In answering a post this morning I thought of an interesting historical parallel between Wendell Willkie and Donald Trump. They are both highly unusual as presidential candidates.
· Both Trump and Willkie never held public office.
· They had both been Democrats who were recentconverts to the GOP
· They were both distrusted by the GOP establishment
· They both held some liberal views.
· In his acceptance speech, Willkie once referredto his audience as “you Republicans.” It will be interesting to seeif Trump ever commits that gaff.
The Edmond Sullivan, who wrote the standard reference bookon 19th century presidential campaign medalets and badges, was a very liberal Democrat. He once told me that Willkie was the best candidate the GOP ever nominated.
Willkie ran with Charles McNary who was an establishmentRepublican senator from Oregon. Here is a jugate (a piece that shows picturesof the presidential and vice presidential nominees side by side on the samebutton) from the 1940 campaign.