TV's Wyatt Earp, Hugh O'Brian, has died at 91

Another childhood hero has passed. :frowning:

LOS ANGELES (AP) – Hugh O’Brian, who shot to fame as Sheriff Wyatt Earp in what was hailed as television’s first adult Western, has died. He was 91.

A representative from HOBY, a philanthropic organization O’Brian founded, says he died at home Monday morning in Beverly Hills.

Until “The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp” debuted in September 1955, most TV Westerns - “The Lone Ranger,” '‘Hopalong Cassidy," the singing cowboys’ series - were aimed at adolescent boys.

“Wyatt Earp,” on the other hand, was based on a real-life Western hero, and some of its stories were authentic. (The real Earp, who lived from 1848 to 1929, is most famous for his participation in the 1881 “Shootout at the O.K. Corral” in Tombstone, Arizona.)

Critics quickly praised it, and it made O’Brian a star.

The Associated Press

Yes, another childhood hero is gone. But then those times are gone too. He was a hero back in the days where good & bad was easy to understand. The bad guys wore black hats in those days & we learned what good & bad was by watching them. Now days the kids don’t have it as easy because there are always “reasons” the bad guy is bad & the good guys aren’t good all the way through. I have to wonder if that’s what is missing in society today, clear examples of good & bad? Is it ok to rob someone if it’s for a good cause? Well if that’s ok then how about it being ok to rob them because you want something? It’s all a slippery slope if you don’t have those values set in your mind. Just something I think about.

“Wyatt Earp” was my favorite show on TV when I was in elementary school. I really missed it when it went off the air.

You are right about learning right and wrong, Old Tex. A kid does need a core of values because their immature minds can’t handle the more difficult issues. Later things do get more complicated, but if you don’t have that core, chances are you will not be able to deal effectively with the shades of gray.

Exactly. As kids we saw it on TV & in the movies. At home our parents generally reinforced the same things because they had also been exposed to it when they were young. Well we don’t learn it from tv & moves any more & parents now days both work & just don’t have time to explain basic guidelines to kids the way they used to. And that makes it harder for kids to grasp the concepts of right & wrong & good & evil. But what makes it worse is that both tv shows & movies actually display the opposite information. Sure he kills people & cuts them up BUT he didn’t get a red bicycle on his 10th birthday so there’s a reason for it. Total hogwash & yet that’s what we teach kids now days. I’ll be the first to say that I probably didn’t explain things to my kids the way that things were explained to me. But what I did was lay out standards for them & draw clear lines as to what was expected of them & if they crossed those lines they knew what was coming. And I’ll say that I started doing that from the age of 2 years old on so that by the time they were 7 or 8 they understood them enough to know that if they crossed the line they were in trouble. Because I started early I didn’t really have to correct their behavior from the 9 to 17 year ages.

RIP Wyatt!

I loved that show and I carried a Colt Buntline in 22 cal on hip for years out on the ranch, killed a jillion snakes with that thing, wish I had it back, told dad to sell it after I went in the Army…

I admired him, too. Back in the early 1960’s (I forget which year) I was overseas in the Army–Korea IIRC. My father was a printer for the Indianapolis Chamber of Commerce and routinely was given tickets to the Indy 500–both the race itself and qualifications. On occasion, he got pit passes, as well and we went to the races every year. That year, my parents went and had seats on the bleachers in the infield, right behind the pit row. On one side of them was Red Skelton and Hugh O’Brian sat on the other side. It got pretty hot and Mom was wearing what they used to call a “fly-swisher” hat which Hugh O’Brian borrowed and wore for awhile. They (my parents) said that both “celebrities” were very friendly and polite. Mom kept that old hat until it fell apart. Sorry he’s gone. Last time I saw him was in the movie “Twins” with Ahnold and DeVito. I was struck by how, in profile, alike he and Ahnold were.

Ok, a Red Skelton story which I got from IMDb.
When Harry Cohn died a huge amount of Hollywood people came to his funeral. (He wasn’t loved by most people) On seeing the crowd Red Skelton said “Well, it only proved what they always say - give the public something they want to see, and they’ll come out for it.” I’ve always thought that was funny as hell.

<div class=“lazyYT” data-youtube-id=“2HrY2Ynn4Jo” data-width=“480” data-height=“270” data-parameters=“feature=oembed&wmode=opaque”></div>

Aww heck! All the kids need is two dads or two moms. Nothing wrong there. :sick: