Woman Ordained as "Catholic" Priest

Came across this today and thought some here may be interested in the story.

" Kentucky woman ordained as priest in defiance of Roman Catholic Church In an emotional ceremony filled with tears and applause, a 70-year-old Kentucky woman was ordained a priest on Saturday as part of a dissident group operating outside of official Roman Catholic Church authority.

Rosemarie Smead is one of about 150 women around the world who have decided not to wait for the Roman Catholic Church to lift its ban on women priests, but to be ordained and start their own congregations.

In an interview before the ceremony, Smead said she is not worried about being excommunicated from the Church - the fate of other women ordained outside of Vatican law. “It has no sting for me,” said Smead, a petite, gray-haired former Carmelite nun with a ready hug for strangers. “It is a Medieval bullying stick the bishops used to keep control over people and to keep the voices of women silent. I am way beyond letting octogenarian men tell us how to live our lives…The ordination of women as priests, along with the issues of married priests and birth control, represents one of the big divides between U.S. Catholics and the Vatican hierarchy. Seventy percent of U.S. Catholics believe that women should be allowed to be priests, according to a New York Times/CBS News poll earlier this year.”

More at the link: Kentucky woman ordained as priest in defiance of Roman Catholic Church | Reuters

I’m a Catholic and I don’t see the harm in letting women praise the Lord as members of the clergy. They too have a soul that is called to the service of the Lord and I don’t think God is a chauvinist. The Catholic Church has a long history of reform and change. Perhaps this is just another change for the betterment of the church and its followers.

My friends mom is the pastor at a Methodist church in my town. Is that the same thing?

Yah…but Catholic Church AND some Protestant Churces do not allow women “pastors”. I believe this is largely based on Christ selecting 12 MALE apostles but there may be more reasons I’m unaware of.

P.S…great picture of Mitt & sons…do you know what beach that is? Take that Putin!! :smiley:

Huh?

Heads up, might want to shrink that avatar down a bit

One can call themselves what they want but if they join a religion and do not want to follow that religion’s tenets one can not truly be of that religion. I have nothing against women but the Catholic Church does not have female priests. That would like someone denouncing the Virgin Mary.

I was referring to Mitts bare chest in her avatar…competing with the many similar shots we have of Putin.

Yeah, my mom is against the idea of a woman being a pastor or holding authority in churches.

and thanks baby ; - )**

I have no idea how D: It uploaded just fine so I figured it was okay

You are not Catholic then. You are going directly against infallible and unquestionable Catholic doctrine and therefore are in opposition to the Church.

[QUOTE=Blessed Pope John Paul II]“Wherefore, in order that all doubt may be removed regarding a matter of great importance…I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church’s faithful.”[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Pope Paul VI]“The Church holds that it is not admissible to ordain women to the priesthood, for very fundamental reasons. These reasons include: the example recorded in the Sacred Scriptures of Christ choosing his Apostles only from among men; the constant practice of the Church, which has imitated Christ in choosing only men; and her living teaching authority which has consistently held that the exclusion of women from the priesthood is in accordance with God’s plan for his Church.”[/QUOTE]

I’m going with FL on this one…surprise!

It used to be part of Catholic doctrine that Jews were ‘Christ killers’ as well. They reformed. They can do so again…

60/70 years ago, the “infallible and unquestionable Catholic doctrine” of doing the mass in Latin was in effect. We changed that rule during Vatican II. To say that Churches can’t change to match the time is, quite frankly, disregarding thousands of years of changes. This about Latin was just 1 in a long line of changes the church has issued since forming under Saint Peter. I am a Catholic, and I have a very strong faith. To believe that God would not allow women to worship Him is obviously silly. To take it a step further and say women can’t or should lead prayer is passe’ at best. Shouldn’t we be encouraging more religious participation? Or are we content with the majority of people leaving the church because it no longer reflects their social mores? The Church is not saying to go out and commit heathen acts, do wrong to others or self, or to behave any differently than before. It is merely saying why don’t we let a devout female lead the congregation in prayer.

Of course, let’s take it a step further. Florida, if they do that they will have a female pope one day. AND? Are you saying a woman is inferior in any way to a man in that a woman cannot shoulder the responsibility for the spiritual well-being of millions of Catholics around the world?

BTW, fun topic, it is rumored that a woman did sit on the throne of the Pope. It’s unsubstantiated but it is a fascinating read for any who wish to look into.

Paleo, I don’t think you meant to be insulting, but you most certainly made a personal state and basically chastised me for being a bad Catholic because I don’t see the harm in letting a woman lead mass or honor God as a member of the clergy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pope Paul VI
"The Church holds that it is not admissible to ordain women to the priesthood, for very fundamental reasons. These reasons include: the example recorded in the Sacred Scriptures of Christ choosing his Apostles only from among men; the constant practice of the Church, which has imitated Christ in choosing only men; and her living teaching authority which has consistently held that the exclusion of women from the priesthood is in accordance with God’s plan for his Church."

Have you ever heard of the Apocrypha? It’s basically a Bible of stories that come from the apostles and Judea and were considered sacred until the Council of Nicaea which was a meeting called by Emperor Constantine to decide which of the holy scriptures should be included in the new sacred text of the Empire (the first Bible as you know it today). They left out numerous books that included Enoch, the Revelation of Peter, and the Gospel of Mary Magdalen and Book of Sophia which show female apostles.

Now, the prevailing theory was that these books are not recognized as holy scripture. Well, up until Nicaea, neither were the others. They left it out because it put women in places of power and import, something that would not go over well with the Roman population nor the growing population of Christian politicians and priests. In fact, until Nicaea and through out much of Roman history when they persecuted Christians, there are reports of female priests. So it is not true to say it was customary nor was it the wish of God to exclude women. That was a Roman political decision.

And you want to witness a Holy miracle? Me and biggles agreeing on something.

Give the devil his due I say…!

Seriously, as much as I would disagree with the RCC on many, many issues, one must recognise that they have been willing to move (sometimes slower than a glacier…), particularly with regard to new knowledge. Their position on evolutionary theory, for example, is to be encouraged…

Looks like the non Catholics agree

I won’t tell the Catholic Church how to run their things, however I also won’t be a part of them either. I don’t take their doctrine as law, only the Bible. Where as Catholic doctrine changes, the Bible is eternal.

Who me? I’m Catholic

1. The Latin Mass was never abolished by Vatican II
  2. The liturgy of the Mass is not an infallible dogma of the Church. (If you want to read the dogmas you can read them here: http://holyjoe.org/dogmas.doc)
  3. Dogmas of the Faith cannot change. A universal truth cannot change from one day to the other
  4. That women cannot be ordained into the priesthood has been declared an infallible truth, meaning it can never be changed
  5. Your understanding of the Faith is incredibly lacking. Sadly, that is true of the vast majority of “Catholics” today.

No, you are not. You are in direct opposition to an infallible teaching of the Magisterium. As a Catholic one cannot reject any teachings that of the Magisterium. It’s like being a ‘pro-choice Catholic’ or supporting homosexual ‘marriage.’ To be in direct confrontation to fundamental moral and doctrinal teachings of the Church puts you in mortal sin and separates you from the Church.

Catholic doctrine does not change. It has never changed and never will change. And Catholic doctrine is never in opposition with Scripture. God gave us two forms of Divine Revelation; Holy Scripture and Holy Tradition which is passed down by the Church. They cannot be in conflict with each other and never are.