Who was Germany Schaefer?

He was the fellow responsible for major league baseball’s rule 7.08i that you are not allowed to run the bases in reverse. Pretty amusing character.

If I recall the story, his teammate was on third with less than two outs. Schaefer was on first and stole second to try to draw the throw, so the man on third could score. When that didn’t work, he promptly stole first!

[quote=“Jazzhead, post:2, topic:47820”]
If I recall the story, his teammate was on third with less than two outs. Schaefer was on first and stole second to try to draw the throw, so the man on third could score. When that didn’t work, he promptly stole first!
[/quote]That’s the man. I am reading a great biography of Ty Cobb which shows that Cobb has been badly treated in pursuit of creating a baseball legend. He was not the monster and friendless racist he has been painted. Schaefer was one of his friends. Another was Tris Speaker my great-great uncle

I’ve read several biographies of Cobb, an endlessly fascinating character. Is this a new one? He reminds me of all-time Phillie great Chase Utley - guys who do what it takes to win when the situation demands it.

[quote=“Jazzhead, post:4, topic:47820”]
I’ve read several biographies of Cobb, an endlessly fascinating character. Is this a new one? He reminds me of all-time Phillie great Chase Utley - guys who do what it takes to win when the situation demands it.
[/quote]It is new as in 2015. Cobb was a genius…not a naturaly gifted player. He was a brilliant man.

Wasn’t there a movie about him some years back? If I remember correctly, wasn’t it Tommy Lee Jones who played Ty Cobb?

[quote=“ClassicalTeacher, post:6, topic:47820”]
Wasn’t there a movie about him some years back? If I remember correctly, wasn’t it Tommy Lee Jones who played Ty Cobb?
[/quote]Yes and Tommy Lee Jones was fantastic however according to this book it was almost all a lie.

There are no films of Ty Cobb available but I suspect the films of Jackie Robinson show what Cobb-ball was like (and for good reason). But Cobb was the greatest at it…maybe.

CT, Ty Cobb established the right way to play baseball before the coming of Babe Ruth, with a supreme ability to get on base and disrupt the action for all that followed. As for his racism, it may be noted that he played during the entire Presidency of Woodrow Wilson.

As for Cobb the movie, it’s a portrait of the pissed-off lion in winter. In the end he seems to dare to stare down the Lord Himself, and that’s one of most amazing scenes I’ve witnessed at the movies.

Great movie for certain but like “The Lion in Winter” pretty bogus…at least from what I am reading …when it comes to hisorical accuracy.

HERE is Schaefer’s SABR bio. Lots of good Germany Schaefer stories!

[quote=“Jazzhead, post:11, topic:47820”]
HERE is Schaefer’s SABR bio. Lots of good Germany Schaefer stories!
[/quote]Sorry …can’t get past the story of stealing first base without cracking up.

There was an equally funny incident relayed by the guy who played with Germany Schaefer when the first-base steal happened about a left handed pitcher named Jimmy St. Vrain who batted right but could not hit even a decent foul ball. So after striking out when he got back to the bench the manager suggested half-kiddingly that he try turning around and bat left-handed. So the next time up Jimmy did just that and amazingly hit a ground ball to Honus Wagner and took of as fast as he could towards third base. Everyone was yelling and screaming at him and Wagner said he was so confused he almost threw the ball to third.