Without Waiting for Proof, Edward Snowden Foes Begin Spreading Smears

It’s the question on everyone’s lips: "Why is Edward Snowden in China?”The implication is that spookiness is the only plausible explanation for why the NSA whistleblower would have absconded to Hong Kong. “Why flee the country?” is the accusation du jour.

Here’s another possible answer to the accusation-cum-query: Thomas Drake.
Drake is another NSA whistleblower, who did exactly what the insiders are claiming Snowden should have done. He followed the rules. He went through the “proper channels.” He paid dearly for it. Wrote Drake in The Guardian, “I understand why Snowden has taken his course of action, because he’s been following this for years: he’s seen what’s happened to other whistleblowers like me.” Drake shared everything he knew with Congress only to see it go nowhere. He says that after he shared nonclassified info with a reporter, the FBI raided his house, he was threatened with jail for the rest of his life and he was under government surveillance. Writes Drake: “Snowden can expect the worst; he knows that. He went preemptively overseas because that at least delays the prying hand of the U.S. government.”

Without Waiting for Proof, Edward Snowden Foes Begin Spreading Smears - The Daily Beast

1 Like

It could entirely be possible that he did what he did because he thought he was just doing the right thing.

I’ve still seen nothing that would even tempt me towards violating my security clearance.

Regardless, intent doesn’t make what he did become the right thing to do. If he had evidence of the gov’t taking away political opposition in the still of the night, that might be worth it. CIA assassinating families of political opponents, sure. I just don’t find the federal government stretching the limits of law to allow for wiretaps to be worth risking what he did. Risk as in both to himself, and to the nation.

That’s just my take though.

1 Like

It’s one thing to be a whistleblower for things that are clearly wrong/illegal/unconstitutional. However, to flee to a country that would gladly love to offer you a deal for the entirety of your info makes this guy a traitor. One can be a whistleblower without betraying his country.

We have no evidence that he has betrayed the country. All we know is that he is in hiding in a foreign country. That in now way constitutes treason. No I must agree with some of the earlier comments on this topic. As more and more is revealed I find myself less and less upset. Granted had I been in his shoes with his information I wouldn’t have done anything. On the civilian side of it I am disgusted at the governments lack of respect for its own peoples privacy. They can call it protecting me all they want but at the end of the day they have violated my privacy and millions others.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Is privacy a essential liberty? In my eyes yes. How free are you if Big Brother is constantly breathing down your back in the name of “freedom”?

3 Likes

IF he comes to the US and faces the music without divulging secrets to our enemies, then he is not a traitor. He can come back and be the whistleblower without aiding our enemies. The ball is in his court.

We can’t accuse him of being a traitor without evidence that he did anything to aid our enemies. I mean running may not have been the bravest action but cowardice doesn’t equal treason…or any crime really. It just means he was afraid of going to jail for his actions, I sorely doubt China is getting any useful information in which to destroy America. Snowden was pretty low level after all.

1 Like

Snowden claimed that if he had a personal e-mail from the president he could wiretap the presidents e-mail address.

That does not mean he was a high level player. My boss gives me work normally reserve for herself.(attending meetings and what not) That does not make me a big player. Its delegating work. That and if your boss came to you and told you to wirtap ex Presidents what would you do? Now same situation but with a email from the current POTUS?

Do you get paid $220,000 a year? Snowden did. The point is Snowden has/had enough power to do whatever he wanted to in the system and that means he could potentially be very dangerous if he reveled that info to another country.

His potential doesn’t automatically make him a traitor.

1 Like

I didnt say it did, I was just countering this statement

They pay **how **much?..Since Snowden fled his post does that mean they’re hiring now?

Too late I have already been through my first interview!

[quote=“Robert_Clay, post:6, topic:39875”]
We can’t accuse him of being a traitor without evidence that he did anything to aid our enemies. I mean running may not have been the bravest action but cowardice doesn’t equal treason…or any crime really. It just means he was afraid of going to jail for his actions, I sorely doubt China is getting any useful information in which to destroy America. Snowden was pretty low level after all.
[/quote]It’s not cowardice to avoid the legal entanglements of doing the right thing. It’s intelligence. That dude left a lot behind to do this. See quote below. His life has changed dramatically from very comfortable to who knows what. That’s courage. And there’s nothing wrong with trying to minimize the negative changes.

So he’s right now (or it may have landed, radio said he will land “in minutes”) on a regular Aeroflot flight from HK to Moscow, HK authorities said the US did not present the proper documents required to apprehend him and thus had no reason to bar him from exiting, from here he is going onwards to Havana and then Caracas.

Edit: Officials from the Ecuadorian embassy met him at the airport, he has asked for asylum in their country.

Sweet! He got away :smiley: