USDA chief: Rural America becoming less relevant

USDA chief: Rural America becoming less relevant
By MARY CLARE JALONICK
Associated Press
12/8/12

“It’s time for us to have an adult conversation with folks in rural America,” Vilsack said in a speech at a forum sponsored by the Farm Journal. “It’s time for a different thought process here, in my view.”

He said rural America’s biggest assets - the food supply, recreational areas and energy, for example - can be overlooked by people elsewhere as the U.S. population shifts more to cities, their suburbs and exurbs.

“Why is it that we don’t have a farm bill?” said Vilsack. “It isn’t just the differences of policy. It’s the fact that rural America with a shrinking population is becoming less and less relevant to the politics of this country, and we had better recognize that and we better begin to reverse it.”

SecAg Vilsack’s speech - what AP quotes of it - borders on jackassical until the very last line of what was quoted. I’d go a step further than he did. His Party, the D Party, sees farmers as enemies - oppressor-parasites (land owners and employers) and polluter-destroyers of nature. I wish I could say Rs are angelic in this, but they are merely significantly less awful. If SecAg Vilsack’s own party continues to use government to oppress farmers, farmers might not be able to vote the pol-oppressors out, but they might “shrug” in an attempt to starve them out - financially and nutritionally! When government leaves farmers with nothing to lose government gives farmers the freedom to “shrug”. So Vilsack better start his reeducation campaign within his own party.

What, no farm bill? Nothing that controls the price of milk? No paying people not to farm land that they own (even if it’s untillable)?

Don’t you just love misleading headlines like that one?
Then again, Jalonick (author) isn’t entirely wrong. Vilsack does treat the farming community as next to irrelevant, as he’s proven time and again that he thinks the government knows better than the farmers, themselves. All one needs do is read the article to see that. Typical Liberal that he is, looks down his nose at farmers who have a problem with over-regulation from the EPA and ridiculous legislation from the Labor Dept.
['Doesn’t the farmer know that all we want to do is protect the land and our cheeelren?!’]
And the guy wonders why he gets no respect.

But it goes much further than that.
A recent Farm Bureau Magazine spent a good amount of time and space giving a blow-by-blow, point-by-point account of every issue it brought before the USDA regarding the Farm Bill. (I’m not going to assume all know how powerful the Farm Bureau Federation Lobby is, so I’ll tell you: It’s HUGE.) At the time of publication, they were not sure where or how it was going to go re: the Farm Bill.

–Need to throw in here that I don’t agree w/every stance the F.B. takes. They lean a little too liberal on enough issues to give me pause, and also double-check their ‘facts.’ Point being, they weren’t too out of line with what they went to the USDA with. Other point being, it’s now obvious that the USDA snubbed them. (Probably because FB right over-regulation from the EPA on a daily basis.)
Not smart. For the agricultural community, nor politically, on his part.

But here’s the clincher that REALLY shows Vilsack for the jackass he is, and how DISconnected he is with farmers, and rural-America:

Vilsack, who has made the revitalization of rural America a priority, encouraged farmers to embrace new kinds of markets, work to promote global exports and replace a “preservation mindset with a growth mindset.” He said they also need to embrace diversity because it is an issue important to young people who are leaving rural areas.

If that guy has ever stepped foot on a farm, my name is Rosa Parks.

BUT - there actually is only one point to make:
How can there BE a ‘Farm Bill’ when there’s NO BUDGET at all?