We need more lawyers, seriously


#1

What do you call 500 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean? — A good start.
Why did New Jersey get all the toxic waste and California all the lawyers? — New Jersey got to pick first.
What’s the difference between a lawyer and a tick? — Both are bloodsucking parasites, but one stops when you’re dead.
You’ve probably heard a million lawyer jokes. And of course, there’s the famous line from Shakespeare, “The first thing we do, let’s kill all the lawyers.” (Though that line was uttered by Dick the Butcher in Henry VI, and Dick the Butcher was trying to set off a civil war and revolution, and wasn’t a good guy.)

We need more lawyers, seriously: Glenn Reynolds

I have had very little interaction with lawyers and that left a sour taste in my mouth. Lawyers would like you to believe you need them for everything in which they charge over inflated prices to do little. Oh I am not saying there are cases where a lawyer is needed but most of the time it is a money grab.

Thoughts?


#2

I’m not a fan of lawyers. Yes every now & then we hear about a lawyer helping the little guy or in some way doing something great. Those stories make the news because they are so rare. I believe that lawyers are the main reason that our health care costs are so high. What was that old saying. Something like 99% of lawyers give the other 1% a bad name? Honestly I think that 99% number is a little low.


#3

You reminded me of a story about a lawyer who sued other lawyers. I am sure we have all heard the stories of lawyers who take your money and do little to nothing to earn it. Well this lawyer went after lawyers who took divorce cases and as he put it threw the paperwork in a drawer or had a paralegal do the actual work while dragging out the case to make more money.


#4
  1. lets make it clear what a lawyer does for a living: He is a Paid Professional Liar.

Now that we got that out of the way. My sister waws goring thru a nasty divorce, she hired one of the top divorce lawyers in Dallas. By the time she has spent about $4000 bucks on him and he had failed to do ANYTHING, nothing, she had to go to another lawyer and and she lost ever dime she had paid him.


#5

I believe it.


#6

My wifes lawyer, hired after Basic Energy nearly killed her in a car wreck, and they lied for three years, turned nothing into 50000 dollars.


#7

Well this lawyer went after lawyers who took divorce cases and as he put it threw the paperwork in a drawer or had a paralegal do the actual work while dragging out the case to make more money.
.
My youngest son is going through that now (the dragging the case out to make more money). Here’s a suggestion for EVERYONE. Never marry someone that has a lawyer in the family. My soon to be ex daughter in law has a father that is a judge & is paying all the legal bills even though his daughter makes about $140,000 per year & is an adult. In watching what’s happening from a distance I can say a couple of things for sure. 1. The whole equal rights movement does NOT apply to divorces. 2. The courts will allow one side to go to court over & over with the soul purpose of running them out of money. The good new is that my son has a pretty good lawyer & his wife has a VERY good lawyer. Translation…For every $2,000 he spends his father in law spends $10,000. This is looking to be a 80 or 90 thousand dollar divorce (for them) & the final outcome will be very close to what a $2,000 no fault divorce would have been. It would be funny as hell if I wasn’t “lending” him the money.


#8

They play a part, but the real cause is regulation and policies that artificialy increase demand, i.e. rather widespread “free” healthcare, without a commensurate increase in supply, policies that bypass the market forces that I have little doubt would decrease prices substantially.

Of course, the most common career among policymakers is law, and lawyers are such good economists.

Yes, yes it is.


#9

Sounds like my divorce lawyer. She didn’t do anything except “update the files” and charge me a bunch more, until I hinted that I was about ready to file a complaint. I hadn’t known you could do that before.