Upside down flag protest upsets neighborhood on Veterans Day

– In a patriotic Florida neighborhood there’s one American flag that’s standing out on Veterans Day, but it’s also causing outrage amongst neighbors.

“I figure if they can burn the flag, if they can spit on it, if they can put it down as a doormat, why can’t I fly it upside down?” says Philip Hoezel, a Fleming Island resident.

Philip Hoezel says he served the Navy for seven and half years and is now using his first amendment right to express his dissatisfaction with last Tuesday’s election results.

Philip Hoezel’s upside down flag protest upsets neighborhood on Veterans Day | wtsp.com

I can see why he did it. This nation is sinking under those who would destroy it.

From reading the comments he will not be the only one flying the flag upside down. Take into consideration that now there are 20 states that have asked to secede from the U.S.

I thought about getting a Confederate Battle Flag and fly it in my front yard to upset my Obama loving neighbors, but I think I’ll fly the American Falg upside down instead. It’s a signal of ‘extreme distress’. I’ll fly it at ‘half mast’ in mourning of my Country’s demise.
I’d like to see it go National, millions of flags flying upside down at half mast.

[quote=“natstew, post:2, topic:37081”]
I thought about getting a Confederate Battle Flag and fly it in my front yard to upset my Obama loving neighbors, but I think I’ll fly the American Falg upside down instead. It’s a signal of ‘extreme distress’. I’ll fly it at ‘half mast’ in mourning of my Country’s demise.
I’d like to see it go National, millions of flags flying upside down at half mast.
[/quote]Did anyone see a half mast tribute to our fallen ambassador? I never did, but I don’t get out as much, these days.

[quote=“Tiny1, post:3, topic:37081”]
Did anyone see a half mast tribute to our fallen ambassador? I never did, but I don’t get out as much, these days.
[/quote]I do not believe I saw one but since the partier in chief likes americans killed-----

[quote=“samspade, post:4, topic:37081”]
I do not believe I saw one but since the partier in chief likes americans killed-----
[/quote]I don’t even know this country, anymore. Oh well, 2014…:whistle:

My bil has been flying his flag upsidedown for years. Started it during the Clinton regime, I think.

Last I looked, we were on land, not a ship.

You know what he means; in any case, it’s only semantics; whether you say “half-mast” or “half-staff.”

2cent,

Half mast, half staff, blah blah blah blah I spent four years, six months on a U.S. Navy Ship. It’s Half Mast to me.

Susanna, thanks for your support.

Oh please. If you care about flag protocol, you care. I can easily see how ‘half staff’ would be second nature for a guy who served on ship that many years.
But what I don’t understand is how touchy people get at the simple turn of a phrase, and take it so personally.
Egg shells are awfully difficult to walk upon.

Didn’t you start this exchange by being “touchy” about “half-mast”?

Forum Foul - You can not point to a persons hypocrisy in an argument to counter their failed argument.

Oh, for the love of PETE! It was simply an off-hand comment:

Last I looked, we were on land, not a ship.

People get their panties in a ruffle over something as simple as that?
Ya gotta be kidding me.

“Half staff”? no, that’s “HALF MAST”

And cut the Liberal, “OH PLEASE” crap.

You threw a jab and I countered, you’re in a hole, stop digging.

[quote=“natstew, post:15, topic:37081”]
“Half staff”? no, that’s “HALF MAST”

And cut the Liberal, “OH PLEASE” crap.

You threw a jab and I countered, you’re in a hole, stop digging.
[/quote]2cent is no liberal. She is one of the most conservative members here. I value her input.
that said:
The US Flag Code TITLE 4 > CHAPTER 1 > Sec. 7. “Position and manner of display” consistently uses the phrase** “half-staff” **throughout subsection (m) including “(m)(1) the term ‘‘half-staff’’ means the position of the flag when it is one-half the distance between the top and bottom of the staff;”

That, is why I value her input. She is most often, correct.

I am usually with you, but 2cent is being picky, and attacking other people for being picky. Her views are usually sensible, but she’s off track here.

“OH please” is a term I hear liberals using all the time. It a condescending term meaning “I’m intelligent and you’re an idiot”. It’s a totally liberal way of thinking.
I really don’t give a $hit what your opinion of 2cent is, I’ll form my own opinion by reading her posts.

2cent, Tiny, you’re both wrong.

Half-mast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Half Mast is the proper Naval term for it, on a shore base or on a ship.

Half Staff is for “lanlubbers”.

Thank you, Tiny. Coming from you, that is a compliment.
Hard to believe adults can get so bent out of shape over a simple statement: Ships have masts; land has staffs. Big whoop. You’d have thought I’d dragged somebody’s good name thru the mud, kicked it around, and cursed it to the nether-regions for all time when what I expected was for it to either go by unnoticed completely or possibly an, "Oh yeah."
How silly. But thanks for the back-up.
(Btw, have you checked your PM’s?)