Where would the election be if Trump had not joined or caught on?

If Trump had not decided to run or had never caught on among voters, what do you think the primaries would look like right now?

Interesting question. Hmmm…

I think Jeb Bush would have lasted a lot longer than he did. A lot of his attacks seemed to stem from Trump.

I think Cruz would have things pretty well wrapped up.

I do not see that Repub voters would have gone for Jeb Bush, Rubio, Kasich or anyone other than a perceived outsider.

People are pissed and Cruz would have been the rational “outsider” selection. He still is the rational choice even with Trump in the race, but we don’t have a rational and informed electorate and voters have decided they want a flame-throwing strong man to go to Washington to kick everyone’s ass - without regard to the possible consequences of the man’s obvious shortcomings.

[quote=“MDMikeB, post:4, topic:48456”]
we don’t have a rational and informed electorate
[/quote]How can I be as rational and informed as you Mike?

The short answer - It’s not possible. LMAO

True. First, one has to have the ability to THINK rationally and without allowing emotions to take control of one’s thought processes.

It looks like Trump won the state of Illinois in spite of the goings on in Chicago

I always go back to the “The most charismatic candidate has a huge advantage”. I think without Trump, Rubio would have run to the Right, and Bush would have been the establishment guy. Cruz would still win Iowa, but Rubio or Christie would be your NH winner. I think Kasich came in 2nd there as an anti-Trump. It would have been similar to 2008, with McCain, Romney, and Huckabee fighting it out. Only this time it would be Cruz, Bush, Rubio, and Christie. I don’t think Cruz is a lock at all. He’d have a good chance, but I wouldn’t say he was the flat out favorite to win.

The establishment would have tried to duplicate the 2012 Romney strategy. Would Cruz or Fiorina or Carson have been able to unleash the anger and rage of what is currently the Trump coalition?
:noclue:

Yes Sir, he goes out and builds the coalition the GOP has stated over and over that they wish to build, and they turn on him, vehemently. They are so afraid that he will derail their Gravy Train, they hate him. They know they cannot control him, and know he’s gonna expose them for being the corrupt charlatans that they are. Amazing.

And, it is obvious that the GOP is searching for a way to steal Trump’s Thunder. I fear that one morning, before the convention, we hear that Trump has met his demise.

:yeahthat:

I actually fear the demise of any prominent politician on either side. This country is ready to explode and I certainly don’t want to look at BHO’s picture on the quarter for the rest of my life.

Well, I have given this a good bit of thought.
Rick Wilson, a Republican Party Consultant, said, “Trump is still a very powerful force right now” because he appeals to part of the of the conservative base that Wilson said was activated by his “nativist” message. Wilson insisted that the donor class “can’t just sit back on the sidelines and say, ‘oh well, don’t worry, this will all work itself out.’”

“They’re still going to have to go out and put a bullet in Donald Trump,” Wilson said. “And that’s a fact.”
I also read something about the Russian Intelligence community saying they broke encryption on a laptop seized from 5 Saudi nationals, that show Trump’s itinerary and travel. They say they warned Trump. It has been communicated that he sought extra Secret Service Protection, and was denied.

I fear for his life. If the vitriol is as high on the streets as it is here at RO, we SHOULD worry.

Seriously? ZZzzzzzz…