Vietnam vet awarded Medal of Honor

Vietnam vet who rescued dozens of US soldiers awarded Medal of Honor

Published July 18, 2016 [FONT=&amp] FoxNews.com

[/FONT]
Facebook[FONT=&amp]0 Twitter0 livefyre73 Email Print

[/FONT]

http://a57.foxnews.com/images.foxnews.com/content/fox-news/us/2016/07/18/vietnam-vet-who-rescued-dozens-us-soldiers-to-receive-medal-honor/_jcr_content/par/featured-media/media-0.img.jpg/876/493/1468849073569.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

[FONT=&amp]Lt. Col. Charles Kettles, (Ret) 85, with a photograph showing him and his helicopter on May 15, 1967, the day he rescued his crew of three plus nine ground troops in Vietnam. (Brandy Baker/The Detroit News via AP)

Nearly five decades after helping rescue dozens of American soldiers pinned down by enemy fire, a Vietnam War veteran received the nation’s highest military honor for valor on Monday.
President Barack Obama awarded the Medal of Honor to retired Lt. Col. Charles Kettles of Ypsilanti, Michigan during a ceremony Monday at the White House.
Kettles led helicopter flights carrying reinforcements to U.S. soldiers and evacuated the wounded after they were ambushed in combat operations near Duc Pho in May 1967. Describing how one soldier hung on to a damaged helicopter’s skid, President Obama said you “couldn’t make this up. It’s like a bad Rambo movie.”

Kettles repeatedly returned to a landing zone under heavy fire. He is credited with helping to save 40 soldiers and four members of his unit. During the final evacuation effort, he was advised that eight soldiers had been unable to reach the helicopters, so he returned without benefit of artillery or tactical aircraft support.

The Army said his helicopter was hit by a mortar round that damaged the main rotor blade and shattered both front windshields. Small arms and machine gun fire also raked the helicopter.

“In spite of the severe damage to his helicopter, Kettles once more skillfully guided his heavily damaged aircraft to safety,” the Army said in describing his actions. "Without his courageous actions and superior flying skills, the last group of soldiers and his crew would never have made it off the battlefield."
The Veterans History Project launched a formal campaign to upgrade Kettles’ Distinguished Service Cross for his actions that day to the Medal of Honor. After the Pentagon agreed his actions merited an upgrade, Congress passed legislation waiving a time limitation for the award, and paving the way for Obama’s action.

“I didn’t do it by myself. There were some 74 pilots and crew members involved in this whole mission that day, so it’s not just me,” Kettles says in a video on the Army’s website. “The medal is not mine. It’s theirs.”

Vietnam vet who rescued dozens of US soldiers awarded Medal of Honor | Fox News

I cannot tell you how the sight of some choppers come in to extract us from a bad situation or the sight of gun ships coming in and firing up the bad actors warms the heart of a combat soldier laying there trying to keep from getting shot.

Some of those pilots are beyond the call of hero, they are truly Supermen…

[/FONT]

I don’t know. We’ve all seen stuff like this over the years. People doing beyond the call of duty things & then waiting 20 or more years for the CMH. There are some practical benefits to getting THE metal & by then they have lost out on so much. Having reviewed a lot of the actions of MOH winners & what it takes to be awarded it I just wonder “Why did it take so long”?

I knew who this guy was. He was a Company CO in one of the battalions that were part of my unit…a Combat Aviation Group. I remember the name because it struck me as odd…reminding me of Ma and Pa Kettle. This happened during my second tour and I recall the incident well. He most assuredly DID merit the Medal of Honor. I’m glad someone finally got off the pot long enough to get it to him.