Why I am Catholic

While I am no longer a practicing Roman Catholic, or a Roman Catholic at all, for that matter, I still go to midnight mass ON CHRISTMAS. I do that just for the RITUAL of a high mass, the Gospel story of the nativity, and the hymns. To me, it’s absolutely beautiful, fulfilling, and heartening.

Here’s the actual event: One time I attended Christmas midnight mass with my sister and a friend of hers. I was wearing a heavy cable-knit sweater and was sweating heavily. My sister’s friend looked over at me, and then whispered to my sister, “Your brother is crying . . . how sweet."

Im a protesting Catholic at the moment.

I’m not going to church until this pope is gone. Depending on the next one, I may not go again.

There are no doubt a huge number of people worshiping the same one-and-only God in nearby churches that would welcome you while you wait.

You would call them “protestant” churches, though I think that term should have been abandoned hundreds of years ago. Maybe “proclaimant” churches would be more appropriate. Or just “Christian” churches.

Yeah. I like that.

Not interested, thanks.

“Not interested” in WHAT DN?

Not interested in protestant branches of Christianity. I had posted that I’m Catholic, but currently not attending because of the current pope.
\This Pope is a Dope/

This is one of those threads that makes me miss old jack hectormann

Can’t disagree with you about this Pope. If they keep electing Jesuits, far left is what they’ll get every time.

When I was about 8 years old, I received the sacrament of Confirmation, where the bishop, tall and imposing with his robes and staff, anoints you as a “Soldier of Christ”. The nuns, in preparing us for this solemn event, explained Confirmation as follows (and it’s essential to realize this was in the 1950’s, when “Communism” was in the news every day . . . HUAC and Joe McCarthy having been fashionable):

“Once you’re a Soldier of Christ, if you meet a Communist on the sidewalk and he asks you if you are a Catholic, you must say yes. Of course, if you say “Yes”, he’ll shoot you down. But if you say, “No”, you’ll go to Hell.”

So here I was, an eight-year old, trying to get my arms around THAT dilemma. For years, I lived in fear that I would run into a Communist on the sidewalk, and be doomed no matter how I answered.

Confirmation in both the Catholic Church AND the Episcopal Church has ALWAYS meant “confirming”, as a putative “adult”, the baptismal vows made on your behalf when you were a baby, but doing so on your OWN behalf. Protestant churches (many of them) do NOT practice infant baptism so confirmation doesn’t occur. For those that do, confirmation is as I described above.

They are called “Democrats” today.

I have been given to understand that many homosexuals have been infiltrating Catholic seminaries, just for the potential “opportunities.” I know that many Catholics are concerned about this.

As for the term “protestant”, that was applied originally to people who “protested” the Catholic church - or some of its activities - at about the time of Luther & Calvin. Luther, by the way, never wanted to leave the Catholic church, but was forced out. Anyway, the term “protestant” is generally used anymore to mean “non-Catholic.” The branch of churches I belong to was not part of the “Reformation” (which was really what Luther wanted, not to leave the church); we are derived from a split that was more political than religious (from the Anglicans), but we’re a couple of “steps” away from that. Another branch of the family comes from an Eastern European group (how they broke from the Catholic church is unknown to me, but I think it was before the protestant reformation). They were called “Moravians” by Nicholas Zinzendorf who gave them protection, because they were from Moravia. Their original name was “The Unity of the Brethren.” John Wesley was strongly influenced by them - and now we come full circle, because our church branched off the Methodist church at a time and place where the Methodist Church was less than the best.

And about Peter - “Peter” = “petros” - a stone, something that can be moved, while the “rock” on which Christ builds His church is “petra” - a rock, more on the form of Gibraltar.

The New Testament came from Aramaic, and there’s only one form of the word they have for “rock” in this context, Kephas:

Petra/petros is an adaption Greek translators made, and it didn’t have the same connotation at the time that later forms of Attic Greek would apply to it.

Petra/petros also isn’t a historical criticism of Papacy; it’s come about far more recently. Plenty of Protestant texts speak of Peter the same way Catholics do; they simply claim that he didn’t have a successor.