U.S. Students Lagging in Math and Science

[FONT=arial]Fourth- and eighth-grade students in the United States continue to lag behind students in several East Asian countries and some European nations in math and science, although American fourth graders are closer to the top performers in reading, according to test results released on Tuesday.
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]Fretting about how American schools compare with those in other countries has become a regular pastime in education circles. Results from two new reports, the Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study and the Progress in International Reading Literacy Study, are likely to fuel further debate.

Although the average scores among American students were not significantly lower than the top performers, several nations far outstripped the United States in the proportion of students who scored at the highest levels on the math and science tests.

In the United States, only 7 percent of students reached the advanced level in eighth-grade math, while 48 percent of eighth graders in Singapore and 47 percent of eighth graders in South Korea reached the advanced level. As those with superior math and science skills increasingly thrive in a global economy, the lag among American students could be a cause for concern.
[/FONT]

[full article

I](http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/11/education/us-students-still-lag-globally-in-math-and-science-tests-show.html?adxnnl=1&partner=rss&emc=rss&adxnnlx=1355398657-zFymgknkVCD2+Kh8buI3uA)t’s not horrible. But we can do better

I suggest that that the mods move this to the education forum.

We still have students that do well and excel but, the average trends are not good. My son does well at all of his classes and he works hard to do it.

Wrt math, I can understand why this trend exists. The textbooks that I have seen from my son’s classes are horrible. The story problems are written by people that do not truly understand the logic of the Englis language. They are filled ambiguities that force ASSumptions to be made where multiple ASSumptions are possible. If it’s not the same ASSumption as given in the teachers edition of the text, it can be counted wrong.

Another aspect to this trend is that many of the math teachers at the elementary level struggled to pass lower level math courses themselves and have trouble teaching a good problem solving founbdation that they will need later. I did notice that when my son went into middle school, they teachers did become more knowledgable wrt subject matter.

My son’s math teachers are open to parents, like me, that will point out problems that they find in the text. THey will then spend extra time on that pronblem in class. When my son is struggling with a problem and actually needs my help, the crappy writing in the textbook is the source of that problem approx. 90% of the time. If the text books were better written, students would be less discouraged and teachers would not need to spend time on clearing up the mess that they make.

Anyone besides me remember 1957 when Sputnik went up, and all of a sudden, math & science were the only options that really mattered? Now they don’t matter at all.

[quote=“Susanna, post:3, topic:37479”]
Anyone besides me remember 1957 when Sputnik went up, and all of a sudden, math & science were the only options that really mattered? Now they don’t matter at all.
[/quote]I remember

Perhaps we need another Sputnik moment to get our educational leaders in line.

Having to depend upon other countries such as Russia to access the ISS should be ewnough for that.

And here we have, once again, these youngsters telling those of us who have been around for a while that the things we experienced never happened . . .

Nobody ever said anything about your experience of historical matters in this thread.

But yeah you have a point, I’m glad your generation used all that experience and put it to good use. Last time I checked it wasn’t my generation that caused climate change, an unsustainable society, and an economic meltdown to happen. Y’all have done a great job, now why don’t you just take the back seat and let my generation try to figure out how to keep the car from going over the cliff okay?

[quote=“BullsOnParade, post:8, topic:37479”]
Nobody ever said anything about your experience of historical matters in this thread.

But yeah you have a point, I’m glad your generation used all that experience and put it to good use. Last time I checked it wasn’t my generation that caused climate change, an unsustainable society, and an economic meltdown to happen. Y’all have done a great job, now why don’t you just take the back seat and let my generation try to figure out how to keep the car from going over the cliff okay?
[/quote]:dramaqueen::rolleyes::thatsfunny:

1. Neither did ours, or any other.
  2. No, but the leftist ilk did.
  3. By and large, it wasn’t older generations who voted for Obama (and other spend-spend-spend Democrats).
  4. Because the gas pedal in drive when you’re pointed at the cliff doesn’t work.

Nope, it was your generation that actually believes in man-made “climate change” - and we’re too far back to have had anything to do with the current - notice, that’s current - economic meltdown.

Democrats/liberals/commies are always quick to blame others.

Republicans/neo cons/ people on this forum are always quick to blame others.

My generations sure as hell didn’t cause the world’s problems. Like I said why don’t y’all just stop because you’re making things worse not better.

Just curious, how old are you?

[quote=“Lord_Brennus, post:14, topic:37479”]
Just curious, how old are you?
[/quote]Same question.

[quote=“BullsOnParade, post:8, topic:37479”]
climate change, an unsustainable society, and an economic meltdown to happen . . . let my generation try to figure out how
[/quote]And so far your generation’s solution has been to elect BHO? And you think HE has shown in his first administration he has the skills to lead us out of this mess?

(Arguments about what generations got us into these messes are a whole 'nother issue . . . but before we get to that, I’d like to see your answer to the above questions.)

Again, this is asking way too much of it.

[quote=“ObamaNOT, post:16, topic:37479”]
And so far your generation’s solution has been to elect BHO? And you think HE has shown in his first administration he has the skills to lead us out of this mess?

(Arguments about what generations got us into these messes are a whole 'nother issue . . . but before we get to that, I’d like to see your answer to the above questions.)
[/quote]Perhaps it is because others are paying the bills and he is not so it is easy to vote for something you do not think will affect you. He is in for a surprise when he has to pay.

And meanwhile, the self annointed, self appointed leader of the Global Warming Cult, Algore, is burning more fossil fuels than a small town.
The Messiah and his Empress in the White Palace are burning more fossil fuels on vacations than the City of Tallahassee does in a year.
…and they blame Conservatives for causing climate change???

I had to laugh the other day when I was perusing my Italian-English dictionary, and I came across the word “algore.” It means “intense cold.”