Trump to force GOP reckoning on Iran

I disagree with the assumption or the “widely expected” part of this. If Mattis and Tillerson are telling Trump it’s in the US’ best interest and if they are telling him that Iran is compliant - then I expect he’ll agree with keeping the deal.

I do think his hardline stance since coming into office has put pressure on Iran to comply and be easy to work with. Also agree that there are other ways to keep this and increase the desired effect it by other means.

Trump faces a Sunday deadline to tell Congress whether Iran remains in compliance with the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action and whether the agreement remains in the national interest of the United States.

Trump has certified the deal twice before. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Joseph Dunford and Secretary of Defense James Mattis have said Iran is complying. Mattis testified to Congress that staying in the deal is in the United States’ national interest.

But Trump is widely expected to announce this week that he disagrees and is decertifying the deal.