Would-be car thieves gave up, because they couldn't drive a stick shift

A Corvette owner said he was almost carjacked at gun point, but the would-be thieves ran away, because they couldn’t figure out how to drive his car.

It was just after 11 o’clock at night, when Randolph Bean was waiting for his wife to get out of work. That’s when two men took him by surprise while he was inside his bright, yellow Corvette. It was parked outside Orlando Regional Medical Center in Downtown Orlando.

He said the two came from behind. “So, barely caught them in the mirror.”

According to the police report, one of the men had a gun. “He started yanking on the door and made me open the door. He kind of flung it open and dragged me out and demanded that I get on the ground… face down, so I couldn’t look at him of course.”

Randolph, 51, said one of the thieves pointed a gun at him while asking how to use the car. “They apparently couldn’t start it. I had to tell him four different times to push in the clutch, because it’s a standard transmission.”

Would-be car thieves gave up when they couldn’t drive a stick

:rofl: We used to have one pickup at work with Three in the Tree. It was so much fun to send the newbies or the summer help out to get the truck for us!

My Grandparents had an old Dodge truck with that, and a Plymouth Valiant. I hated driving either.

I must be old I drove trucks with gears on the column pretty regularly.

Our family had a number of three-on-the-tree cars. I had occasion to drive the last of them, a '76 AMC Pacer.

My parents’ Dodge Slant 6 had the gearshift on the column, too. I LEARNED how to drive on a stick shift! I didn’t have an automatic transmission until I was in my late 30’s!! At one time, it was cheaper to purchase a stick shift than an automatic.

A Pacer!!! :rofl: OMGosh! I had a friend with a Pacer–it was like a bubble on wheels!

That’s a good description. I think it was the worst car I ever had, though!

Actually, yours was the '75 with the automatic. The white '76 was the one with the three-on-the-tree.

Oh, yeah, I remember now. I was driving the white one when the gears stuck between, and I couldn’t get out to adjust them because I was on a slope, and the car wouldn’t stop. A man from among the other cars I was holding up did it. For some reason, I was thinking it was the other one.

Too funny, Susanna! I have memory “farts” all the time, too! :drool: :thatsfunny:

I drove mainly sticks until 2000. I decided that an automatic was better for me because I have leg problems occasionally and the stick did not offer cruise control which is a blessing. Back when I was younger this was not a problem but the older I got I would be worn out by the time I had drove a couple hundred miles.

My Mustang is a manual, and has Cruise Control.
:beerchug: