Wayne superintendent's $1M retirement package creates storm

In 2007, the Wayne Township School Board and then-Superintendent Terry Thompson agreed to a renegotiated contract that provided a generous retirement package for whenever Thompson decided to step down.

But it wasn’t until this month that board members realized just how lucrative that deal was, to the tune of more than $1 million.

Wayne superintendent’s $1M retirement package creates storm | The Indianapolis Star | IndyStar.com

This is one reason I find it difficult to be concerned when I hear schools are broke. It seems that once schools get the money they spend it on everything but the education of the children or adults.

But it wasn’t until this month that board members realized just how lucrative that deal was, to the tune of more than $1 million.
This doesn’t make sense! They did the negotiating! How could they not understand the provisions of the deal and the potential implications thereof?! I smell politician CYA!

This is one reason I find it difficult to be concerned when I hear schools are broke. It seems that once schools get the money they spend it on everything but the education of the children or adults.
:yeahthat: !

Schools find the $$ to persecute homeschooling families (those districts that do so), to defend their egregious assaults on parental authority and religion and to maintain full-salary-and-bennies “rubber rooms” for staff accused of sexual abuse of students (whom the schools can’t/won’t fire). So, much of the poor-mouthing seems to amount to, “We can’t afford to do everything we want and educate your children, too!” With the latter task getting hit first, last and always.

This is what happens when you have politicians on the school board instead of parents and people with business experience. Let’s see, a levy in a special election around August would be my guess. It’s to late to make May’s and this crisis will have to be fixed before November.