Trump Things I Like

I don’t much care for President Trump for a number of reasons. I can list them and have done so, but I thought I’d list the things so far that I like in order of preference. Please don’t use this thread to criticize President Trump.

Here’s my Top 10 list:

1. Appointed Gorsuch.
  2. “Rocket Man”
  3. One-for-two regulations
  4. Coal
  5. Paris

Hmmm…well that’s it for now. Will add more as he does more cool things.

I’m curious about what specifically folks like that Trump has actually done.

I like the fact that he called out the NFL on the players taking the knee. I wish he’d called them out a lot more strongly on the fact that they (and the NCAA, and Disney, and others) have been threatening boycotts to get states to allow guys in girls’ restrooms.

I like that he’s closing our trade deficit. He’s ramped up exports of both coal and LNG. This is one of the leading reasons we’ve had 3% GDP growth in the last quarter. Secretary Ross and Munchin are doing more for the economy than anyone to ever hold these offices before.

He put Tillerson in charge of downsizing the State Department. I believe this is literally the first time since it was formed that it’s been reduced in size and power. The State Department is probably the one agency that can be said to be ever more corrupt, evil, and incompetent than Congress. My only criticism is that he’s not slashing it down as rapidly as I’d like.

He’s forged the strongest Middle Eastern alliance we’ve had in decades. He’s backing every pro-Western government and hanging all of the others out to dry. For the first time in my lifetime, I’m seeing public statements from leading authorities in Islamic countries that they’ve about had it with fundamentalist organizations like the Muslim Brotherhood. Trump is fostering what is probably the last hope for the Middle East to avoid full and permanent decent into Islamism.

He exited the Paris Climate agreement, which you might say “Well of course”, but Trump is about the only Republican who would have aside from Cruz. Letting Europe continue on with it - and pay for it, puts them at a major strategic disadvantage going forward. Energy costs are a major reason manufacturing left he U.S. in the first place.

Returning to manufacturing, Trump is going to oversee the most significant growth in manufacturing we’ve seen in decades. He’s been laser focused on driving down the cost of energy. He’s also been working on bilateral trade deals to drive down the cost of raw materials. There are basically three major cost factors in manufacturing. Those are energy costs, raw material costs, and labor costs. Everyone always focuses on labor costs and ignores the other two. The biggest reason we lost our domestic steel industry was never labor costs. The primary reason was energy cost and raw material costs.

Not an exhaustive list, but those are my major points. I’ve been very pleased with Trump so far. If he had an even moderately competent Congress, he’d be destined for Rushmore.

Which isn’t important. I mean, if you want to talk about an issue that doesn’t impact us…

Or hell, I could point out that net Importing nations actually have a higher standard of living than vice versa.

The alliance that is currently at war with itself? The one that can’t even beat the severely out supplied rebels in Yemen, one of the poorest countries on the planet?

Because of ISIS. The Islamists can no longer make claims in a vacuum, and having ISIS as an example to refer to give counter-Islamist voices leverage over those who sound like ISIS.

Fascism faltered in Europe for much the same reason.

ISIS has been destructive, but its legacy will serve as a disruption to the popularity of political Islamism. Something military force alone could never do.

We did not lose our domestic steel industry. Everything moved to mini-mills, which didn’t require the huge industrial footprint of larger facilities, that’s it.

Keystone/Dakota pipelines.

2 regulations must go for every new one.

Ending the War on Coal: http://thehill.com/opinion/energy-environment/353232-trump-and-the-end-of-obamas-bitter-war-on-coal

Jawboning NATO to live up to their financial committments.

Reforming military rules of engagement.

I will await the results on foreign policy. It is easy to armchair quarterback but we have to consider the utter quagmire left by the prior administration.

While Mr. Obama wasn’t any friend, Coals is dying because of Natural Gas. It’s never bouncing back. Natural Gas has found ways to be transported cheaply, and has more energy density.

Nuclear is equally stagnating because of LNG reactors, and Fukushima.

That doesn’t justify making more wrong moves that will lead to more quagmires. You’re speaking without availing yourself of the situation first. Platitudes mean nothing without doing so.

A good place to start? The Insurgents; understanding what COIN is, who General McMaster is in relation to it, and in what situations COIN was stated by the very person who formulated it, not to work.

Actually NOT, AS. Europe and Asia are INCREASING their use of nuclear energy. It’s “stagnating” ONLY in the US because of the idiots in the so-called “green movement.”

Another long term reason nuclear is stagnant is the limited supply and difficulty of dealing with plutonium. Thorium based reactors are gong to change a lot. And there should be some running within a few decades.

Dave, you haven’t looked into this:

France’s intention to close 17 out of 58 nuclear reactors stands out as unduly ambitious aim. This would imply deactivating 17GW, roughly the aggregate of its wind and solar capacities…

Germany’s approach to phasing out nuclear energy is not flawless, either. Angela Merkel’s government vowed to close all its nuclear reactors by 2022, overwhelmingly supported by the population and virtually all political parties across the national spectrum…

Spain, Belgium and Switzerland are phasing out their nuclear reactors, too, albeit with less ambitious deadlines, while Italy, Austria, Portugal and others have reiterated their intentions to stay nuclear-free…

Nuclear construction is far below the peak in the 1970s, and we have a worldwide glut in uranium supply.

Asia is, but it’s mostly China and India. They don’t represent a big enough of a market ( at least not yet), to replace the capacity being pulled offline in the U.S., Europe, and elsewhere.

Adding two-for-one to my list, but I’m not sure how well it’s working.

Gotta go with coal. Thanks for that.

And from CWolf’s list, Paris.

AS, is there anything the president has done that you’ve liked?