Why Thousands of Republicans Are Leaving the Party

Why Thousands of Republicans Are Leaving the Party
February 10, 2021 By Taegan Goddard

“In the days after the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol, the phone lines and websites of local election officials across the country were jumping: Tens of thousands of Republicans were calling or logging on to switch their party affiliations,” the New York Times reports.

“An analysis of January voting records by The New York Times found that nearly 140,000 Republicans had quit the party in 25 states that had readily available data (19 states do not have registration by party). Voting experts said the data indicated a stronger-than-usual flight from a political party after a presidential election, as well as the potential start of a damaging period for G.O.P. registrations as voters recoil from the Capitol violence and its fallout.”

A few more months of Biden and millions of democrats will be leaving their party

@MisterBlue must think that Republicans have no core values or political philosophies at all. Many of us are just as committed to our party as you are to yours.

In fact we might be more committed. When I was young, I was a registered Democrat and worked for George McGovern and Jimmy Carter in 1976. I also worked for a Democrat congressional candidate in 1970 in Delaware and got to meet Joe Biden when he was a New Castle County commissioner.

I left the party in 1980 because it left me. I learned that if you were a White male, the Democrats were out to get you whether you had been guilty of practicing discrimination or not.

I worked for the old AT&T at one point. They had a consent decree against them that forced the company to promote quotas of women into higher positions regardless of education, job performance or merit.

The way system ended up working was that all the young women who got hired and wagged their tails in the faces of old male bosses got promoted. Older women, who may have faced real discrimination in the past, didn’t get them. Ironically African-American males were not much better off than White males.

The company used to hold discussions about the system because because morale in the company was pretty bad. One young woman had the gall to tell me, “If you career has to be set aside to make up for past discrimination, that’s too bad.” I was in my early 30s, so I guess I just should have packed it in right there. I didn’t.

1 Like