What's The Deal With Avast Shields?

It may just be coincidence (I doubt it) but every since I installed Avast Pro anti-virus, I have not been able to connect to the internet (other than locally) until I stop the Shields!?

I have no idea and am not even sure if I need to run these ‘shields’?

There is an option to disable the shields permanently and I am pretty close to doing just that!

I Have to assume that it’s the shields because I can start the pc … wait 30-40 minuets and have only a local connection … until I disable the shields and then … almost instant internet!

One more thing … It appears that Avast is also responsible for changing the color of my task/launch bar and I can’t change it back!?

It has always been black and now it’s a washed out grayish color!

Any ideas?

Thanks

[quote=“sillipuddi, post:1, topic:39214”]
It may just be coincidence (I doubt it) but every since I installed Avast Pro anti-virus, I have not been able to connect to the internet (other than locally) until I stop the Shields!?

I have no idea and am not even sure if I need to run these ‘shields’?

There is an option to disable the shields permanently and I am pretty close to doing just that!

I Have to assume that it’s the shields because I can start the pc … wait 30-40 minuets and have only a local connection … until I disable the shields and then … almost instant internet!

One more thing … It appears that Avast is also responsible for changing the color of my task/launch bar and I can’t change it back!?

It has always been black and now it’s a washed out grayish color!

Any ideas?

Thanks
[/quote]I have never used Avast but in the pass when using Norton I have sometimes encountered the same thing. What I did was to go into Norton and look for permissions and checked to ensure the internet and other programs were granted total access…

As for the color the only thing I can suggest is go into control panel, I am assuming you have some version of windows, and check with the nividia or program that controls the appearance.

I prefer AVG free. It came highly recommended by our IT Dept.

I use FREE and disable most of the shields. No problems. Only have active File, Network, Web & Script shields active. Have you looked at installed programs list and made sure you have NO other security running?? Sometimes, pre-installed stuff sets up conflicts and trouble.
Suggest uninstall and go with the free stuff.

DOD’s policy does not allow AVG antivirus. There are numerous reasons for this, but I’ll keep it simple: Their product does not work as well as Symantec or McCaffee.

Having said that, it’s better than nothing, and for a home pc I’m sure it’s fine.

Sounds like you just need to either disable the shields or fully configure your software.

AVG is NOT Avast. Used to be good…used it for several years. Now it sucks. Avast works well but the latest update with the reminder shields is a PITA!

Avast is probably using some sort of firewall to block your browser from sending or receiving a connection. Trying pinging a server with your command prompt. First ping the router or another computer on the network, then try pinging google or something. If you get a response, but you still can’t connect on your browser, it’s probably the firewall.