative president in the future.

So you can worry about perfect ideology with no results, or you can focus on getting important things done. Trump will get things done. If you want results, Trump will bring results. Would you prefer to nod your head when the Most Conservative President™ is giving a speech about how he *wishes *things would be? Or would you prefer to see actual progress on issues that are important to you?

If you want policy wonks and ideology, Trump isn’t your guy.
If you want results, Trump is by far your best choice.

No, it is not. America has had a border with Mexico ever since Mexico became a country. In fact, the present borders are the same as they were in the 1850s. The wall has never been necessary. And what if we do throw away billions of dollars we don’t have on the wall? Illegal immigrants will just use boats.

I’m against illegal immigration, but it’s not the most important issue. What we should do is end the incentives for people to come here illegally (such as in-state tuition). That will be much cheaper and much more effective than building a wall.

I disagree. If it were as easy to use boats, then roughly half the illegals coming into the country would be doing so by boat.

Well, I strongly disagree. Trump is effective because he has the ability to dominate the media and negotiate?? Great business attributes perhaps but those attributes don’t equal a good president.

I want a president who will first and foremost defend our Constitution and the people of this country. I want someone who is going to pander to the left just so it gets something done. He is NOT a conservative by any means. He is a liberal in disguise and his stripes have begun to show. This isn’t about negotiating a ‘deal’; this is about doing what IS in the best interest of this country based upon the principles and freedoms upon which this country was founded. I want a president who won’t compromise his principles for the sake of a deal. Perhaps most importantly, I want someone who will put country before himself. Sorry … I just don’t see Trump as having conservative principles and he would make a deal with the DEMS in a heartbeat if it was in the best interest of Trump.

I find it interesting that there are those who state that Trump will get things done … based on what he says. He has NO voting record to check. His business ventures have not all been stellar and he has done some unscrupulous things in business, not to mention being married and having affairs in his personal life. In other words, all this conservative ‘talk’ in my book is just ‘talk’; nothing he has actually done has been on the conservative side. It is one thing to wheel and deal in business … but it is one thing to wheel and deal with the lives of Americans. Every decision he makes (with no political background or knowledge of the Constitution or knowing the ins and outs of government) impacts all of us. Keep in mind that if he is seated; he will be the one assigning several Supreme Court justices that will have a tremendous impact on the future of this country for a very long time… I just don’t see him putting conservatives in place. He will place liberals or place someone he’s made a deal with… he’s been liberal for most of his life; has deep association with the Clintons; including their Foundation and he’s mostly voted liberal.

I want a president that will take this country in the right direction … not a talker and a wheeler and dealer.

Well, I strongly disagree. Trump is effective because he has the ability to dominate the media and negotiate?? Great business attributes perhaps but those attributes don’t equal a good president.

I want a president who will first and foremost defend our Constitution and the people of this country. I want someone who is going to pander to the left just so it gets something done. He is NOT a conservative by any means. He is a liberal in disguise and his stripes have begun to show. This isn’t about negotiating a ‘deal’; this is about doing what IS in the best interest of this country based upon the principles and freedoms upon which this country was founded. I want a president who won’t compromise his principles for the sake of a deal. Perhaps most importantly, I want someone who will put country before himself. Sorry … I just don’t see Trump as having conservative principles and he would make a deal with the DEMS in a heartbeat if it was in the best interest of Trump.

It’s not as easy, but if one is determined to come to America, they will find a way.

I don’t know how effective Trump would or would not be as president - and neither does anyone else on this board, despite claims to the contrary.

What I find alarming is not one respondent bothered to directly address any of the 4 points I noted. I agree with many of Trump’s points and disagree with some. I like the frankness he projects, and the sense of urgency.

I would simply caution not to confuse often self-serving/self-promotion, often abrasive and politically incorrect rhetoric with conservatism/conservative principles.

The National Review has always been their own little irrelevant elitist group of ivory tower intellectuals. They have no use for the peasants with pitchforks or anyone else not in their club.

Exactly 4 years ago they were running hit pieces on Newt to make way for their saviour Romney.

20 years ago their target was Pat Buchanan whose populist nationalistic stance scared the GOP establishment.

In the 70’s their target was the outsider Ronald Reagan. O my, a movie actor who actually thought we owned the Panama Canal just because we built it and paid for it!

In the late 50’s they had former communist and Soviet spy, Wittaker Chambers, read Ayn Rand out of the conservative movement which she never was a part of.

Did they mention that Donald Trump raised money for Reagan in 1979? Perhaps it was just because Reagan would be good for business but, as Calvin Coolidge said: “The business of America is business.”

Most Trump supporters already know that Trump is not a conservative. News Flash: They don’t care.

Try this little thought experiment:

You are a member of the Continental Congress in 1777 and General Washington has just fallen in battle. The candidates to replace him are the current crop of GOP presidential candidates. Who would you choose to be Commander in Chief? Would you base it on their opinions of tariffs, taxes, eminent domain or sugar subsidies? The world is on fire, the country is on fire do you call the pragmatic fireman or the conservative theoretician?

Yes, he has. In numerous speeches, and in various ways. The EPA and the Dept of Ed are at the head of his list.

1. He is for reducing taxes - a very good thing - but his tax plan doesn’t reduce the number of pages in the federal tax code or serve to fundamentally restructure it one bit.

It restructures it a great deal. Which isn’t to say the I’m entirely in favor of his tax plan. ALL people should have to contribute, even if it’s 1% of their Welfare check.

1. Trump claims he can cut deals with Democrats in Congress. Hell, Repubs cutting deals with the likes of Pelosi and Reid; that’s part of the problem.

When was the last time you witnessed the Pubs cutting ANY deal with the Dems? Trump, otoh, I believe actually CAN cut a deal - one that favors what’s better for the U.S., not the statisticians, the Cronies, and everybody else who’s more concerned with their OWN power than what is best for our country.

1. Trump’s donations (pay for favors) to politicians and his favoring the KELO decision (eminent domain) is little more than “Crony Capitalism” in action.

Trump’s donations mean diddly to me. His views on eminent domain concern me, to say the least.

Is Trump a conservative? I think that is a fair question.

I don’t know a soul who has even tried to claim that Trump is a conservative, so it’s basically a pointless question.
If you need an answer, he’s not. But then, neither is he a progressive.
He’s altogether a-political.

Well said, old dog. In today’s political arena The National Review is regarded as sacred in regards to conservatism and their suggestion is that a candidate who does not toe the line with their purist approach might not be the best candidate. Our society has become so much more diverse in the last twenty-five years. I used to love watching William F. Buckley on TV back in the sixties. After all, it is only National Review’s opinion. We citizens are out here in the real world where they use live ammo and we desperately need a government who strongly supports fiscal responsibility, strict immigration enforcement, a very powerful and active military, not playing footsie with the Justice Department, and staying away from our religious freedoms. The purpose of my post was not to validate the NR article but rather to mention the significance of it.

The National Review are Establishment Hacks, they most certainly do not speak for me and they hate Trump.
The Establishment GOP hates Trump.
The Democrat Party hates Trump.
Every apologist for the GOP that I know hates Trump including those who supported Romney!

All of the usual suspects who hate Conservatives with every fiber of their collective beings also hate Trump, that alone is enough of a reason for me to vote for him.

Amen brother. And for those reasons, it will be a joy verging on ecstasy when he wins and is sworn in. I will barbecue for a week.

I’m not voting for a candidate who is so unprincipled that I have no way of knowing how he would govern. He is a flip-flopper who makes Romney look like a consistent man of principle.

He also sounds like an idiot. “Make Mexico Pay For The Wall.” This guy will be great for America’s international relations:rolleyes:!

People who win elections don’t Retweet an account called "@WhiteGenocideTM.

Donald Trump retweets ‘White Genocide’ Twitter user - CNNPolitics.com

From the National Review hit piece on Trump;

“Trump is a philosophically unmoored political opportunist who would trash the broad conservative ideological consensus within the GOP (Republican Party) in favor of a free-floating populism with strong-man overtones,”

That tells you everything you need to know about the credibility of the National Review, they consider the current GOP status quo to be a "broad conservative consensus" that needs to be preserved.

This should net Trump another 4 or 5 percent, bad for my guy Cruz but a relief to know that the Establishment GOP are just as stupid as they were 6 months ago; the more they condemn anyone the more credible their target appears.

Hilarious that these liars are still under the delusion that their opinions are respected, after 3 decades of targeting their own Conservative Base as public enemy number one they now apparently cannot accept that their message has finally been received.

It is a good time to be a GOP opponent, watching these Statists squirm in fear as their corrupt empire crumbles around them is almost worth enduring their attacks over the last 30 years

Well, some of these posts are very disheartening. I tell you now, as told people in 2012: If you don’t get behind the GOP nominee, whoever it is, and if you stay at home in 2016 because you don’t like the nominee, you are electing Hillary. Not voting Republican in 2016 is exactly the same as voting for Hillary.

A lot of the people who complain about Obama today GAVE us Obama because Romney “is not a real conservative. He’s a flip-flopper.” Whoever does the same in 2016 will be responsible for a President Hillary Clinton.

My Lord people, give The Donald a chance. We FINALLY have a non-politician who cannot be bought, who is not beholden to special interests, and look at how the “Republicans” destroy him. Republicans are their own worst enemy. If Hillary is elected I will blame every Republican who ripped on Trump.

Laura Ingraham, (and I guess everyone else), brought up the article in Nat’l Review. The only thing that surprised me was the list of contributors she mentioned because the article didn’t surprise me at all, as I’ve always viewed their articles as mainstream Republican-type stuff.
As a matter of fact, I’ve found myself many-a-time rolling my eyes when I glance up and realize the source is NRO. “Oh, no wonder I disagree w/most of it.”

{What would irritate me is when I’d confuse National Review with American Thinker. I’d say to self, “This doesn’t sound like them at all.” "Huh???"
Made me want to slap myself up side the head.}