World's First Robot-Staffed Hotel to Open in Japan

What if you could check into a hotel, have your luggage carried to your room and order a coffee — all with help from a team of robots?
A new hotel at a theme park in Nagasaki, Japan, hopes to make that dream a reality. The Henn-na Hotel (whose name means “strange hotel”) will be partially staffed by androids that work as reception attendants, robot waiters, cleaning staff and a cloakroom attendant, The Telegraph reported.
Developed by Japan’s Osaka University and manufactured by the Japanese robotics company Kokoro, many of the “Actroid” robots resemble a young Japanese woman. The bots will be able to speak Japanese, Chinese, Korean and English, make hand gestures, and pull off the somewhat creepy feat of mimicking eye movements, according to The Telegraph. [Super-Intelligent Machines: 7 Robotic Futures]
The android-staffed hotel will be part of a theme park called Huis Ten Bosch, which is modeled after a typical Dutch town. Hotel guests will be able to access their rooms using facial recognition software instead of keys, if they choose.
"We’d like to draw visitors to this setting surrounded by nature by establishing a smart hotel, which could be something we could spread through Japan and the world, a spokeswoman for Huis Ten Bosch told The Telegraph.

World’s First Robot-Staffed Hotel to Open in Japan

The world is progressing into new ventures which will be common place. From hotels staffed with robots as well as restaurants and driverless cars the future holds many wonders straight out of science fiction novels and movies.

The ‘face recognition’ part creeps me out. So does the notion that humans won’t be necessary anymore.

Ultimately, what can humans do that computers/robots can’t? What jobs are safe? Politicians for sure and clergy. Probably professional athletes; I can’t see any interest watching in two teams of robots play football or baseball. I can forsee movies and tv fully animated and the viewer won’t even know the difference. I don’t see computers/robots ever capable of true creative thought or self awareness. When you see the impact of the computer/communications revolution of the past few decades and how it has been embraced by billions where this next revolution goes is impossible to predict.

We already have robot fights

There was an article the other day where two full sized robots were going to fight.

Robot wars: Japan agrees to fight America in giant ?Battlebots? duel | Middle East

Programming the computers? Then again, computers can probably be programmed to program.

What jobs are safe? Politicians for sure and clergy. Probably professional athletes; I can’t see any interest watching in two teams of robots play football or baseball. I can forsee movies and tv fully animated and the viewer won’t even know the difference. I don’t see computers/robots ever capable of true creative thought or self awareness. When you see the impact of the computer/communications revolution of the past few decades and how it has been embraced by billions where this next revolution goes is impossible to predict.

Not so sure about the politicians one 'cuz I can’t see androids being stupid enough to vote.

Okay, so let’s say there’s some people around, so I guess you’re right w/the politicians and clergy.
Athletes? Hm. With all their knee and other joint replacements, aren’t they half robot already, anyway? More seriously, I can’t see it being much fun w/o the human element - of both the participants and the viewers.
Doctors will be way down on the list. Like you, it’s hard for me to imagine robots being capable of creative thought and awareness. (Data keeps me second-guessing that one.)

It is both amazing and freaky to think how fast forward the computer age has moved, and keeps moving. I’ve always figured that if it can be thought of, it can be done.
To infinity and beyond!

Remember Jack H’s blog on Artificial Intelligence?