U.S. military spending millions to make cyborgs a reality

The U.S. military is spending millions on an advanced implant that would allow a human brain to communicate directly with computers.

If it succeeds, cyborgs will be a reality.

[LIST]
[/LIST]
The Pentagon’s research arm, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), hopes the implant will allow humans to directly interface with computers, which could benefit people with aural and visual disabilities, such as veterans injured in combat.

Snip:

DARPA sees the implant as providing a foundation for new therapies that could help people with deficits in sight or hearing by "feeding digital auditory or visual information into the brain."
A spokesman for DARPA told CNN that the program is not intended for military applications.

U.S. military closer to making cyborgs a reality - CNNPolitics.com

Barring the headline, the aspect that interests me is the fact that this technology will make inroads in helping people overcome physical disabilities.

I remember a science fiction story I once read about human pilots interfacing with their space ships to better control them. In the TV show Farscape the pilot interfaced with the ship.

Another item that was mentioned once was that a computer chip would allow communication between individuals.