'We do love Canada': Americans aim to repay Sarnia for $8K rescue of floating partier

‘We do love Canada’: Americans aim to repay Sarnia for $8K rescue of floating partiers - Windsor - CBC News

So, 1500 drunk youth needed to be helped back home and the mayor of Sarnia, Ontario bitches about the costs ($8000). However, when the OPP and RCMP drop the ball on a terrorist hellbent on blowing up Canadians and the FBI have to alert us, that’s a cost America has to eat. Or the last 20 years of not meeting our NATO obligations and America protecting us from Russia and every other threat, that’s just a cost America should eat between “friends”, eh?

Seems many Canadians I speak to like to talk a great game about how nice and friendly we are, they will complain about one day of inconvenience and kick up a storm, but for decades of free assistance from America they shrug their shoulders as if we are ordained this protecting via our heritage to the Queen. I give my lecture to some of these people but it flies right over their head like a Mig jet that we would have had to stare down in the 80’s without proper military equipment…

While I see what your saying, I’ll put it in perspective for you. A few years back our president repaid his friend by writing a check for 544 million dollars of tax payer money. So add another zero on the end of that $8,000 & keep the kids drunk until they come back across the border & we will call it even. (wink)
BTW I was once on a plane with about 50 Canadians for about 8 hours. They partied the plane dry & then broke out the bottles in their carryon’s. What a fun group!

I’ve got you well beat. Was at a real Country and Western bar in Texas, to use the washroom there was a trough. Was my birthday, as I did the square dance (for my first time ever) with some female instructor, every person in the bar would tip their hats and say “Happy Birthday” as we danced near their table, I would say “thank you” to every person not wanting to make Canada look bad. I was given a tour by the bar owner upstairs with all the photos of old rock bands and famous people who visited there, was given man free drinks and had a pretty enjoyable night with my co-workers. Most of them were probably just shocked to meet a Canadian. As it were I was given the choice to go to Texas or Vegas for my sales reward, I hadn’t been to either but it was no contest. Texas was the most enjoyable time I have had, and it had nothing to do with anything but the people there as I was there on business outside of that trip to the bar. Unbelievably polite and friendly.

Bottom line, Canada doesn’t pay it’s fair share and we stab allies in the back with such a gusto that it is becoming a National Security issue. Our PM is headed to China to discuss a potential free trade agreement (what?)! That same China who is mounting islands and expanding their global reach, threatening Japan and America. Our Premier in Ontario is in Korea and Japan hands open begging for investment to help us pay down our $300BILLION+ PROVINCIAL debt. The most indebted sub borrowing jurisdiction in the world I might add. Why she thinks Japan or Korea would want to give her even a nickel is beyond me.

The old saying about the grass not always being greener on the other side is applicable to many, very few from Ontario would find this to be true.

[quote=“shockedcanadian, post:1, topic:49378”]
‘We do love Canada’: Americans aim to repay Sarnia for $8K rescue of floating partiers - Windsor - CBC News

So, 1500 drunk youth needed to be helped back home and the mayor of Sarnia, Ontario bitches about the costs ($8000). However, when the OPP and RCMP drop the ball on a terrorist hellbent on blowing up Canadians and the FBI have to alert us, that’s a cost America has to eat. Or the last 20 years of not meeting our NATO obligations and America protecting us from Russia and every other threat, that’s just a cost America should eat between “friends”, eh?

Seems many Canadians I speak to like to talk a great game about how nice and friendly we are, they will complain about one day of inconvenience and kick up a storm, but for decades of free assistance from America they shrug their shoulders as if we are ordained this protecting via our heritage to the Queen. I give my lecture to some of these people but it flies right over their head like a Mig jet that we would have had to stare down in the 80’s without proper military equipment…
[/quote]I don’t think Sarnia has the same resources as the U.S.'s FBI.

Does Canada have enough resources to pay their share of NATO obligations?

There are quite a few who don’t like me in Canada, and I wear this with pride; a badge of honour. When a nation ceases to be trustworthy or honest, and openly treats our closest and most important allies with disdain, it really rubs me the wrong way. Some of us have paid a steep price for standing up the the immoral…

[quote=“shockedcanadian, post:5, topic:49378”]
Does Canada have enough resources to pay their share of NATO obligations?

There are quite a few who don’t like me in Canada, and I wear this with pride; a badge of honour. When a nation ceases to be trustworthy or honest, and openly treats our closest and most important allies with disdain, it really rubs me the wrong way. Some of us have paid a steep price for standing up the the immoral…
[/quote]Obviously I agree with you. But Canada’s geography means that in or out of NATO they’re effectively protected by being in the U.S.'s shadow.

Yes, hence my OP.

Knowing all that America has done for Canada, and knowing how arrogant Canada has been in it’s treatment of America; why would a snotty nosed mayor complain about such costs for a one time inconvenience? $8k is a drop the bucket, I bet you the local police, and definitely the OPP would spend that amount of money in a matter of hours on some ill advised investigation somewhere in the city of Sarnia.

Americans shouldn’t be paying him back a red nickel. Maybe if Canada learned such vital expressions as “accountability of government” America would know they have a true and like minded ally.