Veteran of WWI, WWII, Celebrates 110th Birthday

[LIST]
[*]Veteran of World War I, II Celebrates 110th Birthday
[/LIST][LEFT][COLOR=#000000]One Phoenix man’s birthday is particularly worthy of celebration—that’s because he’ll be turning 110 years old.
There was a lot of food, decorations and love from friends and family who gathered to wish Andy Rasch, a veteran of both World War I and World War II a very happy birthday on Wednesday, MyFoxPhoenix reports.
Serving our country may explain his advice for living a long life:
“Damn the torpedoes…full speed ahead,” laughs Rasch. "Damn the torpedoes full speed ahead."
When Rasch was born on October 5, 1901, Teddy Roosevelt was President, washing machines were a recent invention and people got around Phoenix on horseback.
Click here to read more on this from MyFoxPhoenix.

Read more: Veteran of World War I, II Celebrates 110th Birthday | Fox News[/COLOR][/LEFT]

Wow. He was a toddler when the Wrights first flew. I guess I can do this one for this thread:

The article linked in the OP is from 2011. If the guy was born in late 1901, then he joined the Army when he was 16 (or, barely possibly, 15 or 18). I suspect there’s a bit of a story there. Fudging one’s age to join up in time of war was not unique, but not exactly common, either.

What a different world the man was born into! Radio communication, electricity, cars and telephones were in their infancy. Not sure if movies and cylinder phonographs had been invented yet. Airplane travel, TV, computers were far in the future. Except for immigrants and people who served in their countries’ militaries, the vast majority of people in the world lived and died within a few miles of where they were born. Science and technology have advanced. I think it too kind to say that humans have remained the same: monsters like Lenin, Stalin, Hitler, Mao and other lesser monsters were yet in the future.

I believe my grandfather fudged on his age to get into the Union Army near the end of the Civil War.