Yankee or Dixie?

Yankee or Dixie?

[quote=“rhmorgan, post:1, topic:8780”]
Yankee or Dixie?

[/quote]My score was 45% barely Yankee although I was born and have lived my whole life in Illinois.

My score:

82% (Dixie). Did you have any Confederate ancestors?

58% Dixie even though I don’t live in the South and I’ve never lived in the South either.

53% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category. Oddly enough I grew up in California.

62% Dixie Carter

38% Sgt Carter

Surprise, surprise, surprise

48% Yankee, barely in Yankee catagory.

57% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category.

I have southern roots, even though I have lived most of my life in the Midwest.

46% (Yankee). Barely into the Yankee category.
Funny thing is, I got a lot o’ “South in th’ mouth.”

People always guess I’m from the South,
and when I’m down there, people think I’m a local.

55% (Dixie). Never lived in the south in my life. Some of those questions, I could almost have answered every one, because I don’t say the same thing all the time. F’rinstance, Bag, sack, poke. I’ve used all. “Poke” was in common usage in my area when I was a little kid - about 20 miles from where I live right now. I’ve used “crick” and “creek” - grew up saying “crick,” learned “creek” when I lived in Illinois, but have pretty much reverted to “crick” lately, since I returned here. One word (which was not on the test), I never reverted to what I grew up with, although it’s common around here. That’s “iggle” for “eagle.” I notice that the Giant Iggle - er, I mean, Eagle - grocery stores use that for their video rental outlets.

Strange test. I have a really heavy northern accent, and it scored me only 44% Yank. Not very accurate.

For example a car is - ca

We dont do r’s round here.

61% (Dixie). A definitive Southern score!

I was born and raised in soutwestern IN. Southern IN starts transitioning to a southern draw. If I go to the north of the state near Chicago, They ask me if I’m from Tenessee. When I’m in Tenessee, they call me a Yankee.

You most likely have an Eastern MASS access or even a Bostonian accent. I used to regularly travel to Wayland and Waltham.

Years ago, I made a woman from Sargus angry. I had made contact with her on the ham radio. When I asked her location, she said “Soygus”. Not knowing any different, I repeated it as she said it. She called me a smarta$$ and ended the contact.:biggrin:

45% (Yankee). Barely into the Yankee category.

My family has hardly ever stepped foot in the south. My parents are from New York, and I’ve lived in Michigan my whole life.

I think you mean Saugus, dont you? North of Boston. If you mean that, it is pronounced (Saw Gus)

The woman pronounced it “Soygus”.

Paaaaak the caaaaa in Haaaaavaaaaaad yaaaaaad and waaaaaaaaak to da waaaaaataaaaaaa!!!

I’ve always said Warshington.
Go warsh yur hands.

Yeah, we always “warshed” and “renched” our “close”.

Never said “renched” but I do say “close”.
In Baltimore, natives say “Balmer”,
I always heard 'em saying things like:
There’s a “tall sell” (towel sale) down at Sears.
They get an “all” change for their “cah”,
when they go to the service station.