Walter Williams...Are we Equal?

WW nails it with a truthful column full of facts about our inequality…and how equality under the law…is quite different than actual equality which is a chimera of the left.

“A more emotionally charged question is whether we have equal intelligence. Take Jews, for example. They are only 3 percent of the U.S. population. Half-baked theories of racial proportionality would predict that 3 percent of U.S. Nobel laureates are Jews, but that’s way off the mark. Jews constitute a whopping 39 percent of American Nobel Prize winners. At the international level, the disparity is worse. Jews are not even 1 percent of the world’s population, but they constitute 20 percent of the world’s Nobel Prize winners.
Soft-minded and sloppy-thinking academics, lawyers and judges harbor the silly notion that but for the fact of discrimination, we’d be proportionately distributed by race across incomes, education, occupations and other outcomes. There is absolutely no evidence anywhere, at any time, that proportionality is the norm anywhere on earth; however, much of our thinking, many of our laws and much of our public policy are based upon proportionality’s being the norm. Maybe this vision is held because people believe that equality in fact is necessary for equality before the law. But the only requirement for equality before the law is that one is a human being.”

Much more here: Are We Equal? | Right Wing News

I understand his point, but I don’t believe that race has much effect on people other than their appearance.

Did you actually read the article or just my clips? It is not just about race…
"Are women equal to men? Are Jews equal to gentiles? Are blacks equal to Italians, Irish, Polish and other white people? The answer is probably a big fat no, and the pretense or assumption that we are equal — or should be equal — is foolhardy and creates mischief. Let’s look at it. "
And of course…Walter Williams himself is black…and I am not his equal.

how do you account for minorities like blacks and latinos that have disproportionately poverty rates and disproportionately poor performance academically while minorities like asians have similar poverty and academic rates to white people

Wouldn’t that have more to do with history in the United States? A history of poor access to education and wealth and property leads to descendants who have poor access to education, wealth, and property.

its almost like the article predicted you were going to say that

Soft-minded and sloppy-thinking academics, lawyers and judges harbor the silly notion that but for the fact of discrimination, we’d be proportionately distributed by race across incomes, education, occupations and other outcomes. There is absolutely no evidence anywhere, at any time, that proportionality is the norm anywhere on earth; however, much of our thinking, many of our laws and much of our public policy are based upon proportionality’s being the norm.

Asians were discriminated against but they have been able to overcome it, why can they do that and not the blacks and latinos ?

I didn’t say discrimination, I said history. There is a history of a lack of access to education and high crime in the black community, and that begets more of the same. Garbage in, garbage out.

so your saying there is absolutely no history of asians having lack of access to education?

[quote=“UNTRugby, post:8, topic:38840”]
so your saying there is absolutely no history of asians having lack of access to education?
[/quote]I don’t believe that’s what I said at all. How many Asian families do you think have been here for several generations compared to black families? Most Asians do not have a family history of crime and poverty in the states. They immigrated here fairly recently, coming from a home country, and immigration also means that financially secure families make up the majority of Asian families in the U.S.

Many more latinos are recent immigrants than asians but they arent financially secure

That’s because they come from poor backgrounds.

the top 2 countries that immigrate to the US are Mexico and China

Mexico avg GDP $10,146

China avg GDP $5,417

But what about the average GDP of immigrants?

if you were asking what the average GDP is for an asian/Chinese immigrant vs a latino/Mexican immigrant that isnt a statistic that is kept and if you are suggesting that only rich Chinese immigrate and only poor Mexicans immigrate that is incredibly foolish.

Are you seriously comparing Mexico to China and Eastern Asia? One requires driving or walking across the souther U.S. border. The other requires a boat. It is much more difficult to immigrate from Eastern Asia, and that shows in the types of families that do end up coming here.

But all of that doesn’t change the fact that poor and crime-ridden backgrounds spawn poor and crime-ridden people. It has nothing to do with race. Rednecks and white trash also get into crime.

A boat trip is less then the cost of a cheap car and gas, so it doesnt show anything other than your ignorance

Have mercy. Is it easier and cheaper to travel to Mexico or East Asia from the United States? Families are more likely to own a car than a boat that can cross the freaking Pacific Ocean, not to mention get around patrols in California waters. That or an airplane. And it doesn’t help that we don’t share a border, so Asians are less likely to come here anyway. Why are you even arguing this point? You know that it is easier for Mexicans to come here than Asians.

Also I would like to point out that the black population has increased, yet the crime rate has dropped since the 1990s. Nothing you’re saying makes sense.

US-Mexican Border:

US-China Border:

We are talking about legal immigrants.

You have still yet to prove anything about the backgrounds of immigrants that come here, all you have is speculation and assumptions that amount to nothing.

you can not disprove this quote in the article, “There is absolutely no evidence anywhere, at any time, that proportionality is the norm anywhere on earth; however, much of our thinking, many of our laws and much of our public policy are based upon proportionality’s being the norm.”

Asians came the this country poor and disadvantaged and they got discriminated against yet they were able to reach the American dream and the best explanation you have for that is a boat.

Also I would like to point out that the black population has increased, yet the crime rate has dropped since the 1990s. Nothing you’re saying makes sense.

I didnt say ANYTHING about crime, no wonder youre confused

Why would proportionality be the norm? I said on this page that history plays a role. And why are we limited to legal immigrants? Do illegal immigrants not commit crimes?

You’re having a ridiculous argument. International crime rates are not constant for race and the crime rate does not change with race. A far better indication of crime is poverty and education. It always has been. You’re arguing just to argue. The comparison of Mexico and East Asia was bad enough, not to mention the comment about the cost of a boat! Are you kidding me? You’re being ridiculous.

I havent said a single word about crime