Vince Lombardi and "self-esteem"

The left’s emphasis on “self-esteem” as a means to “feel good about yourself” has produced things such as grade-inflation, a decline in excellence and drive, and worship of the average and mundane . . . and also a focus on minimum wage, no matter what effort is given, even if there is NO effort.

This is in direct contrast to one of Vince Lombardi’s truisms (Lombardi was a graduate of Fordham University, in addition to being a famed NFL head coach and leader):

Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing.
Now at first glance this may sound harsh, particularly on a playing field of eight year olds engaged in pee-wee sports.

But before lefties and some moderates jump in here and accuse Lombardi and myself of being “heartless conservatives” and “sports Dads” intent on beating young children for losing, and by doing so extinguishing their “fun”, I don’t think that’s what Lombardi meant and it’s certainly NOT what I mean.

Perhaps several other Lombardi quotes will clarify:

To the winner, there is 100-percent elation, 100-percent fun, 100-percent laughter; and yet the only thing left to the loser is resolution and determination.

Second place is meaningless. You can’t always be first, but you have to believe that you should have been – that you were never beaten – that time just ran out on you.

Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will all be judged on one thing: the result.

Don’t succumb to excuses. Go back to the job of making the corrections and forming the habits that will make your goal possible.

And relative to getting something for nothing (like handing out A’s just for showing up . . . that “self-esteem” nonsense):

Success is like anything worthwhile. It has a price. You have to pay the price to win and you have to pay the price to get to the point where success is possible. Most important, you must pay the price to stay there.

While I wouldn’t deprive an eight year old of the fun of just playing, I WOULD put some emphasis on EFFORT (which was Lombardi’s focus, NOT necessarily winning), and increase that emphasis as they grow older, until by the time they reach high school, they are consumed with giving it 100% EFFORT.

It’s all about PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY, and being held accountable . . . something BHO abhors.

Thoughts?

Great man that Lombardi … a real fighter … leader … and motivator … excellent quotes up there too … sure to offend the Wimps among us … and some of the Femi’s too … and those of The Band Aid Society [quick get a Band Aid for every little scratch on your pinkie.] Some liberal progressives in some high schools doing all they can to make sure every male has several opportunities to proudly denounce his maleness, will not like Lombardi either.

Patton would have liked Lombardi and vise versa.

To the barricades!

:clubs: :diamonds: :diamonds: :clubs: :cool:

`

[quote=“Jack_Hectormann, post:2, topic:42451”]
Great man that Lombardi … a real fighter … leader … and motivator … excellent quotes up there too … sure to offend the Wimps among us … and some of the Femi’s too … and those of The Band Aid Society [quick get a Band Aid for every little scratch on your pinkie.] Some liberal progressives in some high schools doing all they can to make sure every male has several opportunities to proudly denounce his maleness, will not like Lombardi either.

Patton would have liked Lombardi and vise versa.

To the barricades!

:clubs: :diamonds: :diamonds: :clubs: :cool:

`
[/quote]Phewwww . . . I was afraid you were going to work in something about women penetrating the NFL. Every time you mention that . . . throws me into the vapors.

Vince would roll in his grave (probably does anyway since he’s buried in New Jersey) if he saw this FemiNazi/NFL stuff these days.

Errr…I think I’m missing something here. What “FemiNazi/NFL” stuff?? Don’t tell me there are womyn wanting to play on the NFL!!!

[quote=“ClassicalTeacher, post:4, topic:42451”]
Errr…I think I’m missing something here. What “FemiNazi/NFL” stuff?? Don’t tell me there are womyn wanting to play on the NFL!!!
[/quote]Geeezzzz . . . I shot myself in the foot here. Now this thread will turn to women in the NFL. Jack can 'splain it to you.

I’m busy dealing with my self-inflicted vapors.

Lie down on the fainting couch, BobJam. It’ll pass.

Packers are the only fan owned team in football and they have had the best coach of all time. I’m proud to be from Wisconsin!!!

**“I have been wounded but not yet slain. I shall lie here and bleed awhile. Then I shall rise and fight again. The title of champion may from time to time fall to others more than ourselves. But the heart, the spirit, and the soul of champions remains in Green Bay.” Vince Lombardi.

BobJam, … lol … I’ll make one post on it and then we’ll give it a rest.

/big grin … We’ll get this thread back on track … I’ll explain it as best I can in just the one post …

(Be sure to read the last paragraph … we’re dealing with “true believers” here.)

CT, its tokenism.
The FemiNazi’s want to destroy/eliminate 100% of the All-Male-Bastions in America.
They will succeed.
Why do I think that?
Because so far every single All-Male-Bastion
that the “males” in America have tried to keep
All-Male has fallen whipped to their knees
before the FemiNazis.

Let us list them:

** (1) Augusta National Golf Club . **
Have all-male clubs lost their cachet? A decade ago, the testosterone fortress of the Augusta National Golf Club in Georgia was a battlefront of the feminist movement. Now, as the club contemplates a historic first offer of membership to a woman—Virginia “Ginni” Rometty, chief executive officer of IBM, which is a sponsor of this week’s Masters Tournament—the most remarkable part of the story is that this time there’s a near-universal consensus.
The Decline of the Old Boys

** (2) Women in combat ** … I mean actual combat … NOT just women in support groups near combat zones, but I mean women in actual combat right along beside the
males in real sustained firefights. The “males” in charge of this have already announced firmly that what I just said will take place.

** (3) Women in extreme sports? YES **
https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AjuK9cZeJ898VkQtBOm.uyybvZx4?fr=yfp-t-901-s&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&p=women%20in%20extreme%20sports

** (4) Women policemen and women firemen ** (Yeah I call 'em men and I think of them as men). That women are policemen and firemen is old news … yawn … but at the time when they first destroyed both of these All-Male-Bastions it was Big News because another front had caved in to the demands of the FemiNazis.

** (5) America’s All-Male Military schools [The Citadel] and colleges [West Point] ** caved in like warm butter.

(6) The Navy’s SEALs and the Army’s Rangers ** have caved in like warm butter to the FemiNazis.

"Women could train as Army Rangers and Navy SEALs within a few years, military plans show:"
Under details of the plans obtained by The Associated Press, women could start training as Rangers by mid-2015 and as SEALs one year later. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel reviewed the plans and has ordered the services to move ahead."
Women could train as Army Rangers and Navy SEALs within a few years, military plans show - NY Daily News

**Yes, you read it right, the Navy’s SEALs and the Army’s Rangers … lol … are going to have females mixed in with the males.

** (7) NASCAR ** was once a proud All-Male-Bastion and it fell … and fell PROUDLY … to the females. Danica Patrick has a male/female fan club. There are “males” NASCAR fans that drool and coo at the thoughts of getting her autograph.

** (8) Women in the National Football League? ** Heh heh, do you really believe after reading 1 - 7 up there, that there are any John Wayne-type real men anywhere in America’s elite political class that has the cojones to say no to any demands made by the females? … lol … I don’t.

Female will compete at regional combine for first time - NFL.com

Heh heh, note that link is from what appears to be an official National Football League site [they have an NFL Logo]. The female was/is only a kicker … but that’s enough to “break the ice” and establish a precident.

Here is what the writer of that article at the National Football League site said in closing:

** “We wish [the female] Silberman all the best at her tryout and congratulate her on making some history.” **

:howler:

Here is the iron clad rule in 21st America: Whatever the females demand that the “males” surrender to them, the “males” will eventually cow down like whipped beaten sheep and say a meek “Yes Mam” … later these “males” will boast of their “new found freedom from the restraints of masculinity” and they will wear their meek surrender PROUDLY as a badge of “social progress” as they prepare themselves for their next surrender … lol … **

So here is the question: Do the FemiNazis want women to suit up in the NFL and at least PLAY ENOUGH so that it can no longer be said that "That the National Football League is All-Male? If the answer to that question is yes, then you can safely bet every last dime you have that the FemiNazis WILL GET WHAT THEY DEMAND.

Same is true for Major League Baseball and the male division of the National Hockey League. The women tell the 21st c. “males” what they want, and the 21st c. “males” sniveling and groveling and say “Yes Mam” … lol …

If the FemiNazis want to get women suited up in the Major League Baseball, I can absolutely guarantee that THEY WILL GET SUITED UP /Big Grin …

I can laugh at all this stuff because my hope is not in the 21st c. and in their secular institutions like the NFL. The 21st c. will not be able to stand up and defeat General Time and his absolutely fierce warlord General Death. The 21st c. and all their institutions that are silly-ridiculous will end up exactly like all the silly-ridiculous institutions of (say) the 12th c. and the 15th century.

I can assure you that the National Football League is going to have both FEMALES and HOMOSEXUALS suited up and playing at some point in time.

"The NFL appears more ready than ever for an openly gay player. It’s possible we’ll find out how ready this offseason."
NFL player reportedly considers saying he’s gay - NFL.com

** They Will NOT Stop Until All Gender Roles Are Totally Destroyed/Eliminated: **

Remember the women don’t have to actually pull their weight. This is not the point and this is not the important issue. The facts are irrelevant. The only thing that is important is that the Liberals finally once and for all destroy/eliminate all traditionalism and conservatism with regard to gender roles and they are willing to live with “acceptable losses” in order to get this done.

Its just exactly like any other conflict where the elites put other people in harm’s way in order to achieve their perception of the greater good. If there are some Navy SEALs killed because the women could not “pull their weight” then that’s a small price to pay to rid the earth of “gender roles” and the Elites are willing to let the military pay that price in order to achieve the Elite’s perception of the greater good, “social progress” is what they call it.

:spades:

Oh Jack…I’m gonna be sick all day now because of this…:sick:

Vince Lombardi was one of the greats of the greats! A true hero, mostly because he never sought to be. Yet, lead his team to greatness through ‘teaching’ perseverance, desire, and dedication.
I often thought of Tom Landry as one of his ‘disciples’; not seeking self-gratification or glorification, but committed to bringing out the best in others.
Humble, iow.

Vince Lombardi was the champ of 'em all, and it’s easy tell by those who would follow him to hell and back, simply to gain his respect.

Bottom line is, he didn’t care if any of his team FELT good; he wanted them to BE good, and, in-so-doing, brought out the best in all of them!

And I MUST add, considering the comments about the feminazi’s, that it chapped the behind of THIS female LOVER of football, and as a (almost) professional cheerleader, that the feminazi’s won the war on NOT covering the cheerleaders!
I wanted to see how they had perfected - or not - the SPORT.
But due to insecure dweebs, had to miss out on all that.

Ah don’t take this stuff serious … our home is not down here anyway … we are citizens of a much better
place and we are on a journey to that much better place and we’re nearing home as every day passes.

Besides that, these 21st century people have to learn their lessons the hard way … let them stew in the mess
they have created … the mess they have created may never even touch God’s people … remember
the land of Goshen where the people of God were located during the hail that destroyed the evil Egyptians …
the Bible says that “It did not hail in the land of Goshen” …

Another point: When the males of a nation turn their back on the God that created them and His word the
Holy Bible, it then becomes a good thing that they are led around by the nose by FEMALES …

Check out this Bible verse:

"They have brought disaster upon themselves.

Tell the righteous it will be well with them,
for they will enjoy the fruit of their deeds.

Woe to the wicked!
Disaster is upon them!
They will be paid back
for what their hands have done.

Youths oppress my people,
** [SIZE=4] women rule over them.
My people, your guides lead you astray;
they turn you from the path"**

Isaiah 3:9-12[/SIZE]

Note the bolded parts of the verses.

** Note that the result of them allowing themselves
to be turned from the path and lead astray is
to have “women rule over them” **

/grin … I personally love it and greatly enjoy it when such as Nancy Peeloosie and Babs
really get going on leading those male politicians around by the nose. I cheer them on.

I hope I live to see the day when the secular males of America are TOTALLY DOMINATED
by FEMALES. No group ever deserved it more. … lol …

This might be of interest to the thread.

Lombardi’s Faith:

" Religion:

The three constants throughout Lombardi’s life were sports, particularly football, family and religion.[105] His father was a daily communicant throughout his life[14] and his mother’s favorite picture of him as a child was on his Confirmation.[15]

When Lombardi was 12, on Easter Sunday while serving as an altar boy, “… amid the color and pageantry scarlet and white vestments, golden cross, scepters, the wafers and wine, body and blood … that the inspiration came to him that he should become a priest …”,[15] which when his mother, Matty, got wind of, she bragged about it to her neighbors.[23] Lombardi attended mass on a daily basis throughout his life.[106]

**During his tenure at St. Cecilia, Lombardi attended mass every day and “prayed for calm and control: of his temper and …” his wife’s drinking. When Lombardi became head coach of football in 1942, he would lead his team to Sunday mass before each home game.[107]
At St. Cecilia, Lombardi shared an office with Father Tim Moore wherein it was not unusual for Lombardi to interrupt a conversation and request to go to Confession and which Father Tim would oblige him right in the office.[108]

During his stay at Green Bay, Lombardi once emerged from his office and appeared before his secretary, Ruth McKloskey, wearing “… all these priest robes on, and he had a miter with a tassel, everything.”[109]

**Each day on his way to work for the Green Bay Packers, Lombardi would stop at St. Willebrord and “offer a prayer in case of unexpected death: ‘My God, if I am to die today, or suddenly at any time, I wish to receive this Communion as my viaticum …’”.[110] **

On the morning of the dedication of Lombardi Avenue, Lombardi remarked, to his 37 member entourage, he was pleased to have gotten them all up to attend morning mass.[111] Lombardi was also a 4th degree in the Knights of Columbus."

Vince Lombardi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Christendom has produced some of the strongest toughest fighters to ever live on he planet. Anybody who thinks Christianity is a pacifist non-fighting faith is simply ignorant of Christian history. Christians in past better ages were ready to “get it on” in a heart beat against evil perps and were known for their fighting ability.

A dear friend sent me this: It’s from the 2001 book “Manning” co-authored by Payton Manning and his Dad. It came as something of a surprise to me, though I couldn’t tell you why:

Any fan of Peyton Manning or the NFL generally knows that Manning is the consummate professional. He treats the fans, media personnel, teammates, and opponents with respect. He works as hard—and probably harder—at his craft than any other player in the league. And he produces one fun, family-friendly commercial after another, showing his sense of humor and a humble assessment of his own importance. But what many fans of Manning and the NFL may not be aware of is Manning’s Christian faith. In the excerpt below from Peyton’s book “Manning”, which he co-wrote with his father Archie Manning in 2001, the record-setting quarterback gives a rare description of his faith and its importance to him. The description is a rare one, not because Peyton’s faith is an insignificant part of his life, but because, as Peyton explains in the excerpt, he has intentionally chosen to speak more by his actions than by his words. Here is the excerpt:

"Like my dad, I make it a point when I speak to groups to talk about priorities, and when it’s schoolkids, I rank those priorities as: faith, family, and education, then football. For me generally it had always been the big four: faith, family, friends, and football. And I tell all of them that as important as football is to me, it can never be higher than fourth.

My faith has been number one since I was thirteen years old and heard from the pulpit on a Sunday morning in New Orleans a simple question: “If you died today, are you one hundred percent sure you’d go to heaven?” Cooper was there and Eli [Peyton’s two brothers] but it didn’t hit them at the time the way it did me. It was a big church, and I felt very small, but my heart was pounding. The minister invited those who would like that assurance through Jesus Christ to raise their hands, and I did. Then he invited us to come forward, to take a stand, and my heart really started pounding. And from where we sat, it looked like a mile to the front.

But I got up and did it. And I committed my life to Christ, and that faith has been most important to me ever since. Some players get more vocal about it—the Reggie Whites, for example—and some point to Heaven after scoring a touchdown and praise God after games. I have no problem with that. But I don’t do it, and don’t think it makes me any less a Christian. I just want my actions to speak louder, and I don’t want to be more of a target for criticism than I already am. Somebody sees you drinking a beer, which I do, and they think, “Hmmmm, Peyton says he’s this, that, or the other, and there he is drinking alcohol. What’s that all about?”

Christians drink beer. So do non-Christians. Christians also make mistakes, just as non-Christians do. My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven, and provides me the assurance I looked for half my life ago. I think God answered our prayers with Cooper, and that was a test of our faith. But I also think I’ve been blessed—having so little go wrong in my life, and being given so much. I pray every night, sometimes long prayers about a lot of things and a lot of people, but I don’t talk about it or brag about it because that’s between God and me, and I’m no better than anybody else in God’s sight.

But I consider myself fortunate to be able to go to Him for guidance, and I hope (and pray) I don’t do too many things that displease Him before I get to Heaven myself. I believe, too, that life is much better and freer when you’re committed to God in that way. I find being with others whose faith is the same has made me stronger. J.C. Watts and Steve Largent, for example. They’re both in Congress now. We had voluntary pregame chapel at Tennessee , and I attend chapel every Sunday with players on the team in Indianapolis . I have spoken to church youth groups, and at Christian high schools. And then simply as a Christian, and not as good a one as I’d like to be.

How do I justify football in the context of “love your enemy?” I say to kids, well, football is most definitely a “collision sport,” and I can’t deny it jars your teeth and at the extreme can break your bones. But I’ve never seen it as a “violent game,” there are rules to prevent that, and I know I don’t have to hate anybody on the other side to play as hard as I can within the rules. I think you’d have to get inside my head to appreciate it, but I do love football. And, yes, I’d play it for nothing if that was the only way, even now when I’m no longer a child. I find no contradiction in football and my faith.

Ah, but do I “pray for victory?” No, except as a generic thing. I pray to keep both teams injury free, and personally, that I use whatever talent I have to the best of my ability. But I don’t think God really cares about who wins football games, except as winning might influence the character of some person or group. Besides. If the Colts were playing the Cowboys and I prayed for the Colts and Troy Aikman prayed for the Cowboys, wouldn’t that make it a standoff?

I do feel this way about it. Dad says it can take twenty years to make a reputation, and five minutes to ruin it. I want my reputation to be able to make it through whatever five-minute crises I run into. And I’m a lot more comfortable knowing where my help is. (Manning, pp. 362-364)"

Awwww, Jack…you made me cry!

`
This fits in with some of the major
themes of the OP quite well:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51kajNru8iL.jpg

“Despite popular belief, American boys tag behind girls in reading and writing ability, and they are less likely to go to college. Our young men are greatly at risk, yet the best-known studies and experts insist that it’s girls who are in need of our attention. The highly publicized “girl crisis” has led to many changes in American schools, politics, and parenting…but at what cost? In this provocative book, Christina Hoff Sommers argues that our society has continued to overemphasize the troubles of girls while our boys suffer from the same self-esteem and academic problems. Boys need help, but not the sort of help they’ve been getting.”__from the amazon blurbs
The WAR AGAINST BOYS: How Misguided Feminism Is Harming Our Young Men: Christina Hoff Sommers: 9780684849577: Amazon.com: Books

From A Review of The War Against Boys:

"This review is from: The War Against Boys: How Misguided Feminism Is Harming Our Young Men (Hardcover)

Christina Hoff Sommers has finally articulated what I have felt over the years as I have watched my three sons (I am their father) go through school and now college. The problem with feminism is not that it has fostered achievement for women. Rather it is feminism’s attempts to demean the roles and achievements of men and “feminize” boys that are problematic. To the extent that feminism has encouraged girls and women to strive for excellence, it should be lauded. To the extent that it has used our institutions, particularly our schools, as a vehicle to establish a so-called “new feminist order” at the expense of our sons, it is shameful.

Hoff Sommers’ research demonstrates that our schools , disproportionatly influenced by biased (and all too frequently suspect) feminist theory, are clearly engaged in institutional male bashing. From chastizing boys for engaging in naturally aggressive play, to attacking male oriented sports such as football(unless, of course a girl wants to participate), to denouncing fraternities(while saying nothing about sororities), to frequently ignoring the achievements of boys while sometimes artifically inflating those of girls and young women, to minimizing the role and importance of the male role model (ie fathers) it appears that feminist-influenced educators seem bent not on leveling the playing field, but tilting it towards Venus; and if our sons fall off in the process, well, that’s unfortunate …" __A Customer

Product Reviews: The WAR AGAINST BOYS: How Misguided Feminism Is Harming Our Young Men: Amazon.com

There are few Lombardi’s teaching our young boys in the public schools and you can see the results of the absence of that anytime you want to, just turn on your TV set and put it on MTV or the Disney Channel … the boys act as much like the girls as the girls do …

Isn’t this just the sweetest thing:

:howler:

`

OMGosh…haven’t seen that mug for a long time! And the voice…ewwwww!

/smile … CT, it looks like Lombardi was one of us … we’ll see Vince on the other side, and soon too [relatively speaking].

♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

`
Dave @ 14

… Great post …

Of interest:

Top 12 Evangelical Christians in Sports Today - Beliefnet.com

[quote=“Jack_Hectormann, post:9, topic:42451”]
I can assure you that the National Football League is going to have both FEMALES and HOMOSEXUALS suited up and playing at some point in time
[/quote]~puts a finger in each ear, closes eyes tight, and loudly sings, "LA, LA, LA, LA . . .~

That would be the Sam Malone (“Cheers”) method of avoidance: “Ignore it and it will go away.”