White House cancelling tours... guess why...

Here it comes…

White House cancels tours, citing sequester - First Read=

Isn’t the idea of conservatives that we need to save money? Isn’t this a good thing for those concerned about fiscal responsibility?

The point is that these cuts are being done to maximize impact on citizens, rather than making the cuts intelligently. The term for it is “Washington Monument Syndrome”. The “cuts” are a tiny reduction in the rate of growth of the Federal budget, not true reductions in spending. All the Sequester Hysteria is just that, hype to further a political agenda.

[quote=“PeteS_in_CA, post:3, topic:38552”]
The point is that these cuts are being done to maximize impact on citizens, rather than making the cuts intelligently. The term for it is “Washington Monument Syndrome”. The “cuts” are a tiny reduction in the rate of growth of the Federal budget, not true reductions in spending. All the Sequester Hysteria is just that, hype to further a political agenda.
[/quote]Ignore the tie-in to the sequester for a moment…isn’t cut in government what conservatives want? After all, most cuts will affect citizens someplace.

One of the Reps proposed a law today that forbids Obama to use AF1 to go play golf until White House Tours resume. LOL

And yes oh sly one…the cuts are GOOD. What is not good is BHO’s refusal to accept the authority from Congress to use good judgement in WHERE the cuts should come from as opposed to the slash & burn everything equally approach. That said…the latter is FAR superior to the staus quo ante.

[quote=“Cam, post:5, topic:38552”]
One of the Reps proposed a law today that forbids Obama to use AF1 to go play golf until White House Tours resume. LOL
[/quote]It’s funny our legislators are wasting our time with frivoulous bill introductions that have no chance of passing?

And yes oh sly one…the cuts are GOOD.
So you are saying the Obama Administration made the right decision by cancelling these tours, correct?

What is not good is BHO’s refusal to accept the authority from Congress to use good judgement in WHERE the cuts should come from as opposed to the slash & burn everything equally approach. That said…the latter is FAR superior to the staus quo ante.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but Congress has yet to put legislation of where specific cuts should come from on his desk. I know the House Republicans have their ideas and the Senate Democrats have their ideas, but I don’t believe Obama has actually had to decide yet, has he?

So really, instead of blaming Obama for something he doesn’t control, you should be upset with partisanship in Congress, which has yet to formally assert its authority on specificity of spending cuts. Correct?

Sure. Why don’t we save some REAL money and phase out the social(ist) programs?

Let’s not, since that’s what this thread is about.

If it makes a valid point, it isn’t frivolous. Closing the White House to visitors after grossly bloating stupid subsidies is. And Obama controls a lot; that’s why his administration got the money to Solyndra (and a truckload of other “green” energy failures) after Bush refused to.

[quote=“Fantasy_Chaser, post:7, topic:38552”]
Sure. Why don’t we save some REAL money and phase out the social(ist) programs?
[/quote]Because there are many in this country who feel a sense of responsibility to our elders to not let them live out their final years in misery. That’s not a judgment from me, that’s just the mentality behind keeping those programs.

If it makes a valid point, it isn’t frivolous. Closing the White House to visitors after grossly bloating stupid subsidies is.
I don’t understand how[SIZE=3], they are two separate issues. Saving money is saving money. There [SIZE=3]are a lot of subsidies (which are the result of both parties) which waste a [SIZE=3]lot of money, but just because they waste money, we shouldn’t save money on White House tours?

Now, I’m not saying I agree or disagree with canceling White Hou[SIZE=3]se tours, I honestly could not care less either way. I’m just pointing out[SIZE=3] that conservatives should be [SIZE=3]embracing this move, not [SIZE=3]using it as another way to criticize Obama.[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

And Obama controls a lot; that’s why his administration got the money to Solyndra (and a truckload of other “green” energy failures) after Bush refused to.
[/SIZE]Umm, you are way off on this.

Plouffe said that the loan guarantee program that awarded half a billion dollars in guarantees to Solyndra “was supported by President Bush.” The program was created on Bush’s watch by a law he signed and promoted. The program grew under the Obama administration, which ultimately awarded Solyndra’s loan guarantee under a new section of the law created by the stimulus. The Bush administration, though, promoted the loan guarantee program, and Bush himself touted it on his way out of office. There’s also evidence his administration specifically prioritized Solyndra’s project. We find Plouffe’s statement Mostly True.

Link: PolitiFact | Did the program that funded the Solyndra loan start under George W. Bush? David Plouffe says so

Nah…I’m content to blame Obama…he’s a lying SOB who earned a whole slew of Pinocchios over this and he’s moved the goal posts as Woodward points out to BHO’s chagrin. The sequester is a FACT now. It ain’t the Congresses Fault that Obama wants to make it more painful for the general public than it has any right to be.

This just in:
With the White House closing its doors to public tour groups in order to save money for the sequester, it’s worth remembering some of the other costs the White House incurs annually.

Like the “Chief Calligrapher,” Patricia A. Blair, who has an annual salary of $96,725, and her two deputies, Debra S. Brown, who gets paid $85,953 per year, and Richard T. Muffler, who gets paid $94,372 every year.

In all, the White House appears to employ 3 calligraphers for a yearly total of $277,050. [Sequestermania: White House calligraphers making $277,000 as WH public tours are suspended « Hot Air](http://hotair.com/archives/2013/03/06/sequestermania-white-house-calligraphers-making-277000-as-wh-public-tours-are-suspended/)

In honor of the sequester, tonites dinner cards have been scaled back and the calligraphers have noted:“Dessert: A Variety of Fine Pastries” instead of a complete overview of the choices available.
OH…the pain is beginning to be felt in Washington!

I wonder if Obama will reign in his partying and vacations paid on the taxpayer dime to help save the economy? Rhetorical question. I bet his social secretary gets more action than his political secretaries.

I guess I can’t see how BO is hurting the general public. Who would want to tour the WH with that marxist-commie creeping around in it? It would have to be fumigated before I’d go in it. ICK!!! :sick:

1. Pardon me (or not; I don’t care) if I suspect otherwise…
  2. The issue in the first place is the hypocrisy of the Obama administration. It never was about the White House tours per se.
  3. I’ll let it ride, because I don’t feel like digging through it. But it’s hardly the only example.

Re #3, Solyndra was located near where I live, so it was a bit more to my interest (1100 people being laid off suddenly all at once kind of gets one’s attention, IYKWIM). The program through which Solyndra got the loan began under Pres. Bush. BUT, the Bush Administration was in the process of turning Solyndra down when Obama came into office and reversed that decision! That’s the risk of telling half-truths like #3. You risk trying the half-truth on some one who remembers the rest of the story.