Why I am Catholic

Why I am Catholic
(A brief excerpt from the booklet “Pillar of Fire, Pillar of Truth”)

QUOTE:

Among the Christian churches, only the Catholic Church has existed since the time of Jesus. Every other Christian church is an offshoot of the Catholic Church. The Eastern Orthodox churches broke away from unity with the pope in 1054. The Protestant churches were established during the Reformation, which began in 1517. (Most of today’s Protestant churches are actually offshoots of the original Protestant offshoots.)

Only the Catholic Church existed in the tenth century, in the fifth century, and in the first century, faithfully teaching the doctrines given by Christ to the apostles, omitting nothing. The line of popes can be traced back, in unbroken succession, to Peter himself. This is unequaled by any institution in history.

Even the oldest government is new compared to the papacy, and the churches that send out door-to-door missionaries are young compared to the Catholic Church. Many of these churches began as recently as the nineteenth or twentieth centuries. Some even began during your own lifetime. None of them can claim to be the Church Jesus established.

The Catholic Church has existed for nearly 2,000 years, despite constant opposition from the world. This is testimony to the Church’s divine origin. It must be more than a merely human organization, especially considering that its human members— even some of its leaders—have been unwise, corrupt, or prone to heresy.

Any merely human organization with such members would have collapsed early on. The Catholic Church is today the most vigorous church in the world (and the largest, with a billion members: one sixth of the human race), and that is testimony not to the cleverness of the Church’s leaders, but to the protection of the Holy Spirit.

FOUR MARKS OF THE TRUE CHURCH

If we wish to locate the Church founded by Jesus, we need to locate the one that has the four chief marks or qualities of his Church. The Church we seek must be one, holy, catholic, and apostolic.

The Church Is One (Rom. 12:5, 1 Cor. 10:17, 12:13)
Jesus established only one Church, not a collection of differing churches. The Bible says the Church is the bride of Christ (Eph. 5:23–32). Jesus can have but one spouse, and his spouse is the Catholic Church. His Church also teaches just one set of doctrines, which must be the same as those taught by the apostles (Jude 3). This is the unity of belief to which Scripture calls us (Phil. 1:27, 2:2). Over the centuries, as doctrines are examined more fully, the Church comes to understand them more deeply (John 16:12–13), but it never understands them to mean the opposite of what they once meant.

The Church Is Holy (Eph. 5:25–27, Rev. 19:7–8)
By his grace Jesus makes the Church holy, just as he is holy. This doesn’t mean that each member is always holy. Jesus said there would be both good and bad members in the Church (John 6:70), and not all the members would go to heaven (Matt. 7:21–23). But the Church itself is holy because it is the source of holiness and is the guardian of the special means of grace Jesus established, the sacraments (cf. Eph. 5:26).

The Church Is Catholic (Matt. 28:19–20, Rev. 5:9–10)
Jesus’ Church is called catholic (“universal” in Greek) because it is his gift to all people. He told his apostles to go throughout the world and make disciples of “all nations” (Matt. 28:19–20). For 2,000 years the Catholic Church has carried out this mission, preaching the good news that Christ died for all men and that he wants all of us to be members of his universal family (Gal. 3:28). Nowadays the Catholic Church is found in every country of the world and is still sending out missionaries to “make disciples of all nations” (Matt. 28:19). The Church Jesus established was known by its most common title, “the Catholic Church,” at least as early as the year 107, when Ignatius of Antioch used that title to describe the one Church Jesus founded. The title apparently was old in Ignatius’s time, which means it probably went all the way back to the time of the apostles.

The Church Is Apostolic (Eph. 2:19–20)
The Church Jesus founded is apostolic because he appointed the apostles to be the first leaders of the Church, and their successors were to be its future leaders. The apostles were the first bishops, and, since the first century, there has been an unbroken line of Catholic bishops faithfully handing on what the apostles taught the first Christians in Scripture and oral Tradition (2 Tim. 2:2). These beliefs include the bodily Resurrection of Jesus, the Real Presence of Jesus in the Eucharist, the sacrificial nature of the Mass, the forgiveness of sins through a priest, baptismal regeneration, the existence of purgatory, Mary’s special role, and much more —even the doctrine of apostolic succession itself. Early Christian writings prove the first Christians were thoroughly Catholic in belief and practice and looked to the successors of the apostles as their leaders. What these first Christians believed is still believed by the Catholic Church. No other Church can make that claim.

Pillar of Fire, Pillar of Truth

Man’s ingenuity cannot account for this. The Church has remained one, holy, catholic, and apostolic—not through man’s effort, but because God preserves the Church he established (Matt. 16:18, 28:20). He guided the Israelites on their escape from Egypt by giving them a pillar of fire to light their way across the dark wilderness (Exod. 13:21). Today he guides us through his Catholic Church.

The Bible, sacred Tradition, and the writings of the earliest Christians testify that the Church teaches with Jesus’ authority. In this age of countless competing religions, each clamoring for attention, one voice rises above the din: the Catholic Church, which the Bible calls “the pillar and foundation of truth” (1 Tim. 3:15).

Jesus assured the apostles and their successors, the popes and the bishops, “He who listens to you listens to me, and he who rejects you rejects me” (Luke 10:16). Jesus promised to guide his Church into all truth (John 16:12–13). We can have confidence that his Church teaches only the truth.

END EXCERPT QUOTE

EXCERPT SOURCE: https://www.catholic.com/tract/pillar-of-fire-pillar-of-truth

There are a lot of lies in the media about the Church lately. Of course, this being a conservative forum, we all know that the media lies about Chriatians and pro-lifers and pro-traditional-marriage, And there is no bigger pro-lifer, pro-traditional-marriage Christian body on the planet than the Catholic Church. So, I certainly hope that people adhere to these section rules:

Yup, I’m Catholic. And Colorado, was wrong to enforce laws punishing Catholics for public expression.

No two ways about it.

I have been thoroughly disgusted at the barely concealed glee with which the filthy media eagerly reports the sins of various priests and Roman Catholic leaders. Everywhere there are people there is bound to also be sin. The Roman Catholics can’t escape unscathed.

But why the delight? Leftists hate the church, not just the Roman Catholic church, but the small-c catholic or universal church, that is, all Christians everywhere. They passionately hate the very concept of there being a God we will answer to.

So when they see these sins they exult in the chance to take the biggest Christian target down a peg, to say, see Christians are sinners too! (As if we didn’t already know.)

The leftist media pours forth hate and ignorance.

However, while finding salvation through Christ via the Roman Catholic church is infinitely better than not finding salvation at all, I have issues with it.

I’ve been paying attention to the responses of various priests and bishops when the filthy media covers the stories. They express regret and sympathy for the victims and their plans for solutions and for cooperating with the secular government. But I have yet to hear any spokesman for the Roman Catholic Church ever even mention the fact that the sin was primarily against the Lord God, not the government, or how God feels about the sin.

Kowtowing to the government to the exclusion of bowing to God also disgusts me.

The reason that claim is made, as I understand it, is Mathew 16:18,19 in which Jesus said to his disciple Peter, “And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, …”

The name “Peter” in that language meant rock, so the RC church says Jesus was appointing Peter as the first pope. But a Peter-sized rock was very small compared to the other word for “rock” Jesus used which was large and foundational. No, Jesus was referring to the thing Peter had just said, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”

It’s almost as if Jesus was saying he was not basing his church of fallible men like Peter, little rocks, but on the bedrock that he was the Christ that was prophesied about in scripture. But Roman Catholics have perverted his words to mean the church is based on fallible men.

No. The Roman Catholic church is the first offshoot of the catholic (small-c) church.

Thats is exactly, and they have done a heck of a job at turning the public against the Church.

Well, I disagree, but I am not her to argue, just to share my belief. I am at work right now; when I have more time I will explain my side.

My biggest issue with the Catholic Church is the abuse of children by priests which was systematically covered up for years. As a person who grew up in the 1950s and 1960s, I can’t image how bad it must have been for those children and teenagers who were abused by priests.

Here you had a person who is in an unassailable position abusing you, and there is not a thing you can do about it. If you tell your parents or anyone else chances are they won’t believe you. You could well be in line for severe punishment because you would be accused of lying. Therefore you could do little about the abuse while you were still a minor.

Beyond that is the issue of the church hierarchy who knew what was happening and did little or nothing about it. Guilty priests were moved from one congregation to another as the stories surfaced. They were not removed from the priesthood and perhaps prosecuted under the law, which would have been the prudent source of action.

I lived in Boston when Cardinal Bernard Law was head of the diocese. He was an arrogant, holier than thou type of person who knew exactly what was happening. He chose to ignore it and cover it up. He moved problem priests from one church to another, knowing what they had done. When things got too hot for him, the Vatican moved him to an administrative position there.

The Catholic Church has allowed unspeakable sins to occur, and has yet to address the fundamental problem. Priests should be allowed to marry, and as long the current policy remains in place, the problems will continue.

Try to remember that the VAST majority of child sexual abuse that’s been reported about Catholic priests is HOMOSEXUAL abuse. That’s a DIRECT result of the church not only permitting, but ENCOURAGING gays to become priests for decades as the priesthood became less attractive to straight men…primarily because of its “celibacy” rule. I’ve known a few ex-priests who LEFT the priesthood early on because of the “gay clubs” they saw in seminary and the LACK of consequence therefor. These gay priests somehow got the idea that celibacy ONLY applied to heterosexual priests, and a percentage of these were also pedophiles.

So, this is what I had in mind when I posted the second post in this thread. There are rare few people who know the truth of this issue and I am one of them.

That is an issue of individual people and bad things they have done - that is NOT an issue of Catholicism and Catholic beliefs, which is what this thread is about, and I’d really appreciate it if this thread did not morph from the latter to the former.

I can tell you this: Almost all cases were cases of homosexuality not pedophilia, which the MSM did NOT want to report on, almost all cases involved priests and teenage males and thats homosexuality, not pedophilia. Also, the Church is not a monolithic government despite popular belief. A bishop is like a state governor, and you cannot blame the governor of Texas for the stupid stuff that the Gov. of California does, so there is no global cover up.

Thats the extent to which I want to talk about this in THIS thread. We can continue in another threadf if you want, but I would really appreciate it if people stuck to doctrines, faith and beliefs in this thread.

Sorry, but a 30 to 60-year old man diddling a 13 to 15-year old altar boy IS pedophilia in addition to being illicit gay sex. That said, I have no problem with the Catholic Church, other than the current Pope’s far-left drift and abandonment of the traditional precepts of the Church. My grandmother was a devout Catholic and would be appalled at what her Church has become lately in its hierarchy. I used to be an Episcopalian and LOVED my Church. I left it because it abandoned most of its traditions and now worships on the altar of leftist dogma instead of the Bible…at least the American version does. Some of the world-wide Anglicans consider the United States to be a missionary site where the TRUTH about the Church needs to be taught the heretics. I saw the handwriting on the wall fairly early on when the American Episcopalians “consecrated” lesbian bishops and gave unstinting support to the “World Council of Churches” which condemned the politics of America and its allies, but never had a single, critical thing to say about ANY communist country…EVER…which is ALSO why I left the Methodist Church which my wife and I supported after I left the Episcopalians. American organized religions have ALL gone far left, as far as I can determine, and I’ve visited many of them, from the Southern Baptists to the Pentecostals, Lutherans and even the Churches of Christ. The end result is that I continue to love and worship God, believe in my Lord Jesus Christ as his son, but I avoid organized religions and worship in my own fashion and pray regularly.

OMG. There went my thread. I wanted to talk about faith and beliefs and all I see is pedophile crap. Thanks a lot.

For the record: Pedophilia is attraction to PRE-PUBESCENT CHILDREN. Thats a medical term, so you are WRONG. A man having sex with a 16 year old male is homosexuality, not pedophilia.

Thanks a lot. I am now leaving my own thread.

If the Catholic Church cannot effectively address this issue, your church is in serious trouble. This is a fundamental moral issue.

Morality trumps church dogma and theology. If you cannot deal with that, you really need to examine your position. When you hurt children, you damage the future.

I am done with this thread as well, but the issue had to be raised.

It’s a PR issue; the Catholic was handling this in the 60s-70s precisely how they were instructed to by the same behavioral experts advising Public Schools and other Churches.

Treat it as a behavioral issue, not as a crime.

Pulling priests out of a diocese, sending them to a re-conditioning camp, then allowing them to serve as priests again, was all done at the direction of these theorists.

Yes, there were cover ups. Yes, there have been Bad-actor bishops.

But the Catholic Church is no more inflicted with this than any other organization of its size, secular or religious.

It’s the scandal, it’s the contrast, that makes people (or the media intentionally skewing the picture) think otherwise.

I doubt that many Roman Catholics disagree with how egregiously wrong those few offenders are. But are you joining the filthy leftist media in trashing the whole organization because of the few?

My concern, as I stated, is with the church’s lack of acknowledgement (as far as I’ve seen) that it was sin against God, and lack of stated concern over what God wants to happen.

The Apostle Paul wrote,

There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call—one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. But grace was given to each one of us according to the measure of Christ’s gift. (Eph. 4:4-7)

So Christians shouldn’t join the filthy leftists in throwing the Catholics overboard.

I am not “joining the filthy left wing news media.” My concern as I stated up front is for the children, and the church’s lack of concern for them. I am not throwing the church “overboard,” but I am throwing all of the criminals who abused the children overboard, and the church officials who covered up the crimes when THEY KNEW what was happening. Yes, I am throwing them overboard, and I hope that you have the moral conviction to do the same.

Then you have to throw the entire United States overboard. Why? The percentage of priests accused (just accused, not convicted) of such things is lower than the percentage of men in general who have done such things. That means that as a group, the average American male is more likely to be a pedophile than a Catholic priest. Numbers don’t lie, and the numbers say that YOU are more likely to be a pedophile than my parish priest.

And you ARE joining the filthy leftwing media. You are doing to the Church what the Left does to Trump: You Believe accusations as if they are facts and paint with a broad brush. Out of all these priest stories, show me the court convictions. Hmmm? There are thousands of allegations, show me the convictions for each one. YOU CANNOT. One or two outlayers maybe but that it.

Just as the Left tried and convicted Trump and Kavanaugh on their fake news networks , you have done the same to thousands of priests who have never seen the inside of a courtroom.

You people call yourselves conservatives. What a joke.

And one more thing:

Given your post, you didn’t even bother to read what I wrote. I said that the people who committed the crimes against children and the officials who covered up the crimes should be punished. PERIOD What is wrong with that statement?

If you can’t agree with that statement, then in your world the law does not apply to any of the priests, bishops or cardinals. They can do whatever they want to children and not be liable for the consequences.

Few priests have been indicted and/or convicted BECAUSE the Church has stonewalled, transferred and otherwise protected accused priests AND bishops. If all these priests were actually falsely accused, then WHY would the Church have paid out tens of millions of dollars in “reparations” to the victims and their families? It’s not as if they paid them off as “nuisances”…certainly not in the amounts reported. BTW, if a young boy is below the age of consent, then the offense is gay PEDOPHILIA…not merely gay sex.

Once more for the slow to learn: Pedophilia is attraction to PRE-PUBESCENT CHILDREN. Thats the medical definition. Having sex with a teenager is not pedophilia. What part of that don’t you friggin’ get.

I should have known better than to come back and look at this thread. Goodbye fake conservatives. Have fun acting like Democrat haters, accusing people who never saw a court room. Just remember, they will come for you next