What the hell is Texas coming to.

Teacher reportedly refused to grade student reports on guns | Fox News

We need to flush the damn liberals out of this state and this country.

An English teacher at Denton High School in the Dallas-Fort Worth area allegedly refused to grade two student reports because they discussed guns.

MyFoxDFW.com reports that the teacher, Dewey Christian, told his students to write a report on anything they wanted.

Marshall Williams, one of Christian’s students, told the station he chose to write about a Fort Worth gun show he had attended. He said Christian told him he would get a zero on the assignment because of the topic.

Another student, Alex Wright, said Christian rejected his report because it mentioned hunting.

Read more: Teacher reportedly refused to grade student reports on guns | Fox News

First off we dont know the context of this incident. Fox news? Big suprise there.

Apparantly the yayhoo teacher accepted the paper and apologized. Allthough the kids mother is still crying.The NRA crowd will no doubt use this incident for more soap box grandstanding

Blues - what EXACTLY is your issue with FOX New’s report on this matter? You indicate we don’t know the context within which the grade was witheld. While it might be true that we don’t know every detail, there is one detail we do know - the school apologized and the student’s paper was accepted for grading. That would tend to indicate that the school’s administration felt considerable unease with the teacher’s decision not to grade the paper. So, should FOX not have reported the story? If the boy had written about using guns to shoot up the school or to commit other forms of mayhem you can bet news sources would have been all over the story. It would seem the kid likes guns and gun shows. I’ll bet he enjoys target shooting and hunting, too. It has been my experience that people most often write about that with which they have an interest. That’s probably why the boy chose to write about guns and not about wearing drawers down around ones butt crack or cross-dressing!!

[quote=“MDMikeB, post:4, topic:38353”]
Blues - what EXACTLY is your issue with FOX New’s report on this matter? You indicate we don’t know the context within which the grade was witheld. While it might be true that we don’t know every detail, there is one detail we do know - the school apologized and the student’s paper was accepted for grading. That would tend to indicate that the school’s administration felt considerable unease with the teacher’s decision not to grade the paper. So, should FOX not have reported the story? If the boy had written about using guns to shoot up the school or to commit other forms of mayhem you can bet news sources would have been all over the story. It would seem the kid likes guns and gun shows. I’ll bet he enjoys target shooting and hunting, too. It has been my experience that people most often write about that with which they have an interest. That’s probably why the boy chose to write about guns and not about wearing drawers down around ones butt crack or cross-dressing!!
[/quote] Seems to me that his point was he doesn’t like FoxNews. :howler:

[quote=“MDMikeB, post:4, topic:38353”]
[/quote] I dont consider Fox news fair and objective reporting, It’s right wing biased. I googled this story and every other source is right wing. So my initial thought was that it’s not the “whole story” It’s one sided. Another site expanded on the story saying that the teacher accepted the paper and apologized, however the mother is still making a lot of noise, crying free speech. The yayhoo teacher made a bad judgement call and corrected it. I dont even see how this is news.

Well, that’s fair. Most of us don’t consider MSNBCCNNABCYAHOOAP to be legitimate news either.

what sources do you consider fair and objective?

The yayhoo teacher made a bad judgement call and corrected it. I dont even see how this is news.

the problem is why exactly did this teacher make the bad judgement call? was it her personal beliefs that she wasnt able to control or was she overly worried about some of the subject mater in the essay

[quote=“UNTRugby, post:8, topic:38353”]
what sources do you consider fair and objective?

the problem is why exactly did this teacher make the bad judgement call? was it her personal beliefs that she wasnt able to control or was she overly worried about some of the subject mater in the essay
[/quote] Not many of them thats for sure. I frequent NPR the most probably, and if it’s some big story that the Left or right are making a big stink over I’ll glance over the left and right sources (Washington Post, Washington Times, etc) in order to get a broader picture. If I feel like I have to watch the news I’ll just turn on the local news.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

NPR is so far left they fired the liberal Juan Williams for being too right-wing

[quote=“UNTRugby, post:10, topic:38353”]
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

NPR is so far left they fired the liberal Juan Williams for being too right-wing
[/quote] Well god dang. Might as well just tune out all news media. Those that do are usually the most informed anyway.

Though many here claim NPR is far-left, the difference between, say, NPR and Fox News is that NPR doesn’t give opinion pieces in a channel that claims to be devoted to news. For instance, when I listen to Talk of the Nation, I hear a REPORT on the news, not an OPINION PIECE on what the news means, and I am left up to my own thoughts to determine my opinion. Though there may be some bias, the fact remains that NPR reports the news where others editorialize it.

Example, some transcripts from yesterday:

But first religious exemptions. Joining us now is John Witte, he’s a law professor and director of the Center for the Study of Law and Religion at Emory University. We’re talking to him from member station WABE in Atlanta. And welcome to the program.

JOHN WITTE: Thank you, Jennifer, good to be here.

LUDDEN: So give us a bit of history here. When and why did religious exemptions start?

WITTE: We’ve had religious exemptions in the history of the West for a long time, but they came into the American scene in the 18th century. And religious exemptions were viewed as a way of achieving religious freedom for select groups. You mentioned a number of the kinds of exemptions that existed. In the 18th century, an important one was conscientious objection to military service. The thought being those that were conscientiously opposed wouldn’t be forced into military service but could serve by an alternative means.

LUDDEN: Was that true in the Revolution? I’m curious.

WITTE: Absolutely, absolutely, and Quakers and Moravians and other groups were free from service, but they had to provide a substitute: a horse, a musket, provisioning for soldiers and the like.

Another one in the Revolutionary period and continuing into the republic was objection to oath-swearing. A person couldn’t swear an oath, they could be free from the swearing of an oath on a Bible or another religious text, but they would have to give another alternative form of proving their veracity.

A third one was property tax exemptions for religious properties. The thought being that separation of church and state is better achieved by simply saying that the state will not tax the church, and the church in turn will do charitable service in the community, and it will be a wash in terms of the economic consequences for the community.

LUDDEN: So it was a religious freedom issue.

WITTE: It was a religious freedom issue and a way of achieving religious freedom, not the only way, but a way of achieving religious freedom when there was no way to otherwise release the tension between state power and the claims of conscience or a central commandment of the faith of a particular religious party.

Note that in the context of the story (birth control and religious institutions) this would actually lead one to be supportive of exemptions.

And now from Fox & Friends (which is representative of similar programs on MSNBC and, for the most part, CNN as well):

A: Let’s talk about something else on Capital Hill and that is gun laws in the face of some of these major shootings that have happened in recent times. Well now in the state of Washington, could it be that in a law there they have accidentally included a provision that would allow police to search the homes of assault rifle owners.

Apparently, it does have some sort of a provision that says in order to contain or possess an assault weapon that was legally purchased on the effective date of this section, the person possessing shall safely and securely store the assault weapon. The sheriff of the county may no more than once per year conduct an inspection to ensure compliance with this subsection.

Now, why is this interesting? It’s interesting because that would mean the sheriff would come to your house when you legally own a gun to see where you store them. Now what does that lead to next? Many are concerned about that. But why this story is so important is because there’s actually a liberal democrat in Washington State who is against this even though he normally would not be.

And I think that this is very interesting to point out because often times this discussion is just right or left. Now you have somebody who’s actually looking at the law and having an open mind and saying maybe this isn’t the right way to take this.

B: Home inspections with no warrants is very Orwellian and so that’s why a lot of people in this country who, when they’re talking about, oh, background checks, okay, we’re all for background checks, right? Well background checks may lead to national registration, national registration leads to [knock, knock, knock] I’m from the Sheriff’s department, we just want to see where you’re guns are.

Compared to NPR, much of the TV news makes it a point to tell you why an issue is important, what the opinion on the issue should be, and what the potential consequences are, often with nothing to back up their claims. NPR makes it a point to not do this. I’ve never heard dialogue like this on the radio.

I want the teacher fired! I’m tired of these Libtards!

Blues - Did you ever bother to ask yourself why the other news sources were not carrying the story?

Given the politically charged atmosphere surrounding the general topic of guns and school, surely you don’t think this episode was a non-story, do you? The school administration got involved with the parental complaint and apologized on behalf of the school. I’m not sure whether or not the teacher has apologized or not. One is left to speculate regarding the teacher’s willingness to relent and accept the kid’s composition had the school leadership not gotten involved. I would think the teacher did not apologize before being roasted by his principal - but, admittedly, that’s speculation on my part based on the way the story has unfolded and the order in which the facts have been reported - including your reporting of them, Blues. The point is the teacher used poor judgement. Guns/school is a hot topic and FOX reported it. Hopefully the teacher learned something from the experience.

Reuters. Reuters. Reuters.

The only news company to receive criticism for being too objective.

Reuters is good, too.

That’s hardly a real comparison. You picked a SPECIFIC story from Fox (which was from Tuesday not “yesterday”) that drew criticism for being biased

Fox & Friends Rips ‘Orwellian’ Bill That Would Allow Police To Search Homes Of Assault Rifles Owners | Mediaite

The main point is that children across the nation are being taught anti constitutional agendas.
We need to teach our founding values.

Mhmm Mhmm, I see your point there. Excellent point. Hmm yes, please continue, very interesting theory there. Perfect dissertation my dear.