Vegetarian diets worse for climate than eating bacon

Shocker: Vegetarian diets worse for climate than eating bacon | Watts Up With That?

Vegetarian and ‘healthy’ diets are more harmful to the environment
Carnegie Mellon study finds eating lettuce is more than three times worse in greenhouse gas emissions than eating bacon
Contrary to recent headlines — and a talk by actor Arnold Schwarzenegger at the United Nations Paris Climate Change Conference — eating a vegetarian diet could contribute to climate change.
In fact, according to new research from Carnegie Mellon University, following the USDA recommendations to consume more fruits, vegetables, dairy and seafood is more harmful to the environment because those foods have relatively high resource uses and greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions per calorie. Published in Environment Systems and Decisions, the study measured the changes in energy use, blue water footprint and GHG emissions associated with U.S. food consumption patterns.
“Eating lettuce is over three times worse in greenhouse gas emissions than eating bacon,” said Paul Fischbeck, professor of social and decisions sciences and engineering and public policy. “Lots of common vegetables require more resources per calorie than you would think. Eggplant, celery and cucumbers look particularly bad when compared to pork or chicken.”

Now… disregarding whether global warming is real or not for a moment…

I find it highly amusing that leftest doom-sayers of “climate change” have kept telling us over and over to eat less meat, go veggie to save the world, and now a study comes out saying they are flipping worse than those of us that eat meat.

You’re pretty close to the leftist dogma, but it’s actually “YOU ARE KILLING THE ENVIRONMENT BY EXISTING!!!”

And while you’re at it, stop breathing … you’re emitting CO2 every time you exhale!

Every year I get a packet from the Arbor Day Society. They want me to fill out a questionaire and contribute. If I contribute ten dollars or more, I will get 10 ornamental trees and two “fragrant” lilacs. Salad for the deer, ya know.

Anyone, one of the questions was to select one of a list to represent what I thought was the most important reason for planting trees. One of the choices was “To absorb CO2 to help mitigate climate change” (or something to that effect).

It always goes into the circular file.

After we had the big CO2 craze we were told to plant trees because it would be good for the environment

Then came the assertion that planting trees was also bad for the environment.

Tree-planting projects may not be so green | Environment | The Guardian

I don’t have to worry about planting trees around here. I had hundreds - maybe even thousands of pine trees grow up in my yard. I know I mowed off hundreds, but there’s a bunch more where I couldn’t get with the mower. Probably just as well to let them grow up, but there are too many, they are too close together. Birch trees come up everywhere, too, but the deer keep them nibbled off. There are quite a few hemlocks, too, and the deer will nibble even at those. But they prefer deciduous plants and trees. Once in a while they’ll take a nip off a pine tree, but that’s rare. And spruce trees? They love to wreck them by rubbing their horns on them - either for stripping the velvet, or just to mark their territory.

One of the items on the subdivision restrictions when we bought this house in 1988 was that everyone had to plant a tree in their front yard. I planted TWO…a pin oak and a red oak with a double trunk. Both are 30’ tall now and almost 2’ in diameter! Problem is, they shade the yard so much Bermuda grass won’t grow and I have two BIG bare spots where lawn should be and every year the ground is literally COVERED in acorns, some of which inevitably sprout and every spring I’ve got multiple little oak trees coming up in the front yard! A recent ice storm broke off a few limbs from both trees and I’ll have to have them trimmed down in the early Spring…an expense I just don’t NEED at this time.

We had two enormous Norway Spruces behind our house cut down about ten years ago. Their roots were threatening the foundation of the house, to say nothing of what would have happened had they snapped off and hit the house. Although they were quite resilient in that way.