Why are there so many atheists on the internet?

Specifically speaking, on this forum:

Yahoo! Answers - Home

I mean, there are many religions everywhere else but on this forum it seems to be the exception rather than the rule. It seems more one-sided to me than the politics section is. Almost every religious question I discover has some answer similar along the lines of “God doesn’t exist” or “Your [insert random ‘God’ insult here] isn’t real”. I have no real problem with atheism or even with secular ideology. In fact I have issues with religion myself but I don’t want to bring that up. What actually concerns me is that sometimes mods on forums are being biased and want to make the forum more or less single-viewpoint dominant. I don’t know how this forum’s mod system actually works though. And don’t you think it is odd that all these atheists happen to be in a single place?

It’s because the atheists have found a forum with moderators that tolerate their obnoxious BS.

What really sucks is what I perceive as a condescending attitude from older people implying that I must ‘hate’ God and I am supposed to be a ‘liberal’ because of my own generation of people. I honestly wish it was the other way around for once so they can shut up already.

In the first place what makes you so quick to believe that people are atheists just because they tell you they are on the Internet? I mean I can think of a very good motive to explain why they would lie about it.

Imo, many of them are no more an atheist than Billy Graham is an atheist. Imo, many of these “atheists” are lonely individuals without a life and they want to feel important by announcing to the world that they are “different”, and what better and quicker way to be “different” and thereby get attention than to announce that “I am an atheist” to the theist-majority on the Internet who finds atheism strange indeed, even shocking.

What is the quickest way to get attention on a posting board? Answer: Announce that you are an atheist! Of course, they do not say “Hey look over here everybody, I’m an atheist” in just those words, but thats what it boils down to. I mean you can rest assured that they’re gonna make sure that you fully understand that they are an “atheist” by showing up in Faith and Beliefs Forums and taking their usual little digs and insults at faith and Christianity, because Christianity is the predominate faith on the Internet and in America.

Arrive on a posting board and announce that you are not sure either way whether God does or does not exist, and everybody will ignore you.

Now here is another good explanation offered by Tiny that may very well trump my suggestion above. Tiny says that the atheists are really looking to find the Lord and we ought to present the gospel to them? Tiny goes on to say that “If we Christians do not present the gospel to them, then who will do that”? Tiny makes a very good point, because the non-Christians are certainly not going to preach the gospel to the non-Christians. Tiny’s point is that the presence of the atheists on the Internet is a golden opportunity for we Christians to put the gospel into their minds. They cannot NOT read our religious type posts if they want to have a conversation with us, so Tiny is right, the atheists whether true-atheists or phony-attention-seeking atheists will in fact and for certain have the gospel and other Biblical truths passed through their mind, and this may lead to their conversion to Christianity:

Keep in mind that all of God’s people will come to Him. Jesus said, “All that the Father gives Me, will come to Me”

And don’t forget Acts 13:48 which says:

47 For this is what the Lord has commanded us:

“‘I have made you[f] a light for the Gentiles,
that you[g] may bring salvation to the ends of the earth.’[h]”

48 When the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and honored the word of the Lord; ** and all who were appointed for eternal life believed. **

The whole Internet, not just RO, has a lot of true-atheists as well as phony-attention-seeking-atheists. The Internet offers The Fringe something that no other medium offers:

(1) Total privacy

(2) Total Anonymity

(3) Keyboard Courage.

That means a member of The Fringe (eg. a particularly harshly insulting atheist who harshly mocks and insults Christianity) does not have to face his Southern Baptist boss come Monday morning on his job after he has boldly insulted God, Christianity, and the Bible here on the Internet under the screen name of DippityDo.

Its just a fact of life that the Internet offers The Fringe a safe place to vent their weirdo ideas without having to pay any price whatsoever. Moreover, no matter how strange and weird their ideas are, they can always find at least a small group of 2 or 3 that think they’re cool and that will read their inane babblings, and for most members of The Fringe a little group of 2 or 3 that think they’re cool is totally enough to keep their little dinky ego going strong.

Afterall, here in Webby World they have at least 2 or 3 that think they’re cool, while back in Real World everybody that is anybody would label them and their ideas as weird and proceed to ignore them or mock them as members of the Fruitcake Brigade.

:cool:

The assertion that we old people need to shut up really is about the fact that the newer generation embrace ideals which go contrary to the bible. Abortion is fine with them. Homosexuality is fine with them. Who knows what else the young embrace , but for me, I will stick with the values I was taught not the new meanings of the bible that have been superimposed.

The “new meanings” of the Bible have little to do with what is actually in the Bible.

[quote=“Susanna, post:6, topic:37360”]
The “new meanings” of the Bible have little to do with what is actually in the Bible.
[/quote]Very true

Those are assumptions that those polls support sure. I can tell you there are young people who don’t see it the way you think they do!

1. Though I am pro-choice, it doesn’t mean abortion is fine with me or that I believe planned parenthood and acorn are the greatest things on Earth and that it’s the only issue I voted on to re-elect Obama (I voted Romney obv)

2. Though I realize that homosexuality goes on regardless of who is allowed to marry whom, I am strongly against Gay Marriage.

Back to the topic at hand, Though I may be Agnostic, that is I still believe in God and still pray and still go to church, I don’t submit to any one religion, religious traditions, or belief.

I will never get Atheists though a belief in no God is still a belief. Therefore the ultimate contradiction.

Though the answer to the original question, “why are there more atheists on the internet?” May be due to the fact that you can’t find God on the internet. No matter how much the Matrix makes you think so. Not twenty years ago Parents were dragging their kids to church and the kids went because that’s all they could really do on a Sunday Morning. The TV was regulated by the parents.

But now if a kid has a computer in his/her room the kid can claim that he can listen to some pastor like Joel Osteen instead of going to church when in reality he is posting Anti-religious hate messages on Yahoo answers.

Now there’s an oxymoron if I ever saw one!

I used to say that until I realized just how rediculous it sounds. It parses the logic of the situation mid-stream wrt the actual results. It can be used to make one FEEl better about having such a wrong and (ultimately) EVIL position.

What actually concerns me is that sometimes mods on forums are being biased and want to make the forum more or less single-viewpoint dominant. I don’t know how this forum’s mod system actually works though.

The second sentence I quoted contradicts the sentence immediately before it. In fact, the more I think on it, the more self-contradictory your post seems: you point out the number of atheist here on RO, yet claim RO is being Moderated to make the theistic POV dominant. That aside, a couple comments/questions. There are, as you acknowledged, quite a few atheists/agnostics/skeptics who post regularly on RO. While their comments often receive strong responses - the balance of heat and light in those responses varying - RO staff do not treat RO’s atheists/agnostics/skeptics differently than RO’s Christians, Jews, Pastafarians or Budweisopalians. Second, RO staff people are not lockstep of a single POV. Politically we range conservative to libertarian; in terms of religion, I think we are currently mostly from the Evangelical-Fundamental Protestant POV (at least one past Mod was a Catholic), but have had (and I hope soon will again have) a Mod who is an agnostic or atheist. TheOperative, who started RO, posted this in 2004:

We aim to be the premiere conservative forums hangout. Liberals are allowed to join but keep in mind you are vastly out-numbered here. We will however treat everyone with respect until they screw it up, then they get banned.

It remains the standard by which RO is Moderated, and RO staff understand it to apply equally beyond just the political liberal-conservative divide. RO staff are humans, not omniscient or omnipresent, but we try to Moderate as evenly as possible and act as checks on each other (with enough diversity among us that we are not an echo chamber).

:howler:

There are a few Budweisopalians in our city that go “Hick-up burp burrrrrppp.”

:smiley:

How so? I am not a woman and therefore my position would probably change if I was one, but I am for abortions in extreme cases such as rape and incest. That so wrong?

I’ve never understood this. A person who is an actual Atheist shouldn’t be expecting anybody to hate a God that supposedly doesn’t exist. Just what are you supposed to get mad at? Right, something that doesn’t exist. DERP With that said, wishing that it was the other way around sounds hypocritical to me.

This seems to be a good place for this. Excerpts from Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn’s, “Men have forgotten God”. Good piece with a fair amount of parallels.

snip

The same kind of defect, the flaw of a consciousness lacking all divine dimension, was manifested after World War II when the West yielded to the satanic temptation of the “nuclear umbrella.” It was equivalent to saying: Let’s cast off worries, let’s free the younger generation from their duties and obligations, let’s make no effort to defend ourselves, to say nothing of defending others-let’s stop our ears to the groans emanating from the East, and let us live instead in the pursuit of happiness. If danger should threaten us, we shall be protected by the nuclear bomb; if not, then let the world burn in Hell for all we care. The pitifully helpless state to which the contemporary West has sunk is in large measure due to this fatal error: the belief that the defense of peace depends not on stout hearts and steadfast men, but solely on the nuclear bomb…

Today’ s world has reached a stage which, if it had been described to preceding centuries, would have called forth the cry: “This is the Apocalypse!”

Yet we have grown used to this kind of world; we even feel at home in it.

snip

It was Dostoevsky, once again, who drew from the French Revolution and its seeming hatred of the Church the lesson that “revolution must necessarily begin with atheism.” That is absolutely true. But the world had never before known a godlessness as organized, militarized, and tenaciously malevolent as that practiced by Marxism. Within the philosophical system of Marx and Lenin, and at the heart of their psychology, hatred of God is the principal driving force, more fundamental than all their political and economic pretensions. Militant atheism is not merely incidental or marginal to Communist policy; it is not a side effect, but the central pivot.

snip

It is here that we see the dawn of hope: for no matter how formidably Communism bristles with tanks and rockets, no matter what successes it attains in seizing the planet, it is doomed never to vanquish Christianity.

The West has yet to experience a Communist invasion; religion here remains free. But the West’s own historical evolution has been such that today it too is experiencing a drying up of religious consciousness. It too has witnessed racking schisms, bloody religious wars, and rancor, to say nothing of the tide of secularism that, from the late Middle Ages onward, has progressively inundated the West. This gradual sapping of strength from within is a threat to faith that is perhaps even more dangerous than any attempt to assault religion violently from without.

snip

This deliberately nurtured hatred then spreads to all that is alive, to life itself, to the world with its colors, sounds, and shapes, to the human body. The embittered art of the twentieth century is perishing as a result of this ugly hate, for art is fruitless without love. In the East art has collapsed because it has been knocked down and trampled upon, but in the West the fall has been voluntary, a decline into a contrived and pretentious quest where the artist, instead of attempting to reveal the divine plan, tries to put himsef in the place of God.

Here again we witness the single outcome of a worldwide process, with East and West yielding the same results, and once again for the same reason: Men have forgotten God.

The Imaginative Conservative: Men Have Forgotten God

To say you are pro-choice means that abortion is fine with you.

I would not expect an atheist to hate God; I would expect him to be indifferent to God. But many people who self-identify as atheists have to constantly be criticizing everybody who believes in Him. In fact, some “atheists” talk about God a lot more than a lot of people who self-identify as Christians.

I imagine it has a lot to do with people trying to validate their beliefs. Just as I feel many Christians are rather preachy to me about my Agnostic beliefs, I can see Atheists getting bent out of shape about their beliefs about religion. It just seems to me that both sides are insisting they are right to the point that they are willing to get rather ugly about it.

The problem I have with many atheists is that they spend an awful lot of time fighting a God they claim doesn’t exist. Christians may get preachy, but they also may be truly concerned about your eternal soul. Not true of all of them, I’m afraid, unfortunately, and too many of them go about it in a tactless way. But if you feel that they are getting preachy, try to remember that it may be because they are concerned about your eternal destination - that it is not about them.