Want to Join the Military? Read This First

well im actually in the proccess of joining the army . SERIOUSLY. already getting everything ready. i have a kid so they wont let me join if i dont marry my girlfreind operation marriage is under way hheeee.

GOod luck in the Army and pick your MOS carefully.

thx if u got any good advice to give me i would appreciate it .

Allow me (an old fart) to thank you in advance for the comittment you are about to undertake. I wish you the best of luck with your upcoming marriage and military service. :flag:

Make sure you are in shape. Specifically running. If you can do the 2 mile in under 15 min. your’re ok. The rest is mainly pushups and situps.

Don’t take what the drill sergeants say to heart. No matter what you do most of the time it wont be any good for them, but that’s there job…scream a lot of hot air. By the end of Basic Training, you’ll have an immense respect for them and would gladly go to war with anyone of them.

People always say “don’t volunteer when for anything the drill sergeants ask” :

Wrong, they know that too, so, many times you wind up getting volunteered anyway and those who don’t volunteer wind up doing KP (kitchen patrol, cleaning plates) or some other crappy detail. So volunteer.

Keep the big picture in mind, don’t lose site of your plans, goals, etc…just because you’re having a bad day, week , or month. There will be many days when you question your decision of joining. You’ll want to kick yourself in the ass, but suck it up and drive on as they say in the Army.

Once you get to permanent party take advantage and seek out any and all schooling they offer you. It will help you get promoted faster if you decide to stay in , or it will look really good on your resume if you decide to get out after you have done your time.

And finally, don’t drink as much beer as I did while I was in, you never know when your going to get alerted at 3 am and have to show up at your company for X reason. It really sucks getting up at that time with a massive hang over. :biggrin:

[QUOTE=TheOperative]Keep the big picture in mind, don’t lose site of your plans, goals, etc…just because you’re having a bad day, week , or month. There will be many days when you question your decision of joining. You’ll want to kick yourself in the ass, but suck it up and drive on as they say in the Army. [/QUOTE]Many of those days will be in basic training. When I was in Boot Camp (the Navy equivilent), in the late afternoon of my first full day I was saying to myself, “what am I doing here?!” That evening, our Assistant Company Commander was addressing us and what all was going on, and he said that we “were wondering, ‘what am I doing here?!’” Complete with the appropriate tone of voice. Obviously, we all laughed.

[QUOTE=TheOperative]GOod luck in the Army and pick your MOS carefully.[/QUOTE] This cannot be overemphasized, pick your MOS carefully.

Do not sign the contract until you have examined every Military Occupational Skill (MOS) the Army has to offer.

Make your choice of one you believe you will be happiest with for the duration of the contract!

Make sure it is one you can excel at.

If you don’t have it in you to submit to authority and follow orders from those in charge without question, you do not belong in the military. The military is not a democracy, it is an autocracy. When you understand this, things will go very smoothly for you.

The military can be either the best or worst days of your life. You will accumulate either your best or worst memories while serving.

I have 26 years experience with the U.S. Army and, I treasure nearly every experience I had. I held several different MOS’es over the years. My 2nd favorite command was working in the Intelligence and Security Command (it was the Army Security Agency (ASA) when I did my training, which included German language training at Monterey, CA). To work in INSCOM you generally need a Top Secret Codeword clearance, they will do a very extensive background check, so you should have a squeeky clean past. My favorite command was with the Special Operations Command. In SOC I was working in Psychological Warfare. Had I not become disabled I would have stayed in SOC ‘til I turned 60. I had more fun than any human should have.

Good luck with your choices. I hope you have a long and enjoyable experience.

thx i appreciate everyones advice and opinions about my upcoming enlistment.

and for my MOS im gonna pick infantry divison 11B.

your probably wondering out of all the jobs why that ? well its simply this growing up as a teenager i would get into alot of trouble involved in gang activity exc. i was young and i made alot of mistakes but one thing they alyways told me is “kyle” you have a very big heart, which is why the job is perfect for me im not scared of guns im not scared to die and i alyways care about my fellow companions.

Rock on, man. Way to go !!!

[QUOTE=kylex3]thx i appreciate everyones advice and opinions about my upcoming enlistment.

your probably wondering out of all the jobs why that ? well its simply this growing up as a teenager i would get into alot of trouble involved in gang activity exc. i was young and i made alot of mistakes but one thing they alyways told me is “kyle” you have a very big heart, which is why the job is perfect for me im not scared of guns im not scared to die and i alyways care about my fellow companions.[/QUOTE]

Choose the MOS that best fits your desires. However, I must interject this. The decision that you are now making isn’t just for yourself. It’s for your bride and child as well. They must always enter into such life changing decisions by being balanced against your own individual wishes.

Go forth and do good. Go for it.

[QUOTE=kylex3]thx i appreciate everyones advice and opinions about my upcoming enlistment.

your probably wondering out of all the jobs why that ? well its simply this growing up as a teenager i would get into alot of trouble involved in gang activity exc. i was young and i made alot of mistakes but one thing they alyways told me is “kyle” you have a very big heart, which is why the job is perfect for me im not scared of guns im not scared to die and i alyways care about my fellow companions.[/QUOTE]
If you are honest in your statement, you may be Marine material.
:flag:

[QUOTE=Bucks]If you are honest in your statement, you may be Marine material.
:flag:[/QUOTE]
Nah, he is probably sober and in possession of a functioning brain at the same time.:howler:

Easy now, marine. I’m just kidding.:grin:

I spent years working very closely with soldiers, sailers, airmen, and marines.
All are, without doubt, the greatest Americans anyone will ever find.

I was stationed at Ft. Meade, Maryland, HQ for the NSA.
All four services had barracks on the post. It is the only Army post where the U.S. Marines have permanent billets.

Intel commands from all branches, stationed at Meade and elsewhere, work for NSA in close harmony. I worked Navy/Marine specific missions as well as Air Force and Army missions from time to time.

Semper Fi, Marine
The Corps is a great thing to be a part of. Next to the Army:grin:

[QUOTE=rhmorgan]Semper Fi, MarineThe Corps is a great thing to be a part of. Next to the Army:grin:
[/QUOTE]Both of which play second fiddle to the Navy, of course!

[QUOTE=Fantasy Chaser]Both of which play second fiddle to the Navy, of course!
[/center][/QUOTE]
Some of my best friends were anchor clankers.

I was born in the Navy hospital in Jacksonville, Florida. It was brand new then, but I think it was torn down and replaced some years back.

My old man was Navy for 21 years.
(You shoulda heard him when he found out I joined the Army):howler:

You know why the Navy carries marines aboard ships?
Sheep would be too obvious.:howler:

[QUOTE=rhmorgan]You know why the Navy carries marines aboard ships?
Sheep would be too obvious.:howler:
[/QUOTE]I never served aboard a ship! And the Marines left our base. We did still have Army guys around!

[QUOTE=Fantasy Chaser]I never served aboard a ship! And the Marines left our base. We did still have Army guys around!
[/center][/QUOTE]
The problem is, unlike marines, it’s hard to find a soldier who would co-operate with the anchor clanker’s perversions.

Sorry, but you stepped right into that one.:grin:

[QUOTE=rhmorgan]The problem is, unlike marines, it’s hard to find a soldier who would co-operate with the anchor clanker’s perversions.

Sorry, but you stepped right into that one.:grin:

[/QUOTE]Didn’t seem that difficult to me! Actually, most of the ragging I learned targeted Marines. And I forget most of it. There was also FTN (F— The Navy) humor. One guy had taken a bumber sticker with that early-'80’s Navy slogan “Navy. It’s not just a job, it’s an adventure.” and cut it up and rearranged it so that it said: “Navy. It’s not an adventure, it’s just a job.”

LOL RH your a funny guy !! I salute you for your service to the nation :flag:

Thank you very much. I do appreciate you for saying that.

Defending freedom is the greatest honor to one can have.

America is the greatest Nation the world has ever seen.
(Not bad for an experiment in a “new” form of government)

We all owe our freedom today to those who went before us.
All gave some… some gave all.

Sailors told me of the jokes they used to play on Marines that were on their ships while underway. The ships would have phones (in booths?) on them that would be connected by wire when they were in port. While underway, a sailor would get on one and pretend to be talking and wait for a Marine to come along. The Marines would line up to wait their turn to talk. The sailors would then end their pretend call and then watch the Marines wonder why the phones didn’t work when they tried to make a call.

I suppose that nowadays, cell and satellite phones have changed that.