Unbelievable – Ted Cruz Campaign Sends Out Personal “Shaming Letters” To Iowa Voters…

The personalized letters target individual Iowa voters and identifies them as having failed to vote in prior elections. They are admonished and then encouraged to vote this year. In addition the letters identify the neighbors of the voter, and provides their voting history.
The text reads:
“You are receiving this election notice because of low expected voter turnout in your area. Your individual voting history as well as your neighbors’ are public record. Their scores are published below, and many of them will see your score as well. CAUCUS ON MONDAY TO IMPROVE YOUR SCORE and please encourage your neighbors to caucus as well. A follow-up notice may be issued following Monday’s caucuses”.

Unbelievable – Ted Cruz Campaign Sends Out Personal “Shaming Letters” To Iowa Voters… | The Last Refuge

From the OP article:

“We [Chris Larimer] found that when you make people aware of the norm of voting and that somebody else is going to observe whether or not you vote, people are more likely then to vote,” he said.

Sure enough! For the OPPONENT! …you morons.

And this is what I mean by Cruz’s “analytical” way of thinking. He’s most assuredly a mental GIANT. But then, mental giants have a tendency to thing in the binary, and not in the human reality of things.

Don’t blame ME if Cruz doesn’t get the nomination.

So…let me get this straight. Cruz sends out a letter encouraging people to vote (shaming?) and is criticized. Trump makes a statement that he could shoot people and his supporters would still back him and that seems to be perfectly acceptable. Got it. Seriously something very wrong when people support someone who speaks of murder vs. someone who encourages people to get out and vote. Unbelievable!

You know darn good and well that what Trump said was an off the cuff joke.
A letter campaign on the other hand is a systematic, well-planned - and costly - undertaking.
Your comparison is waaaaaaaay out of line

No Terry; what Trump said was an off the cuff jerkwater response. It shows his lack of tongue control and nasty way of thinking. I have not found the letter Cruz sent but the one shown does not show any wrong thinking.

we all know what he meant. so don’t any of y’all get all butthurt.

LOL. Well said. :usa:

No, there’s something seriously wrong with people who have something clearly explained to them 6 ways of Sunday, and STILL refuse to ‘get’ it.

Or, more likely, persist in putting out balderdash knowing it to be untrue.

What Cruz & Co. here are doing is voter intimidation, and ranks right up there near guys standing at poll booths with batons.

It doesn’t? Voter intimidation is okay with you?

Trump was complimenting the passion of his supporters. I read Trump as saying, “I can’t believe how popular I am with these people. It’s truly amazing. I could go out and shoot someone…”.

Cruz might not even know this is going on. A lot of the nuts-and-bolts of a campaign are left to the campaign staff. These letters are a bad move though. People rarely respond well to efforts to shame them.

I don’t know how I would react to that letter other than it is to a degree shaming. It is done in a somewhat subtle way. Now Nancy Pelosi and the Obamas have sent out some really insulting shaming letters to voters. You’d think democrat voters would be insulted…idk…can you insult a liberal?

For the years I have participated here and the elections we have been through together, the divisiveness I see today has become far worse than it ever was. That saddens me. We have had good frank discussions some with real rancor but the bloodletting today, that seems apparent, is really not healthy discussion.
In part I blame the divisiveness of Trump and the Republican Party in general. Trump has gone out of his way to insult, demean, and verbally destroy anyone who confronts him and the Republican RINOS do the same to any conservative voice and you all respond in kind.
Happy now?

I always use shame to motivate people, sarcasm as well.

We live in a world that justifies just about every act of sloth and irresponsibility, if reminding people that their voting record is a public record just before an extremely important election shames those who might otherwise blow it off then I am good with that.

And Trump is the candidate with the largest number of unlikely voters, if Cruz’s mailer proves to be a motivator then Trump would likely be the biggest beneficiary.

Much ado over nothing.

https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/hprofile-xaf1/v/t1.0-1/c0.2.50.50/p50x50/10984156_1608597049365128_3494772420686721209_n.jpg?oh=9029ce37bf626373e754960738825672&oe=57335130[COLOR=#9197A3]Iowa Secretary of State Paul Pate****
13 hrs ·

[/COLOR]Statement from Secretary of State Paul Pate Regarding Misleading Mailer from Cruz for President Campaign

DES MOINES – "Today I was shown a piece of literature from the Cruz for President campaign that misrepresents the role of my office, and worse, misrepresents Iowa election law. Accusing citizens of Iowa of a “voting violation” based on Iowa Caucus participation, or lack thereof, is false representation of an official act. There is no such thing as an election violation related to frequency of voting. Any insinuation or statement to the contrary is wrong and I believe it is not in keeping in the spirit of the Iowa Caucuses.

Additionally, the Iowa Secretary of State’s Office never “grades” voters. Nor does the Secretary of State maintain records related to Iowa Caucus participation. Caucuses are organized and directed by the state political parties, not the Secretary of State, nor local elections officials. Also, the Iowa Secretary of State does not “distribute” voter records. They are available for purchase for political purposes only, under Iowa Code.” - Paul D. Pate, Iowa Secretary of State

Also, the Iowa Secretary of State does not “distribute” voter records. They are available for purchase for political purposes only, under Iowa Code.

I wonder if they “distribute” them after they are “purchased” by campaigns for a “political purpose”?

It sounds like they are trying real hard not to say that this mailer was legal and made no false claims regardless of the wording that they did not like, and no doubt the candidate that they do not like also.

Much ado over nothing.

Really?

A junk mailer in an election year that attempts to shame a registered voter into making the effort to vote is “right up there” with standing outside of a polling place with a weapon intimidating voters into not voting if they look like someone who will not vote for your candidate?

These two actions are close on what scale?
How is a mailer “Intimidating”?

At most it would inspire guilt, should we do more to make people who take no responsibility as citizens feel good about that instead?

[QUOTE=RET423;754367]Really?

A junk mailer in an election year that attempts to shame a registered voter into making the effort to vote is “right up there” with standing outside of a polling place with a weapon intimidating voters into not voting if they look like someone who will not vote for your candidate?

These two actions are close on what scale?
How is a mailer “Intimidating”?

At most it would inspire guilt, should we do more to make people who take no responsibility as citizens feel good about that instead?[/QUOT

I certainly agree with you on this.

Trump’s mouth and actions are not becoming to the office of the president. What I find alarming is that people accept his actions and words based on what he says he is going to do … with absolutely nothing to back it up. He says what people want him to say. In the past several months he has flip-flopped on two key issues. First, he has stated that he has to be more establishment in order to get things done. Seriously? That was the original premise that drew people to him. The mayor of Laredo, TX has stated that he has gotten Trump to ‘temper’ his border wall plan! He has flip-flopped on two issues within a 6 month period … no wonder Harry Reid is now accepting of him!

in your opinion, but not in the opinion of millions of registered Republicans, including myself.

Trump’s favorability rating is the lowest of all the candidates EVER! I’m not saying that his support is not out there, what I’m saying is his favorability to win the general is questionable. I have been a registered Republican since I was eligible to vote and I have voted in every general election and primary in my state since then. I cannot and will not vote FOR Trump.

Trump’s Unfavorable Rating Higher Than Any Dem Or GOP Nominee Ever | RedState

Donald Trump Favorable Rating - Polls - HuffPost Pollster