What Romans 13 Should Mean For The Church In America

This is the “Readers Digest” version of my commentary on Romans 13, I have intended to write a much more exhaustive piece on this topic but this came up in a discussion thread and I thought it might interest others in its current form for now.

[quote]
Romans 13:1-5

1. Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.

2. Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.

3. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended.

4. For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

5. Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.[/quote]
    Now applied to the United States.

[quote]

1. Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.[/quote]

So we can say with complete confidence (if we believe scripture) that a government “of the people, by the people and for the people” was Gods idea and will.

We can also say with complete confidence (if we believe scripture) that our specific Constitutionally Limited, Representative Republic was precisely what God desired as the governmental structure for those in our Nation.

So for the United States citizen, “submission” would mean accepting the responsibility of citizen government by being well informed and participating in elections as an advocate for the right application of Constitutional Principles, God assigned this authority to each citizen deliberately and purposefully so any benign attitude toward the civic responsibility of voting or the integrity of the Constitution equals shirking of this God ordained responsibility.

[quote]
2) Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.[/quote]
Since the citizens of the United States are the “authority” and the Constitution is what “God has instituted”, we as Christians (and everyone else even though they won’t know why) should fully expect to receive the “judgment” and consequences that will arise as a result of ignoring these responsibilities or taking them seriously.

In simpler terms, The Christian Church (as the overwhelming majority collectively) is entirely to blame or commend for the level of integrity that our government displays and the overall level of respect that our institutions have for Constitutional Principles.

[quote]
3) For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended.[/quote]
So as citizen “rulers” nobody should ever be afraid of our “authority” if they are “doing right”.

So…If we choose to use our [B][I]citizen authority[/I][/B] as Christian citizens to ignore the Constitution as our [B][I]God established structure[/I][/B] and ignore our [B][I]God ordained responsibilities[/I][/B] of “Ruling/Voting” by either abstaining or participating as bastard children by calling evil “good” and good “evil” in our expressed words and votes…We are in rebellion to God and invite the sword of his judgment for using our own God ordained authority as a hammer of judgment to punish the innocent and reward the guilty.

No Righteous man will fear this, He will have been diligent in his responsibilities to stay informed and will have placed his personal agenda aside in favor of respecting the Constitution. He will have been diligent within his sphere of influence to remind his fellow Christians that they are “Caesar” as citizens of the United States so the buck stops at their own front door.

If such a Mans brothers in Christ decide to trade these God given responsibilities for “30 pieces of silver” by muting their voice in matters of citizen government in exchange for a “non profit tax exemption” then they should expect the same fate as their prophet Judas.

[quote]
4) For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.[/quote]
So if we accept the responsibility of citizen government no citizen who does “good” will fear our sword, if we spit upon these responsibilities by saying “this sword that God has handed me was given in vain, I shall hand it over to the evil ones” then this bastardized version of our government will still “not bear the sword in vain”, but its wrath will fall upon a greater group of “wrongdoers”.

The Church which spit upon its God who awarded it the most desirable governmental structure that any Christian has ever been privileged to be born under. [B][I]“The Sinner himself will be saved but only as one escaping from the flames”
[/I][/B]

Our government can serve the Righteous cause of defending the God established Constitutional, Representative Republic or the God ordained task of disciplining His apostate Church. Either way it will serve the Lord and its “sword” will not be bore in vain.

[quote]
5) Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.[/quote]
So as citizens and children of the God who raises and topples all governments by His sovereign will we should end the “Great Vacation” that has been in rebellion to our God, return the 30 pieces of silver to the unholy temple of bribes that we took it from and slay the imaginary “Caesar” that we have invented in our minds to justify our sloth and greed.

Christians will either submit to the authority and responsibilities that have been assigned to them by their God or they will soon find that their guilty conscience will be accompanied by the falling sword of discipline administered by the hand of whatever godless monster that the Lord chooses for the task.

[quote]
[SIZE=3][B]If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.[/B][/SIZE][/quote]
Christians can choose to render to Caesar what is Caesar’s by repenting and becoming diligent citizen rulers or another Caesar will rise to teach them the folly of greed and sloth.