Walmart is not evil.

That’s a new term for me, but it fits!

I didn’t think Walmart was evil. I defended them. But now on their website they promote the philosophy of sustainability. They are green, they push the environmental agenda. They side with the Obama administration and their goal. Walmart CEO’s are not anything like Sam Walton. Maybe Sam would flip if he saw what was happening to the company he founded. Walmart does a lot of good things. They are not inherently, absolutely and irretrievably evil…but they are on the side of evil.

Again, this is a problem with GOVERNMENT, not with Walmart. It is like blaming the welfare bum for not getting a job when he is just working an already broken system. He is at fault, but those who allowed him to not work are more to blame.

Big business is benefited by having a monopoly. The only realistic way to have a monopoly is through government regulations and taxes. In a free market, in industry with profits quickly gain competition.

Walmart is unscrupulous, yes, but that is how every business should be. Make money for your shareholders, no matter who you have to get in bed with to give you a monopoly.

Think about it, socialized medicine is the BEST thing to ever happen to a big business. They can pass every added tax onto the consumer but lose all of the expenses of having to pay their employees.

If I ran Walmart, my personal beliefs wouldn’t change, but there is no doubt who I’d support: Whoever made money.

Government is the PROBLEM. Not private enterprise. Any private enterprise with a perceived or actual monopoly only became that way thanks to the government, and your testimony of abusing eminent domain and lawyers to get their way is evidence.

It’s not in the regular dictionary–had to look it up in “urban dictionary” after i googled it

I absolutely agree with all that.

It takes two to tango, GT7. Case in point the threat letters they send to “persuade” people to sell instead of “forcing” Wal-Mart to sue.

It is like blaming the welfare bum for not getting a job when he is just working an already broken system. He is at fault, but those who allowed him to not work are more to blame.

Yeah, and nobody likes the bum, either. WalMart does not HAVE to use eminent domain, but they actively hire law firms and development firms to pursue eminent domain for them. They’re guilty, I don’t care how you argue that point.

Big business is benefited by having a monopoly. The only realistic way to have a monopoly is through government regulations and taxes. In a free market, in industry with profits quickly gain competition.

Walmart is unscrupulous, yes, but that is how every business should be.

I could not disagree with you more. I absolutely detest unfair business practices. Using unfair business practices is akin to cheating on a test. You can have fierce competition without cheating.

Make money for your shareholders, no matter who you have to get in bed with to give you a monopoly.

Monopolies are very rarely desirable.

Think about it, socialized medicine is the BEST thing to ever happen to a big business. They can pass every added tax onto the consumer but lose all of the expenses of having to pay their employees.

And you question whether I’m a conservative?

If I ran Walmart, my personal beliefs wouldn’t change, but there is no doubt who I’d support: Whoever made money.

Government is the PROBLEM. Not private enterprise. Any private enterprise with a perceived or actual monopoly only became that way thanks to the government, and your testimony of abusing eminent domain and lawyers to get their way is evidence.

I flat out disagree. It takes two to tango. For you to say otherwise is just not accurate.

this is easy to say since most business is leftist supporting and we are used to their betrayal of the common beliefs of the majority of americans.

That’s not business labors, it’s rule through unions. Business rule is corporatism.

IF Wal-Mart had used eminent domain to get their stores built here, you can BET that I would not shop there. Or, if they hired illegal aliens.
However, the smaller store was here at least since '83, and built on unimproved land. It put no one out of business, but rather the opposite, forming a strip mall that I doubt would be there if it weren’t for the shoppers Wal-Mart attracted.
When they built their Super Center on the edge of town, same thing. Built on unimproved land, and now there’s a strip mall across the street from it that I doubt would be there. The hardware and grocery stores in town, as far as I can tell, are still thriving.
I don’t purchase cheap trinkets at Wal-Mart; I purchase our FOOD there - ALL of which is grown, packaged, and distributed by U.S. companies. It’s a clean store with polite employees who, by all appearances, are U.S. citizens.
Do they sell items made in China? Of course. Doesn’t mean I have to purchase them.

My point? I’m beginning to think that the fault lies more with specific areas in this country than with Wal-Mart. There are plenty of illegal aliens roaming this area, but you won’t find any of them working at Wal-Mart. A business CAN’T use eminent domain nor strong-arm tactics to obtain land. It’s illegal as heck, and they’d be run out of town on a rail before the first block was laid.
So, if we refuse to put up with unscrupulous business practices, so can everyone else.

Btw, companies aren’t in business for the benefit of society. They’re in business to make a profit. But in the same token, if they’re of benefit to no one, obviously, no business.
I wonder how many people realize how much they do contribute to local communities; such as the local chapter of Make-A-Wish Foundation, and the Boy Scouts. They also proudly display signs that say, “MERRY CHRISTMAS”, a plus in my book. So is their refusal to go union.

I understand the distinction, but the way unions run now seems much like a business to me. Syndicracy doesn’t quite fit, anyway.

EDIT: Also, as I understand it, syndicracy refers more to different business or economic sectors rather than individual corporations. Would a union qualify as a syndicate? (gonna do a bit of research myself :wink: )

What we have here in America is such a hodge-podge, there really aren’t any words for it. I’m just searching for answers to what I perceive to be intractable problems.

Just got home from shopping at Wal-Mart. Looking at the shelves, I saw the same brand name products I see at most every other store. If the Tombstone pizzas, chicken breasts and spaghetti fix’ens came from China, so be it. I went there because after looking at the ads, they had the best sales this week on the products I was after. If Kroger or Meijer had the sales today, I would have gone there. I can see the roof of Krogers from my porch. Meijer is the next closest, so location had nothing to do with it. Strictly savings. Every business that get into even a little trouble financially goes to the local Government and says that they will pull out if tax breaks are not given. Most times the locals cave to save the jobs. You can’t just blame the business for eminent domain either. Most cases due to zoning laws and infrastructure there are limited locations for larger businesses to build. Once again, the locals aide in getting business what they want. I’ve seen it first hand my entire life. My father has been Mayor and County Commissioner for most of my life. Trust me when I say the locals are just as responsible for any strong arm tactics used.

Brain-damaged woman at center of Wal-Mart suit - CNN.com

I’m in the WalMart as evil crowd. Just different reasons.

HEAR, HEAR, Tperkins!
Every town has a zoning and planning commission. If people are not in favor of the way they’re running things, there are two venues to address these issues; complain, (which takes going to the meeting and voicing your concerns), or vote them out. And if they’re hired by the Mayor, vote HIM out.
Either way, it takes action. Simply griping might get it off your chest, but it won’t get you very far.
Sometimes I wonder if people realize they CAN do something about how business is run in their communities. You can, and you should.

“Easement” is not giving of the land. It is just used to put utilities through. Often it doesn’t even affect the owner significantly. My sister in Arkansas has a high-power line run through her property. She can use it for crops; she didn’t have to clear it, because it was already done by the power company.

Wal-Mart is evil because they did what they said they were going to do?
Please don’t misunderstand. I am not a heartless, money-grabbing capitalist who has no compassion or empathy for others, specifically the Shanks, in this particular situation.
BUT, at the same time, no company, by law, can avoid its legal obligations. If part of that legal obligation to their shareholders is to recoup medical expenditures paid out, they have no CHOICE but to recoup if they can.
Still, the smart, wise, and good thing to have done would have been to set up a way to collect donations for this family and maybe even offered to match them. Not sure if their by-laws prevent them from doing so.

Gotta say it. Not sure if it was out of CNN or the Shanks, but the idea that you deserve somebody else’s money simply because they have more than you irked me no end.
And the ignorance. Wal-Mart may have netted $80 Billion, (or whatever the number was), but it’s not like the CEO of Wal-Mart is sitting there w/$80 B in his pocket, glomming on to it all. It’s spread amongst all those who have any shares in Wal-Mart stock. That could be you, me, or any number of us.
I can hear the screams now if Wal-Mart spent ONE of its share-holders’ dollars outside of what is regulated by our government. Halliburton would be cream by comparison.

Exactly. And most City Utility companies own easement to your property where there are power & sewer lines dug beneath. Doesn’t mean they’re going to come in and take over your property, and if work needs done, most are gracious enough to ask. They’ll even replant bushes, if the work messes with your hedgerow.
(But may I ask the general where abouts in AR your sister lives? It’d be interesting to know.)

Up in the mountains not far from Marshall. Of course “far” is a relative time in this case, because she’s not near “anywhere.”

Is her husband, by any chance a drywall hanger? ALL drywall hangers- the decent ones, that is - are from Marshall. Not to wear out a smilie, but :wave:

No, I don’t think he’s had a regular full time job since they’ve lived there, but she is a retired teacher. He had a few money-making hobbies, and did some farming.

They built their house just as they could afford it (living in a trailer until it was done) and boy, is it some house! A wood-burning furnace (they have 120 acres of land, mostly wood), and a native-stone fireplace. 4 bedrooms, and another small room with outside access only - they built it originally so that whenever they had a missionary visit their church, they would have that room available to them. For some reason, the people in the church didn’t seem very willing to take in missionaries. They have basement under only a very small part of the house, because under the rest of it is an enormous rock! Most of the rooms are pretty good sized. Well, I don’t remember too well, I was there only once, in 1978. The house wasn’t completed yet, and, since they hadn’t moved in, and had very little furniture in it, it may have looked bigger than it really was.

She bought the land when she was attending school at Harding College (now University) in Searcy. It was up for sale for taxes, and she bought 80 acres for $120. The other 40 acres, they bought after they moved there.

Thanks. Sounds like my kind of gal. Though too far for us to get to know, it’s still pleasant to know we draw the right kind of crowd.

Of course they don’t use eminent domain to build every store, nor do they hire illegals to work in every store. But they have done both. Mileage may vary, of course. In my home town I know that two gun stores and a tackle shop were killed, and in a town about 45 miles down the road, another sporting good store was killed.

There are plenty of illegal aliens roaming this area, but you won’t find any of them working at Wal-Mart. A business CAN’T use eminent domain nor strong-arm tactics to obtain land. It’s illegal as heck, and they’d be run out of town on a rail before the first block was laid.

It’s not illegal, and yes, Wal-Mart HAS used it. Maybe not in your area, but in numerous areas they have used it.

So, if we refuse to put up with unscrupulous business practices, so can everyone else.

Btw, companies aren’t in business for the benefit of society. They’re in business to make a profit. But in the same token, if they’re of benefit to no one, obviously, no business.
I wonder how many people realize how much they do contribute to local communities; such as the local chapter of Make-A-Wish Foundation, and the Boy Scouts. They also proudly display signs that say, “MERRY CHRISTMAS”, a plus in my book. So is their refusal to go union.

You’re subsidizing their payroll and physical location. Hope you’re enjoying that. Wished other companies could do the same, but most of the time, they cannot. As long as one company has such an upper hand on other businesses through the exploitation of government, I will not support it. I don’t think that makes me a liberal.