Who Remembers ...

In the early to mid 60’s, local TV stations would shut down for a few hours but before doing so … some folks were lucky enough to be entertained by this!

I place this in the Faith and Beliefs forum simply because of very last line … which Still sends chills up my spine!

The America I grew up in was a proud America.

That kind of patriotism and faith that long sustained this nation is long gone. I do my best to keep it alive within my own family but it is a losing battle.

Seravee, thanks so much for sharing a touching memory that I wouldn’t have thought to share with my children & g-kids, and now will.
Yes, still chills - and it’s okay if your eyes water some, too.

I remember when radio stations would sign off at midnight. I remember when TV signed off for a few hours each night and news was 15 minutes on TV.

I’m pretty sure President Reagan used the last part when he spoke publicly about the Challenger disaster. I remember it being very poignant. I don’t remember this as my parents would never let me stay up past a certain time. But, it does send chills.

Now I have to admit being both patriotic and a naughty little girl. (Thx a lot. lol) I wasn’t allowed to stay up that late, either. Sometimes I’d sneak back down into the living room when I was sure my parents were asleep.

High Flight was written by 19 year old Pilot Officer John Gillespie Magee.

So exited was the 19-year-old about his first flights in a Spitfire that he jotted his feelings on the back of an envelope, and sent it to his parents with the note: “It started at 30,000 feet, and was finished soon after I landed. I thought it might interest you.” The scribbled poem was “High Flight.”

A few weeks later Magee was dead, killed not in the whirl of combat but in a midair collision with a trainer on a misty winter’s day. A farmer saw his disintegrating Spitfire fall, and watched Magee struggling to bail out. His parachute failed to open.

Pilot Officer John Gillespie Magee

Oh how absolutely sad!