What accord has Christ with Belial?

**2 Corinthians 6:14-16 **
14 Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness? 15 What accord has Christ with Belial? Or what portion does a believer share with an unbeliever? 16 What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God said, “I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people…”

An illustration taken from Old Testament prohibition to Israel regarding the work-related joining together of two different kinds of livestock (Deuteronomy 22:10). By this analogy, Paul taught that it is not right to join together in common spiritual enterprise with those who are not of the same nature (unbelievers and heretics). It is impossible under such an arrangement for things to be done to God’s glory. Christians are not to be bound together with non-Christians in any spiritual enterprise or relationship that would be detrimental to the Christian’s testimony within the body of Christ (1 Corinthians 5:9-13; 1 Corinthians 6:15-18, 10:7-21; James 4:4; 1 John 2:15). This was especially important for the Corinthians because of the threats from the false teachers and the surrounding pagan idolatry. But this command does not mean believers should end all associations with unbelievers, because that would defy the purpose for which God saved believers and left them on earth (Matthew 28:19-20; 1 Corinthians 9:19-23). However, it does mean believers are not to engage in spiritual enterprise with unbelievers, heretics, false teachers, especially in worship. The implausibility of such religious alliances is made clear in 2 Corinthians 6:14-17.