UN funding targeted

In a world that sees the UN as a joke and a purveyor of corruption and greed the world over with laughable mandates and a body that seems dedicated to the destruction of the U.S., republicans are targeting this monstrosity that wastes money.

A key House Republican is quickly pressing forward with her goals to scale back U.S. funding for the United Nations.

Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-Fla.), chairwoman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, told The Hill that oversight would be a key function of the panel, particularly funding to the U.N. Human Rights Council (HRC) that is “a waste of taxpayer dollars.”

http://ad.thehill.com/www/delivery/lg.php?bannerid=6103&campaignid=4421&zoneid=100&channel_ids=,&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fthehill.com%2Fnews-by-subject%2Fforeign-policy%2F139563-the-world-from-the-hill-un-funding-an-early-target-for-house-republicans&referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.drudgereport.com%2F&cb=7001689210

“I’d like to make sure that we once and for all kill all U.S. funding for that beast,” she said last month. “Because I don’t think that it advances U.S. interests, I don’t think that that’s a pro-democracy group, it’s a rogue’s gallery, pariah states, they belong there because they don’t want to be sanctioned.”

The World from The Hill: U.N. funding an early target for House Republicans - TheHill.com

Seems like everyday I hear a little more encouraging news.

This organization has been a virus on the world for far too long, let those ingrate nations that hate us finance this pile of dung for awhile.

I like this.

Finally, someone with the right idea. Doesn’t go far enough though. Cut all money to the UN, give them 90 days to vacate.

I don’t get why it has to serve the US interests though, surely human rights is important even where it has no impact on the US? I don’t think it does anything for Australia either but if we do pay money into it I doubt there’d be people saying we shouldn’t.

Or does the Red Cross sort out the Human Rights abuses well enough?

I looked it up, we are the 13th largest contributer apparently. That’s a pretty big cost per capita, and I’ve never heard any mention of it

… surely human rights is important even where it has no impact on the US? …

Or does the Red Cross sort out the Human Rights abuses well enough?

I think you’re giving the UN wa-a-a-ay too much credit for having good effect and intent. Here is the membership list for the UN Human Rights Council on their own website.
One of the VPs represents Cuba?! Bahrain, Bangladesh, Nigeria and Saudi Arabia are members?! Are they really interested in protecting human rights everywhere equally? Or are they there to shield their nations and friends from scrutiny while using the HRC to attack western nations? IMO, to ask is to answer.

What Pete said about the UN HRC. Too often, the only thing they’re about is Israel-bashing and not dealing with anything real.

And I wouldn’t trust the Red Cross as far as I could throw them, either. I don’t know what they may or may not do in regards to human rights, but I believe them to be corrupt, particularly with funding.

Look at who’s running the commision, Iran, the Saudi’s, etc. They blame the US for having terrible Human Rights abuses.

[quote=“ironhorsedriver, post:9, topic:28943”]
Look at who’s running the commission, Iran, the Saudi’s, etc. They blame the US for having terrible Human Rights abuses.
[/quote]I am reminded of an article I read about someone the police killed in Egypt.

Rantings of a Sandmonkey » On Khaled Said

It’s not that it’s not serving the US that is the problem - it is fighting the US - while getting the most of its support from us.

The bottom line is that it’s borders on comical to give the UN Human Rights Commision to the worst offenders of Human Rights. Iran, bet the women there feel the love. The Saudi’s, again, real big on human rights.
These are the people that came out condemning the US for Human Rights violations. It is a total mockery, burning through tons of US taxpayers cash!

It contantly bites the hands that feed it.

About time.

I remember reading a lot about the US blocking medical supplies to Iraq (voting against lifting the sanctions) on the ground that the supplies requested held miniute quantities of chemical used to create WMDs. But these were machines & chemicals to treat cancer which were greatly needed in southern iraq after the first gulf war & the depleted uranium all over the civillian areas. The French were quite vocal about this being wrong, I imagine that’s what the Freedom Fries thing was about?

Then there was all that suff associated with the US in South America, like United Fruit & the company that bought Bloivia’s water supply & charged heaps plus pressured the Government to legislate against the right to collect rainwater. It’s not the US people that were to blame but the companies themsleves & it’s all very confusing.

Then of course there’s the trend to USA-bashing by the rest of the world who were/are very jealous of the post ww2 boomtimes & enourmous commercial success the USA worked hard to build, but there is resentment where poorer countries have been taken advantage of. I’m going to be blasted for being a leftist aren’t I? :slight_smile: I’m sorry, I read a lot from various sources & don’t segregate ideas or reports into good/bad/right/left.

I feel like instead of just pulling funding or appearing hostile to the UN and its principles it may be a better idea (if the US can afford it of course) to continue but work to improve the UN’s actions & performance if it’s not running efficiently. I have heard it called a toothless tiger many a time. Australia isn’t a memeber of the Human Rights committee, I think we contribute to the debate but then we don’t really have a bill of rights ourselves. Our Commonwealth has a Human Rights act that comes from the UN (in the 1990’s, how backwards is that?!)

That is why I want all U.S. funding ended from the UN Jezz.

We bend over backwards to feed and clothe nations that hate us, we are first on the scene to every natural disaster and we even go to insane lengths in war to use weapons that quite literally hit nothing but the target.

Yet all these ridiculous lies about how we take these draconian actions that harm the innocent are what the world talks about even though all these accusations emanate from sources that are known liars with an ax to grind.

I say let them have a genuine taste of what it is like when America crosses our collective arms and lets the rest of the world show us how it is supposed to be done.

Yeah RET I also read that if the USA stopped consuming, we would all go down so the world has a lot to thank the USA consumers for.

Am I right in imagining it’s rare to find anit-USA sentiment in publications within the USA? I mean mainstream ones, not fringe communist ones. I say that because again, papers etc need to speak to their market & the USA is about the most patriotic place on the planet… I’m outside it so I hear, read and see all kinds of anti-usa stuff. Or just reports that don’t paint the US foreign policy in the best light.

Very true, our prosperity drives a significant portion of the world economy.

Oh no, except for FOX news and a few publications we are bombarded with “blame America first” propaganda in this country.

We have very few information sources that do not paint us in the worst possible light, that is why the few that tell the whole story are so successful.

Oh I see:eusa_think:

this is why I ask :slight_smile: