UN official calls for marijuana ballot rollback

UN official calls for marijuana ballot rollback - The Denver Post

Has no one told these fools they have no right to dictate American policy?

Oh no you won’t get your pot lolz!!! too bad.

It’s a question of what the role of government ought to be. Do you want a government so big that it can dictate to you what you can eat, drink, smoke, or otherwise put into your own body? Do you own your body or does the government own it? Does a bureaucrat in DC know what’s best for you or do you, your family, your church and your local community know what’s best? Does the federal government have the Constitutional right to ban marihuana or is it a state issue per the 10th amendment?

Obama certainly hasn’t.

1. The UN is already this.
  2. I own my own body but the gov’t regulates it (mostly) and that is it’s job.
  3. I don’t know if the 10th amendment applies here since this is the UN and not the actual federal government that is trying to ban marijuana. The UN is only urging federal officials in Colorado and Washington to block the legality of the drug because of the poor message it sends out. So, the UN and the government are doing it’s job as per the 10th amendment if it applies at all.

This is how politics works btw. If one group doesn’t like something the other group is doing. They are urged to challenge it and sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t. We’ll see if enough conservatives challenge the law in these states, but I highly doubt anything will come of this warning right now. Sure down the line if things get out of hand the UN may investigate and proceed with proper punishments.

Has nothing to do with it. If you don’t mind the UN and government dictating what you can and cannot do then that is your problem I on the other-hand want government to be as less intrusive as possible. JFtR I am not for the legalization of marijuana. Broad brushing is something not smiled upon.

Not a big concern since no one actually does what the UN tells them to do.

IMHO, you bring up a valid point. In regards to the 10th Amendment, the Supreme court in 1837 ruled that:
“They are these: That a State has the same undeniable and unlimited jurisdiction over all persons and things, within its territorial limits, as any foreign nation, where that jurisdiction is not surrendered or restrained by the Constitution of the United States.”
Justice Barbour, NY v Miln, 36 US 102, 1837
This was specifically in regards to the police power of the States.

FWIW, I support the legalization and taxation of Marijuana. People are going to indulge in vices that appeal to them regardless of its legality, and in view of the fact that pot doesn’t seem to be any more dangerous than nicotine ( and a lot less destructive than alcohol) the only thing that keeping it illegal protects is the ability for narco-trafficantes to make billions of dollars on it every year. I would rather take that money away from them, and use a portion of it (as taxes) to pay off other debts and promote programs that are necessary to the common good.
We had the same exact problem when we passed Prohibition, and it haunted us for generations after we repealed it.

Without any authority to do so. But then, that the U.S. Constitution strictly forbids our gov’t from agreeing to any ‘deals’ that undermine said Constitution never stopped a good number of them, so I guess you have a point.

I own my own body but the gov’t regulates it (mostly) and that is it’s job.

You did NOT just say that. Please, tell me, you didn’t.
(Okay, after scraping jaw off floor, and taking a deep breath…)
Please point out any phrase in any document that gives the govenment the authority to regulate what any adult may do with his own body.

I don’t know if the 10th amendment applies here since this is the UN and not the actual federal government that is trying to ban marijuana. The UN is only urging federal officials in Colorado and Washington to block the legality of the drug because of the poor message it sends out. So, the UN and the government are doing it’s job as per the 10th amendment if it applies at all.

No, they are not.
#1. “Federal officials in Colorado?” Last I looked, federal officials hung out in D.C., whose job it is to oversee the business of the nation, not the indivudual states.
#2. “The poor message?” WHAT “poor message?” The one of Liberty to do with our own bodies as we so choose?
#3. IT’S NOT THE UN’S JOB, NOR BUSINESS TO EVEN ATTEMPT TO INFLUENCE U.S. LAW!

This is how politics works btw. If one group doesn’t like something the other group is doing. They are urged to challenge it and sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t. We’ll see if enough conservatives challenge the law in these states, but I highly doubt anything will come of this warning right now. Sure down the line if things get out of hand the UN may investigate and proceed with proper punishments.

That statement is so insane, I don’t even know how to BEGIN to address it.