White House could use "executive orders" to deal with gun control

Vice President Biden said Wednesday that the White House could use “executive orders” to deal with gun control, as he kicked off a round of meetings aimed at finding ways to curb gun violence.

The vice president met Wednesday with gun-safety and victims groups, saying he is “determined” to take “urgent action” to address gun violence.

“This is not an exercise in photo opportunities or just getting to ask you all what your opinions are. We are vitally interested in what you have to say,” Biden said.

Biden suggests White House could act without Congress as part of gun control plan | Fox News

The problem is that the congress would probably increase the FBI funding to help him do it. With Obama using troops without congress, claims the power of assassination, indefinite detention, 30,000 drones coming to a town near you, secret prisions, etc. this would not suprise me in the least. It is just the next step for a totalitarian government.

I personally would like to see it happen. Lets see if the there is an American spirt left. By “American”, I mean something completely different than the majority whom I mock with the term “Murica”!

Doug Casey on the America That Was

Any Executive Order to “infringe” the Second Amendment would amount to domestic treason, IMO.
Isn’t it ironic, the very Amendment our Founders gave us to fight a tyrannical Government is under attack by this Government? Tyrannical??

“There are executive orders, executive action that can be taken,” Biden said.

Oh there are, are there?
SHOW ME!
(What # “stupid comment” from Biden does this make?)

The whole article is replete with b.s. that I don’t much feel like bothering with, mainly because it’s just too stupid.
But it is ‘interesting’ that the W.H. is meeting with FOUR anti-gun groups, while meeting with only ONE pro-gun group. Have they not heard of GOA? Or are they afraid of meeting with a group that actually *is *pro- 2nd Amendment, and has no familialty for Big Government answers? (like the NRA does)

…Like these traitors to the country, 2nd Amendment, and all who stand behind it:

Pro-gun lawmakers on Capitol Hill have said any comprehensive effort to respond to the Newtown shooting **must include more than just tighter gun control.

If that is to be believed, I want names!
:fuming:

Indeed. Though the executive has the power to issue executive orders, they cannot infringe on the Constitution. So if the solution they comes up with does that, they will be challenged.

By who? People on RO?

Redundant… :grin:

By whoever files a lawsuit for violation of civil rights in Federal court. I imagine a class action suit would result from such BS.

Fair enough. I was just pointing out the absurdity of expecting the govt to provide checks and balances without enormous civilian pressure.

FWIW, here are the raw numbers of Executive Orders from each POTUS since (and including) Reagan:

Barack Obama (2009-Present)
EO’s 13489 - 13632 >>>> 143 EO’s in 4 years

George W. Bush (2001-2009)
EO’s 13198-13488 >>>> 290 EO’s in 8 years

William J. Clinton (1993-2001)
EO’s 12834-13197 >>>> 363 EO’s in 8 years

George Bush (1989-1993)
EO’s 12668-12833 >>>> 165 EO’s in 4 years

Ronald Reagan (1981-1989)
EO’s 12287-12667 >>>> 380 EO’s in 8 years

It’d be interesting to see what they issued orders for as well.

By who? the ACLU? don’t hold your breath!

By private individuals, and probably a class-action suit or three.

Probably also the NRA.

I doubt that they would have standing. But they’d probably fund a class-action suit.

Well Obama did use some executive orders but it seems most are just reinforcing current laws

1. “Issue a presidential memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.”

2. “Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.”

3. “Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.”

4. “Direct the attorney general to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.”

5. “Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.”

6. “Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.”

7. “Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.”

8. “Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).”

9. “Issue a presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.”

10. “Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.”

11. “Nominate an ATF director.”

12. “Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.”

13. “Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.”

14. “Issue a presidential memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.”

15. “Direct the attorney general to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.”

16. “Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.”

17. “Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.”

18. “Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.”

19. “Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.”

20. “Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.”

21. “Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.”

22. “Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.”

23. “Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.”

Obama announces 23 exective actions, asks Congress to pass gun laws – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

Does that seem vague and open-ended, not with gun control in particular but in general?

Laws on top of existing laws so that democrats can make themselves feel better. Move along…Nothing to see here.

But we’ll get more regulation, and it’ll cost more money. Guess there is something to see here. I’m just not sure what or how because these actions are rather vague.

No low-info voters bother to look at this stuff…they just say…Obama did 23 things today to stop the insanity and they have no idea of anything more.

Man…for all the worry about his exec orders…this is simply a pile of crap. Just bureaucratic make work that substitutes for actually doing something for constituents. Step #24 should be to require the OMB to compile the annual cost of all this running around and assess results directly attributable to these actions in one year.

The scarier stuff he saved for Congress. I hope we don’t get some cave in on any of those points…like “high capacity” magazine bans.
Did anyone see the “speech”. Absolutely shameless pandering to the far left and emotional PR stunts.

Obama’s Justice Department: Gun Control Won’t Work Without ‘Mandatory’ Confiscation

IT’S ABOUT DISARMING AMERICA GENTS, WAKE UP!!!