Your city bus might be listening

Do you know that your local city bus might be listening to your conversations?
Depending on where you live, the sidewalks could be recording your every step. And your lampposts and subway cars may be watching you, too.
Once a paranoid notion of science fiction, perpetual state surveillance is fast becoming the new normal. In some cases, the technology is being activated without the consent of the public.

Surveillance State: Maryland is Listening to You - Reason.com

After the Maryland legislature rejected three bills that sought to activate audio surveillance in buses across the state, the transit authority turned them on anyway, on the advice of the state attorney general.

Wow, shows how much they see themselves as above the law doesn’t it? Laws are only for the citizens, not them apparently.

Absolutely. They are the washed masses of bureaucrats and elected officials who have earned and deserve the authority and privilege of power. How was it earned, and why do they deserve it? Well they got hired or elected. Duh. It makes them better than everyone else, and so they must oversee us among the unwashed masses.

Gah, I hate government today.

Audio surveillance? In Baltimore? For what purpose? It’s not like anybody can understand a word they’re saying, anyway.

As for polls… I was going to say that they matter not; and what does matter is the law. But as you can see by Maylar’s post, that there silly little “law thing” just took a flying leap out the window.

As to, ‘a reasonable expectation of privacy’, not to worry, folks. There’s people right here on this board - some of whom claim to be conservatives, even - will tell you that you don’t have any such reasonable expectation in your very own yard.
(I know; that 4th Amendment is such a yawner.)

A bit of an odd reaction, maybe, but reading that made me want to take a shower.
I’m thinking you catch the drift.

Know what gives them that power, though. Not like I’m telling you anything new, but those of us who aren’t paying attention. And when you listen to those “people on the street” vids, even knowing they edit out the ones w/the proper responses, is it any wonder politicians get the notion that the general public needs babysitting?

Back to Maryland. They ought to pass a law declaring that all city buses must be inscribed w/a certain popular Ben Franklin quote.

Yeah that Scalia he knows nothing about the constitution

Read the article, didja? That’s nice.

(And nope, sorry, not even a nibble.)

Read the constitution “didja”? guess not

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized

Nothing in there about a yard

Yeah I got a little sick to my stomach reading that.